Death decay still in game?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Stabbath, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

Died for the first time. Was in I guess a cold area, and died due to that, not noticing the dmg I was taking while fighting two mobs. Anyway, was wondering what the death penalty is in this game? Looked it up, but it seems it's been "nerfed" over time and I don't know what the current state is. Read something about death decay. Takes away ability stats, or skill points? That still in the game? Thanks.

2. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

There is no death penalty at this time. They removed it, but it has been suggested that they will add something back in, at some point.

3. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

No death penalty at all any more, for now at least

4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I wonder if that is completely true. One time I died and all of my equipped tools took a 40 point hit to durability. Not kidding. It was totally bizarre.

There are some anomalies surrounding death and it's not cut and dry. A guild mate swears up and down that he loses tens of thousands of exp when he dies; I've taken big hits to my equipment max durability (effectively a COTO death tax over time), especially my sword.

The long and short of it, new players, is that death is unpredictable and best avoided! Immortality isn't free.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Net like this.
  5. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

Son of a B.... ok, rerolled again thinking I took a hit to ability or stat points etc. Oh well... I think there shouldn't be a penalty for starting characters, getting familiar with the game but after awhile, yea. Slight loss of exp, and durability, make u walk back a bit. Nothing major. I don't mind if others disagree btw. I know it varies from player to player. Read some comment in earlier thread where someone was wanting to have to farm their corpse upon death like in EQ days. Lol, no thanks. What a nightmare that was at times. Had to spam chat for a party, just to get my stuff back. Kill the boss that was sitting on my corpse. Anyway, more power to the person who digs that sort of thing. Maybe I'd go for it if you die like (pick a number) 5 times in 24 hrs or something. I don't know how hard the game is (other than for me to understand it as a new player perhaps) so just threw out the number 5.

6. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

So you will lose some equipment durability. But there is no experience debt penalty like before and they never replaced it.

7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

That's the official line. But it's Twilight Zone in New Britannia from time to time. Strange things happen.

But death is definitely no reason to re-roll. There's no permanent damage to your character.

Way back in the Paleolithic when all exp was half what it is today and death decay had a full head of steam, I used gravity as an express elavator down from the Highvale Outskirts monastary. Nothing happened before AL 40 (if memory serves) and death decay didn't become gnarley until yoy hit triple digits.

Don't miss it much, though.

Net likes this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The XP penalty is gone, but if you either let death timer run out, or if you leave the zone without using an ankh, there is supposed to be a big hit to your item durability, as well as receiving a health de-buff for 10 minutes or so.

9. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

The tool damage has since occured to me three times, always after being ressurectes by another player or at the ankh. I assumed it was because I died successively.

I'll be straight with you - it's black magic, all of it. I have no idea how death penalty works. I don't lose experience, though, so there's that!

10. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

one of the cabalists will do a number on your equipement...perhaps thats what killed you?

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.