Customization of crafted items

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Cadogantes, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cadogantes

Cadogantes Avatar

Firstly I would like to say that I am opting for allowing players as much creativity as possible. There are games that are almost only about creating your own stuff (like Minecraft) and it proved to be highly valued by players.

So here's the idea: let the crafters change a looks of the items they craft a bit. I'm not talking about completely changing the model. I see it rather like giving them a base model they can mass produce if they like, or modify by adding/removing parts of the model from it's core if they want to customize it's looks (a bit like LEGO). Every item would have a list of possible to add parts, maybe also some kind of limit of how much you can add.

Additional leather stripes on armor? Why not? Tilt a hilt a bit? Go for it. Changing double headed axe into one headed? Whatever strikes your fancy.

What do you think? Would you like to see feature like that?

2. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

I know the concept of "transmogrification" has come up in another thread, and while this isn't quite the same thing, it's close. I actually slightly prefer this idea to the concept of transmogrification because I think it adds more value to crafted items and more value in being a crafter.

Too many games in the past (for sure, UO and WoW come to mind) moved away from value-added in crafting and became more and more item-dependent (kill the big boss and hope for a rare drop that's better than anything craftable) over time. I'd hate to see that happen in SotA, and I'm all for things that make being a top-notch, badass crafter fun, rewarding and, yes, lucrative. That said, there are going to be some limits to what can be done; perhaps there is a "universe of possible patterns" for a partiocular weapon type, and a skilled crafter could make a particular item (with its base stats) look like others in that class of item (armor type or weapon type).

Of course, one could also design the concept of transmogrification to be a skill within the crafting professions (tailoring, leatherworking, blacksmithing, et cetera) so it functionally becomes nearly the same idea.

3. Cadogantes

Cadogantes Avatar

Not quite. This idea is rather complementary to transmogrfication than substitute of it. While transmogrification combines stats of one item with looks of the other, customized crafting only allows to fiddle with looks. I think it would be much more tempting to have some custom made weapon and then transmogrify some neat stats into it rather than just trading one pre-set model for the other.

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't think there's a need for transmog because I don't think there should be stats. Just items.

But I'm OK with the idea of making a sword or whatever look fancy. Or have someone add polish or etching or glow effects.

5. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

How about being able to design the label for the bottles you sell your liquid craftables in?

6. Kordian

Kordian Avatar

Imho, there should be many designs of weapons.
    I mean, let's take swords as instance: I think we need lots of different sword types -all with the same stats, just there for aesthetic choice.
    In Skyrim we had an awesome and huge game where weapons always looked the same. What a pity!

Perhaps you should divide sword (and other weapons too) crafting in 3-4 parts, e.g. pummel (Round, brazil nut shape, cubic...), handling (wooden, leather...), hilt (classic cross shape, "schiavonesca" shape, claymore/laird shape ...) and blade (with or without fuller, tip shape, with carvings...).

7. stile

stile Avatar

They have stated they want to do customization of items when crafted, at least colors and maker marks and perhaps more. But when that can be added in and to what level is not determined.

See the rtc q&a video for source

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.