decay for decoration?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Lars vonDrachental, Aug 9, 2019.

?

Do we need decay for decoration?

1. Yes, we need decay for decorations.

2. No, we don't need decay for decorations.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

As you may have heard from time to time in the streams the current mechanic of never fading decorations is generally a problem for the game as once you have all decorations for your lot you will never ever need anything again and that still sounds like a big problem for the crafting and trade mechanic.
    I know this is nothing we would like to talk about but I guess in the long run we should find a adequate solution as soon as possible. ;)

First question: What kind of decoration decay mechanic?

1a constant decay
    Basically each item has a durability and in specific time steps this durability is reduced e.g. once a day.
    In this case there would be alike to agriculture a location indicator thinkable = inside of houses the decay is different than outside of houses.
    As a side note this would also make exceptional decorations an option as they would offer a larger durability.
    For example a sturdy chair has a durability of 50, every day the durability is lowered by 1 and after 50 days the sturdy chair is broken. (I know this sounds quite fast but it’s just an example!)

1b random decay
    E.g. every day at noon there is a roll for each item. There is a 99.99% chance for each item to stay intact and a 0.01% chance for each item to get instantly broken. In this case no durability is needed.
    If you are lucky you can keep all your items for years intact but if you are an unlucky fellow your items are regular broken.

1c combination of constant and random decay
    There is again a roll each day with a 90% chance to not change the durability and a 10% chance to reduce the durability by 1. Using again the sturdy chair with a durability of 50 it is to be expected that the chair last 500 days until it is broken but even if you are a misadventurer it would at least take 50 days to break.

1d decay on usage
    Again the item lose decay on a regular basis but just if the item is used in any kind of way. E.g. if it is a storage and items are stored inside, if it is a shelf and other items are standing on it, if avatars are using the items like a chair to sit down,…
    Using the decoration is activating a flag and if the flag is active the durability is reduced.

I personally would prefer 1c or 1a as this is creating a equal need to repair for everyone. If fear 1d would create a “do not sit down” scenario and 1b is for my liking too unpredictable.

Second question: What should decay for a decoration mean?

2a broken and unusable
    The item is broken cannot be repaired and you have to replace them. Basically the decorations would look like the broken furniture you can buy in the addon store. In this case addon store item either do not suffer decay or are the excluded and can be repaired.

2b broken, unusable but repairable
    This would be the same mechanic like gear. Again the items would look like the broken furniture in the addon store and you could not use them anymore but you could repair the decoration. Alike to gear for non addon store items the max durability is getting lower and lower creating some kind of appeal to replace the decoration from time to time.

2c broken and repairable
    Again similar to gear repair but this time the decoration stays usable but looks worn/damaged.

I personally would prefer 2c as the items would keep their function and this way decay for decorations would be mostly just a visual problem some avatars can ignore. 2a would generate a too large need for addon store items and out of my perspective 2b would still be a too negative as losing the usability is a huge impact.

Third question: How to repair decorations?

3a crafting station
    Following the current standard you would need to take the item to the crafting station use a repair kit and bring the decoration back to the old location.

3b right click on item
    By using the right mouse button on a decoration you can select “repair” and if you have a fitting repair kit the item is repaired.

3c lot menu single decoration
    By using e.g. your lot marker you get a list with all decorations and their repair status. Next to each item is a button that is repairing said item if you have the needed repair kit.

3d lot menu summary
    By using e.g. your lot marker you get a summary status of the lots deco decay and the needed repair kits to repair all items on the lot.

I personally would suggest to use 3c and 3d as this seems to be the most user friendly solution in this context. 3a seems to be a big problem as it might have taken a while to find the right spot for a decoration and doing that again and again might be a pain. 3b might be an option but I guess it could be sometimes tricky to click on the right decoration as they are sometimes overlapping.

If you do not want decay for decorations I would like to hear your explanation why eternal decorations are no problem and if you think there needs to be some kind of decay I would like to hear your ideas and suggestion. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.