Deathmage God Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bioxide, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I would hate to see them reduce the heal component across the board without either scaling or just capping it. I'm heavily dependent on the 30ish that its historical done for me (actively working that up now that I've shored up the melee defensive part of my character a bit more) since using it takes time from doing damage meaning that the time spent needs to result in more healing coming in than damage I took no using the opportunity to stab them for up to 160 (crit)

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They do and I'd bet dollars to donuts that at least some of them have read this entire thread.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What are guys doing, quick get to the mines.

Lets let this be enough.. :)

discipleofweb likes this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

This though.
    Its not even the balance at this point, its a main mechanic of the game of how they have the foundation of how resistance works.

Them changing it in a way your not required to level a ton of magic skills that you never want to use, just to get the resist to even be remotely competitive, is not someting they can simply adjust with a balancing pass. This is a CORE mechanic of the system in place.

This is exactly why there is a PVP gap that only increases. And why new players will never be able to be competitive to veterns, simply because of skill level.

At this point i have 1200 hours in, and i can be 1 shot. But i can 1-2 shot a new person.

Think about that.

6 months down the road? Ill still be able to be 1 shot. While being able to 1 shot even more people. And those peopel who joined in those 6 months hitting 1200 hours can now 1 shot the new players.

There is a MASSIVE PvP gap with absolutly nothing in place that is going to make it anything other then ^ PVP for the pledgers * or running around hoping you dont get seen by one of them, hoping someone else was dumb enough to flag near your level to fight.

Im not going to argue Devs time or how they should use it. But right now this is a core mechanic in place that simply isnt going to lead to a successful game without an implementation of a better system.

Perhaps they have a solution planned? If so i sure havnt seen any comment/remarks on it.
    My major issue with this currently, is that your seein new players asking about PVP.. and its not CLEAR to them that they cant even be near competitive to the average player in game right now, shy of 800-1000 hours of Simply taking the resistances up to par.

nonaware likes this.
  5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I hear you. I have complained about this and the actual production and storing and applying XP to skills, which is kind of a fun system to do but its so silly, use magic and gain xp to store to put into blades....I always wanted them to be innovative, i love the deck system, but genius and madness are split by a hair....At this point it all to late...

The only way that they can make this game attractive to new players, the blood of the game, no new players no game, is to wipe everything when they have their metrics of what has worked and what hasn't. Especially after hearing the post mortem today with regards to nerfing resources( i know not for this thread but it underlines the attitude that us older players will always be king of the castle with skills/resources/crafting etc) and what a pittance of a life new players will have here with no method apart from a massive time sink and a massive cost to even become moderately useful in the world...They will have to wipe, no question.....Or/and they release on console as well, which was talked about one telethon actually, which i think might be there idea, meaning a new world and all players here now can stay with the damaged out of sync world or get a free option to start a new character there... No lies on no wipe but a new world fresh where all start as equal as pledge allows.

Lets talk 1 month....im getting off this hamster wheel.

MrBlight likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

But lets go back to the core message about death because you have a lot of random points. Reading what you say it seems like you agree that death is OP and that you have tried every other build and you have settled on Death because it is over powered. You kinda rip on people who want to play different builds in this game of the 10+ major different types and that is their fault for being weak players who want to "run around like Thor" and not pick death? Your position is actually baffling to me, please clarify.

Are you for or against balancing other class's so they can either compete with Death or nurf Death to match other builds, bring it down from god powers to reality so people cant solo boss mobs with 10K hp with it non-stop?

I think this comment kinda exemplifies the issue, specifically with the 1% of this game. While "moving on" works easy for people running around with 100 GM's playing the game 18 hours a day, it does not for the normal person who has maybe 2 hours a night and then some good time on the weekend to try. ITs easy for you to find that dev "math" mistake and start pounding 10K hp boss mobs again... gaming the system.

These people like say... me... have 1500 hours in since persistence and they are just starting to tap out in one skill tree, and thats only say 3 GM's in that tree.

When death is nurfed... and again... it will be... you can easily move to the next uber skill while casual players cant. Now, I seriously doubt we will ever see another class build from dev's that can solo 10K hp boss mobs like a death mage, but who knows with our dev team, these things keep sneaking out of the corners on them.

But in the end you have a false equivalence because I have no issue with you being able to flip to good builds... But the issue with death is not that... Death is a completely over powered build in the game. If your future moon build makes you 5% stronger then my earth build then so be it, but at least its not 10x better like death.

Then it may be back like the old days where I could almost beat you in PvP even though you were many many levels higher then me (running around like Thor with a 2H hammer)... which is due to skill... not gaming the system.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

.. Normally i like and support your posts Corp Por.
    But the sheer fact is your in the top 1%. Your *feel* of how things tie in for the average levels is probably really outa whack.. as your simply not running with the average level players.

You won EVL last week, not using death.

Did you face someone with 100% equal exp put into death? Does that actually really determine how death matchs up against other things? Or is it simply that your leaps and bounds past the majority of people you fight. And that if you were to restart a new character, put 7 days into a pure death mage. and 7 days into a pure air or fire or any other type of mage , a fighter, and an archer.. you might see where a lot of people feel death is OP.

So honestly your PVP win doesnt really mean anything in the debate of 1 skill vs another, unless your actually matching up the fair exp devotions of each in multiple situations.

Okay so you killed a Death mage, yet that death mage can pull in x5 the EXP as any other class, or solo a boss that no one else can with teh same amount of XP devoted. Does that still make him weaker then you when comparing the strength of the actual skill, and not just when it ties into PVP?
    Thats the debate..

Run 3-4 new characters... death mages definitly are feeling the strongest and best pick atm (in the MAJORITY of the aspects of play ) .. its not exactly an un - supported opinion.

8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

This is why I like you @Corp Por, we agree on things such as this ;)

Regardless, the fight would depend on many factors such as pre-buff or no-buff start, size of fighting ring, etc. and while I may have had you on the past, you're one of the players who would get me most the time unless it was from a no-buff start and the size of the ring was constrained. Also, I'm putting Knight's Grace in my deck now as you're sure to have given someone an idea with that Confusion nonsense ;).

Stundorn and Corp Por like this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Shhh.. just trained up my deathmage god spec.. everythings fine here move along nothing to see..

Where is my ring of godkind...err um lichkind

-novias newest deathmage

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I guess you didn't notice that all buffs now increase with attunement including celestial blessing. So every 11 points in moon including points in Celestial Blessing raise Celestial Blessing's defense thus gming Celestial Blessing does increase it's power.

11. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

The issue extends way beyond the need to get resists.

For reasonably casual players or even average players, as content and combat encounters get harder, even on landscape mobs, it will require the need to spend more and more time raising skills you either don't want or don't have the time to raise.

Death currently doesn't work on undead. Fine, kinda makes sense until you actually want to use Death because you like it. As in most fantasy settings a lot of the mobs are undead, so unless you raise skills you don't want to that portion of the game is locked off to you. If you have the time to raise another skill then maybe you can fight undead again. Maybe in the future you find more mobs resistant to the skills you have. What then?

This issue becomes increasingly problematic as higher level mobs require higher skill levels to effectively fight them. It's not so bad raising skills to 60 or even 80 maybe, but those numbers will not allow you to tackle difficult content as the game progresses. We shouldn't be forced to raise whole tree's just to be reasonably effective tackling the content and no mobs should be so resistant to any damage that the tree is useless. Some partial resistances certainly, but not to the point where you will need multiple GM's in various schools to be effective. Also player resists should be linked to stats maybe. Int for magic resists, strength for melee, dex for ranged. At least these will raise for everyone pretty fairly and not require individual schools.

At the moment the combat and resists system are geared towards the hardcore which can't be good for the long term of the game.

Stundorn and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

im close to the end of my teather, It is literally so inexpensive to Raise skills to 40 across all trees, and then to 60, Why should the people Who have a lot of time to play be penalised? What purpose does it serve?

Im all for balance and equality, But when all im hearing is '' Those guys are so high level, Nerf the spells they use so they cant progress much further , because i cant be bothered levelling Skills when it is the right thing to do''.

Stop Whining, Start Raising :)

Onyx, fonsvitae, Vrunk Hrrk and 4 others like this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

There is a need for balancing (not nurfing) in all trees. The grass is not always greener as there is often a blurring between player knowledge/skill/ability and template power. There should be much more interesting content for mid-range players and those who like to solo.......at the moment SotA is more of just a grind for that player base offering very little of interest.

@Brass Knuckles be careful with that ring, no one can heal you and the only way you can heal yourself is through a life leech......best hope you get to those ranged attackers before they crit you to death through your cloth armour :)

14. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Maybe one of the death mages can answer this question as I have not experienced it from the death side. Do the healing debuffs like from rend lower your life drain? If not this might be a good way to balance the skills without lowering Death magic directly. Simply add situational skills that lower heals either mobs placing heal debuffs on death mages and other skill users will have a counter to death mages other then using magic since life magic can already be countered this way. This would not directly lower death mages but allow other skills to be buffed to counter them.

Sara Dreygon, Stundorn and mass like this.
  15. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

thats actually an interesting Concept.. i dont think it does atm, But then again, thats the point of death

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Haha really I was just having fun, I dont have the ring yet. And to be honest I will try death mage spec but atm elypsium has my attentions.

And I dont want death nerfed, I want each other tree great in its own right. It will get there I know.

Your not hearing that from me I have serious investment in to 10 trees though I only have 29 gms no where near ur 85, ive paid my dues and even have death pretty deep even boast a couple gms. Ive explained my points fairly.

When the masses esp top players are all going to one build/tree there is a problem, but ofcource people want to hold on to what they got and I get it.

Speaking PVE talk 85% of all the other trees cant compete with the sheer power of death. Yes I get the undead immunity but we all know thats a distraction all the good content is still left viable. Bring up the other trees, make them fun and usefull and no one will care.

Then we can all complain about the polearm gods lolz. Though super high critz hrmmmm

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Sara Dreygon and Stundorn like this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You placed 3rd, I placed 4th over all for the entire season as a "Thor 2h hammer waving" blunt the first half and then earth the second.... I didnt fight in the last 3 weeks because I thought I had 3rd locked... you were under 21 matches and caught up at the end. How many levels on me do you have, I still only have 10 GM's, how many do you have?

1% man... 1%! Im lucky to play the game 2 hours a day.

Edit: BTW: I think blunt is probably actually the only class that can take out a death mage right now if they gave it more damage. Mostly due to stun... stun....stun... knockdown.

Sara Dreygon and Brass Knuckles like this.
  18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

People do have a good point about death not working on undead,

Bug report it, Earth elementals used to be immune to all Earth and they fixed that. But, they did not fix Sand elementals. I submitted a bug report on sand elementals and they fixed in a few days. Its hard to hit them with earth unless you have high attunemnt like me. The same should be in place for death on undead. You should be able to hit them but they would have really high resists.

Fight that battle with dev's, you should win.

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why should Death Magic work on things that are already dead?

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's a feature... a planned inefficiency.

Stundorn and Brass Knuckles like this.
  20. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Magic canceling itself out in PVE has to do with pets and agro I'd imagine. Before the fixes, you could summon up an earth elemental and let them agro and take on all the earth elementals while you mine... same for fire elementals with mages... Of course undead pets on undead mobs - not sure that's really as big a deal as the other loopholes since they're on decay timers as soon as they're spawned... then again, dat harp of invigoration! :D

Besides, death magic isn't about being evil or being dead - it's about the transference of energy.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.