Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

DataPath Permissions/same folder Issue when migrate, or return to dialogue

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Balec Fares deCani, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

11/9/2016 9:11 AM
    Title: /datafolder Permissions Issue when migrate, or return to dialogue
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details:

Steps to Reproduce:
    Game Options -> DataPath to bring up datafolder path dialogue
    Change directory (e.g. E:\Temp)
    Click Migrate -> Results in Permissions Issue displayed in red (Bug #1 - Migrate is broken, unable to migrate datafiles) [subsequent attempts result in "Path already exists! error"]
    Click Apply
    Game Options -> DataPath to bring up datafolder path dialogue Results in Permissions Issue displayed in red (Bug #2 - message from previous visit to this screen is displayed, inappropriately, upon return - same happens with "Same Directory!")

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 32706
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti GPU RAM: 3038
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.412.Date.11.08.16
    Area: Novia_R3_City_Brittany
    Area Display Name: Central Brittany
    Loc: (436.2, 35.9, 11.7)

2. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Hi @Balec Fares deCani , could you provide more detail on your migration issues? Do you have any of the (source/destination) folders open in explorer? Do you have write permissions in your "new" directory?

The status label (bug 2) should be fixed in the next QA build.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  3. Balec Fares deCani

No files open and yes I have write permissions. It is reproducable like this:

Create new directory (with write privs), E:\temp\temp5
    Quit game and restart
    DataPath -> Default -> Migrate (get an error) -> Set
    DataPath: Enter E:\temp\temp5 and hit Migrate (get permissions issue). Hit Set
    DataPath: Enter E:\temp\temp1 (existing dir) and hit Migrate (get Path Already exists error)

[it seems the Permissions Issue happens when the existing directory is the default and you try to change, then after that you keep getting the Path Already Exists error]

4. Undone

I am unable to reproduce this locally. I knew the migration feature would be tricky! Migrate is attempting to move the Portalarium directory from one place to another. In an ideal scenario I would copy said directory and delete the old one upon successful copy, but there are some cross platform and IO related issues preventing me from doing that. In this particular case I would attempt the following:

* SET your data path to default (note that this will not move anything)
    * locate your current Portalarium folder containing your saves/etc (this may be in the default location already, or it may have been moved in your experimentation), then manually put its contents back to their default spot via your file browser.
    * remove any other instances of the "Portalarium" folder in e:\temp and child directories.
    * Open your data path dialog, enter a new directory, and hit the MIGRATE button

Basically when you hit "SET", the data path is assigned to what you currently have under "now". When you hit "MIGRATE" the client looks for a "Portalarium" folder inside of your current data directory, then attempts to move it to the directory you have typed in the "new" field.

5. Balec Fares deCani

@Undone

Same results previously reported, although I have a little better insight. Also replicated on another Win 10 system with identical results.

Start with default datafolder location
    Create new directory (with write privs), I:\Temp (this directory empty to being with)
    DataPath -> I:\Temp-> Migrate (get Permissions Issue error) -> Set
    At this point, no Portalarium folder is created in the new location, no files moved
    DataPath -> Default -> Migrate (get Path already exists error) -> Set
    This is because Portalarium folder already exists here
    DataPath -> I:\Temp-> Migrate (get Permissions Issue error) -> Set
    If you chat or something a Portalarium folder gets created which in future attempts to migrate to this directory causes Path Already Exists error.

Note that "Path Already Exists" is a very bad message because of course the path exists, the UI checks for that and indicates it is a valid directory. The error condition is when you try to migrate and a "Portalarium" folder already exists in the Path specified.

Bug #1) Permisisions Issue migrating away from default datafolder directory
    Bug #2) Bad error message, "Path already exits" should be "Portalarium subfolder already exists in this location"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  6. Undone

I agree that the error messages can be improved, I'll see what I can do about sprucing those up. Is your i:\ drive an internal hard drive? Could you try the same set of steps with the destination folder c:\temp and see if that works?

7. Balec Fares deCani

All local drives, same results on C: (and all other drives).

8. Undone

Well that stinks! We're going to remove the migrate button for now and provide instructions on how to migrate your data manually. Thanks for bringing this issue up so quickly; I had a feeling that somewhere we'd run into some odd permissions issues that were not easily reproducible.

Balec Fares deCani likes this.
  9. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Boo I was looking forward to this

10. Undone

You can still change the location of where your data is saved/loaded. The removal of this button just means that you have to copy/paste your current data from the old-->new location manually.

11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Oh I know :) but an ingame option would be good especially when you have more than 1 account, its nice to have some separation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.