Decaying Houses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fredrick FlameGrinder, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I am quite sure that there will be plenty of spaces even after backers have placed. House buying/selling will form part of the economy.

2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Because in UO the world was littered with houses and most of them sucked... this will create a much better total gaming experience by controlling the environment and allowing some locations that shouldn't be "zoned for residential" to have random popup houses.

3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I think it should. I wonder if it will be like SecondLife.

4. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

http://sotawiki.net/index.php?title=Housing Has information on how you get a house. Also, the game has a design and it's played within that design... just like you couldn't walk through walls in Counter Strike because someone decided it was a bad idea... you cant have floating "Castles in the Sky" with unlimited housing here... They have also said that there will be more lots added as the game map is expanded so it's not like the first players to get houses will be the only ones... this game will be around for YEARS. With the lot reverting process it helps keep inactive players out of houses. Hope this helps!

3devious likes this.
  5. 3devious

3devious Avatar

What you mentioned just would control where people could build, not whether or not they could have a place. Just by saying that there should be enough housing for everyone does not mean that there should be housing everywhere. I honestly don't think there will be so many players that we'll have rolling acres of houses.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Backers get a house because they have invested money to actually make this game happen. Normally if an investor pumps money into a business they expect a return......in the case of SotA the investors don't get an annual monetary return, they get in-game items such as houses.

I can guarantee that anyone who works hard enough in-game to achieve the goal of having a house will have one. The early stages of the game (before plots are taken) the prices will be reasonably cheap, after all plots are taken it will be down to market forces. There will always be buyers and sellers.

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I do. I expect this game to have millions of players. I think there has been almost zero publicity and it already has over 25k backers... many are waiting (I know of a dozen IRL) to buy with no incentive prior to release. I also expect they aren't going to just create endless map space for houses that doesn't make sense... this is a story that we're supposed to be living. The housing is part of it. This isn't a housing game with a side story... it's a role play game that allows ?10000? (picking a number out of thin air) houses to it's map at release... if there are only 3500 players then you're right and everyone will get one and it's grand... I'm nearly 100% sure that all those backers are going to play and they won't have enough houses for even those who have backed... that's already an excessive amount for what housings role seems to be (facilitate a form of player driven town and gearing system instead of npc driven town and vendor created gear).

Again, speculation from what I've watched and guessed.

8. 3devious

3devious Avatar

That article that you linked hinted that you might be able to have a house in an area that is almost a frontier and that there might be a siege. In that instance your house wouldn't be wrecked just inaccessible for a time. It would almost give you an incentive to defend it. (You might even need to cooperate with others to keep your houses safe.) I really love this idea.

I have no problem with the lot reverting process at all. I still don't think it's a good idea to have less housing than players. In SecondLife there was plenty of land it's just land that was near activity centers went at more of a premium. I hope this game follows that kind of model. Maybe the expensive plots of land could become those that are near more convenient natural resources or those that were safer. I just think it would be better if it there were enough land just some locations are more desirable than others.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Backers only get a house at $500 level and above. I am fairly sure that this segment is a very very small proportion of the overall community who have pledged.

10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I hope you're right. The MMORPG market is very fragmented and growing even more so. Even WoW needs to start doing server merges. I login to many of my favorite games and they are ghost towns (yes, I do have sucky taste in games.)

A lot of people who backed this game are pretty excited about the single player element of the game. In that case we could really lose out on the community if they only play in that way. I am not sure what's going to happen. Just hope for the best I suppose.

11. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You had better be a good neighbor then. I am working on modeling my dog and converting it to Unity. If it gets approved, I'll send her after you if you get drunk and "water" my garden some night.

Ronan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.