Death Decay Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What's your opinion on skill/death decay?

1. It's way too punishing, and all loss should be removed from death.

38.6%
  2. I'm generally fine with the system, but perhaps lighten up on the punishment.

4.6%
  3. I'm fine with the level of loss, but would rather it be done differently.

5.0%
  4. I'm fine with the system.

28.9%
  5. It isn't punishing enough. The loss should be greater.

5.4%
  6. Crank it up! I am death incarnate.

6.8%
  7. NEW: Some loss is fine, but the current type and level is excessive

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I think its the same for <100 and more for >=100 so any skills >100 envoke a bit more loss

Sir_Michael likes this.
  2. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

The burden of wanting to KEEP playing the game doesn't seem worth the time and effort. Lets say you want to level a skill tree from 100-120. Lets pick the Death tree. So you are GM full death tree that cost you 38,797,568 to GM the tree. Now you leveled up the death tree to 120 and now costed you 222,230,402 xp. Decay would cost your first death 48,496k (96,993k Full 24 hr) give or take from that tree GM on death at 100 across the tree. Since now you advanced past 100 you get a 2x decay penalty (this upcoming release) Once you reach 120 in that tree across the board you will lose on first death 555,576k (1,111,152 Full 24 hr). I leveled up my entire death tree on QA to 120. It gave me 4-10 dmg, 4 min and 10 max dmg (Naked with no buffs or gear) on my death ray. 10x the penalty to continue progressing your char just to get a few min and max dmg increase. This punishing system makes people not want to continue playing once they reach a certain point and will result in most not wanting to play the game anymore.

Now if you look at how much exp it took to reach from 100-120 in that whole tree... 222,230,402 exp!... Take that and lets say you can earn 500k exp an hour. Roughly 444 hours of grinding to reach that much exp, about 18.5 days played time. Was the time and effort worth the 4-10 damage increase and the 10x the death decay?

I am against the decay system cause it discourages people from wanting to play the game at a higher level. The curve at which you want to continue leveling skills is frustrating enough for the time and effort it takes with the current state of the game... The game already has a soft cap since no one will reach adv level 200 (1 mil an hour would take you 100+ years to obtain)... Why must they punish people who want to continue playing and advance their build? If you want to focus strictly in one magic school or even a melee school why must it be so punishing, leaving a salty taste in your mouth. I loved this game cause i could continue progressing my char even tho it's minor. It might not be worth the time and effort without decay to progress past 100. But having the decay system makes it s not even worth doing so.

3. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

When I die post R42, I lose less than 100k, meaning my max decay (R41 and before) would have been closer to 200k. But then again, it's not only a matter of adventurer level, but also where your XP is put. As has been said, it's harder to maintain skills above GM, so I wanted to GM all the skills I use often before pushing them above 100.

Anyway, 100k XP is not even 20 minutes of farming, and that's a max death. A fair penalty for dying at that level, but nothing significant. Death SHOULD sting. Plus, if you're level 101 and dying every 20 minutes, you're doing something very wrong.

Sir_Michael and liz_the_wiz like this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

When you supplement your argument in favor of the death penalty by giving false information, you lose credibility.
    I'm lvl 98 and the 1st death costs me over 100k, and if I die 3 times within 24hrs I lose close to 200k.

Waits to hear "Don't die so much"......

Sure, if I played alone I'd almost never die, but I'd be bored to death.

I believe that the majority of people who play SotA, do so with friends/guild-mates - and "adventuring" to us means pressing our limits as we grow stronger.
    Many in this thread have spoken about friends/guild-mates who no longer wish to "adventure" because of the xp loss that will have to be made up when they die.

Having mechanics in the game that discourage group play and/or "adventuring" is beyond counterproductive, it's ludicrous.

You people who feel the death decay is fine, how do you spend your days/nights in SotA ?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

ugh this 1000x this.

I can not die quite easily. But ive ALREADY done this grind to get to this point.. Where its stale.
    I said it in the other thread. Death decay discourages grouping. Goes completely against what this game is supposed to do, which is encourage adventuring.

Trying to convince 5-6 other people who arn't HARDCORES, to try to run dragon or so? Yea it probly means setting them back a few deaths. God forbid trying to go into the new dungeons with people my level.
    Especially since people at this point (least for me) im finding are having a harder time playing sota 4-5 hours at a time, as we've already done everything.. so in that 1-2 hour session.. that death Suuux. And jsut leads to me playing other things with friends every night.

- Now i either make a huge push to get to new content, and where the decay is even MORE punishing.. or i find better things to spend my time on. - And THIS is where im seeing players start to fall off.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  6. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

My approach has always been to play Shroud on it's terms - that for me, winning is a measure of my flexibility in dealing with the "reality" of the game. I guess that's my role play - adapting to this brave new world I find myself in. The appearance of decay has created a new play style for me - absolutely avoiding death if possible. It's been a fun challenge, but it is a different game. Previously my philosophy was that if I didn't die enough I wasn't challenging myself enough. I have to confess that I'm not so much doing the varied, crazy, pressing the envelope, and often group things I used to do.

Sir_Michael and MrBlight like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My dad taught me to ride a Jetski in '76 (I was 9) and he said to me that if I was not falling off, I am not trying hard enough. That was solid advice for a jetski and many of lifes challenges. To tell the truth, the jetski was freakin scary at that age, but I ended up becoming pretty fearless on it and had a lot of memorable fun doing it.

Solazur likes this.
  8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Nope. Decay is applied on a per skill basis. It is currently 1/4 % of the total amount of xp applied to each skill on an individual basis.

Then there is the multiplier effect that Chris added:

No decay for skills under 41. (Even if they are not a prerequisite for another skill.)

1/2 decay for skills between 41 and 80.

2x decay for 101+

AND THEN there is on top of that, the thing where only 1/2 of the accumulated xp actually gets applied at death.

So for two players with at the exact same AL, with the exact same xp pools, there could be quite a drastic difference in decay depending upon how they distributed those points.

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I beleive the death decay should be cranked up by alot alot alot more. I make back what i loose in minutes

Zapatos80 likes this.
  10. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

If you loose 150-200k that means you Adventure level is like 98-100. Anyone that high in level can get the exp back in 20 minutes.

Zapatos80 likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What is your adv level currently, @valor and what is your play-style (groups/solo) ?

12. oplek

oplek Avatar

I spend my days/nights not worrying about it. Based on my semi-casual gameplay, I've already mostly reached my soft cap. I knew this was coming, so it causes me to think "Now that I've reached my max, what do I do now?" And I answer that by finding other things to do, with what my character's abilities are. It'd be the same situation if I hit a hard cap. I tend to think that people focusing on achieving massive levels are focusing on the wrong things.

Some commented that death decay causes people to have to grind more. In my case, at least, it discourages it.

Zapatos80 likes this.
  13. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

As I said, that depends where you put your XP. Skills at 80-100 and again at 100+ take more XP to maintain, so results will vary. Read the patch notes before accusing people of giving false information :)

14. oplek

oplek Avatar

My introduction to MMO RPGs was a MUD.

When you died at the highest levels, you didn't lose minutes of XP, or even hours... it could cost you a week's worth. Per death. It also meant you probably lost all your equipment too... and since there wasn't any storage, what you wore was everything you had. The most you could do is store extra money in the bank (which was advisable, because any money on your person would be lost too). That could all happen if you simply walked into the wrong room, and your corpse was non-recoverable. If that wasn't enough, spells for mages/druids were something that had to be loaded off difficult zones/bosses... and to help curb "trash mages", you also had a possibility of losing a "sheaf" of a spell, from your spellbook on death, which you'd have to reload and relearn if you didn't recover your corpse.

None of that is what drove me away from that game. Of course the deaths were painful, if not devastating. What drove me away was frequent player wipes, and *******-infested open PVP.

What that game taught me was to live in the moment. To me, gaining levels in SOTA is almost incidental.

Solazur and Zapatos80 like this.
  15. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

New Poll: How many voters used alternate accounts to vote?

16. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

A nice philosophy and applicable any gaming style.

Zapatos80 likes this.
  17. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Skill decay hurts the casual player and takes a lot of fun out of the game especially for those. In the German community the impact on trust and assurance in the game is already huge. If there is any penalty, it should be like in Ultima Online, temporary.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

FrostII and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Where is that game now?

19. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

You realize it's not 1995 and it's 2017 right? If you want the game to succeed you need to give up the harshness of the old school games... Sure back then it was nastalgia for you... But you need to come to terms that most of those nastalgia people have moved on and have brought new-age people into the market who don't like that.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Then, by all means, remove decay. And if it is only to make the mindless rants stop.
    On the one side people complain about other people with 'too many gms'. On the other hand the very same people go ballistic about the soft cap system.
    Makes me think.
    But I won't be able to change that. So ffs remove decay so I don't have to read more topics like that with circle arguments and broken logic. I am willingly giving up on decay if that stops stuff like this post.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.