Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Deck swapping should be repositioned

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Moiseyev Trueden, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Deck swapping should not be a required passive skill before being unable to reduce glyph cost and fizzle chance. It forces the mage build to skill up in a useless passive.

***Updated title as it was pointed out this isn't just affecting mage builds.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Aldo, agra, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Why not? Once you get it to 10 just lock it, It is easy and swapping a deck is almost always handy to have around, an alternate deck with some other not always used but sometimes needed spells is a nice tool. Sorry you don't like it but it looks fair and easy to train around.

And it shows yo actually want to train focus not just have it the easy way :)

helm, FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's not just a mage problem. everyone uses focus and can use those skills, and i never use swap decks.

4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Because it has absolutely nothing to do with magic focused abilities or the other parts of the passives it is with. Split deck swapping into the side of focus that actually is DECK related. Have it block Mind Wipe and Mind Lock or as a final culmination of both of those. It has nothing to do with not wanting focus on focus related skills and the skill tree. It's the same reason though why weapon and armor preservation don't block train strength and heavy lifter in the tactics skill set.

Nothing to do with wanting it the easy way. I want it to be intelligent and show a path for why you learn it. Having to train something just to lock eternally is stupid.

5. helm

helm Avatar

OK firstly, we are talking of exp amounts in the ballpark of 100xp, if you just want to get it "out of the way".
    Secondly, this is fair or unfair for all builds, not just mages, as quite a few important non-magic glyphs use focus.
    Thirdly, that part of the tree deals exclusively with spending of focus so at least to my mind it actually has quite a lot to do with the other parts of its branch.

Mind Wipe and Mind Wipe are active glyph manipulators, but deck switching does not deal just with glyphs, it also deals with equipment. So I think it would not be any happier a marriage in there either.

There are quite a few more useless things just blocking the way in the skill trees ;)
    As @Weins201 said deck swapping is indeed quite handy for everyone, maybe not so much at first but it can become a lifesaver later. I have it locked at around 30 for now, but will likely train it later after fulfilling some more pressing xp needs.

Moiseyev Trueden and Weins201 like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

In that mind set, ;) I am an Archer and have fir arrow, ice arrow and obsidian arrow I my skills, why should I have to train the fist skills, :( sorry but that argument is it totally baseless. Training them does not take much exp or effort especially to level 10. :cool:

I am sorry you don't like it o_O but we have clearly shown why this is not really an issue :D

I see and know why you don't like it . . . .

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

No, actually no one has clearly shown why this isn't an issue. Some of you disagree with me, and that's fine. But I disagree with those of you who think it's a perfect fit and doesn't need to be re-evaluated. Your opinion does not dictate fact and an instant trump. Nor does the hand wave of it only being 10 skill levels. That has ALWAYS been a stupid argument and position to use. If you really think it should be there, then why not move it to the bottom of the passive chain? It just doesn't mesh well with the other passive skills in the Focus chain.
    I would hope so as I just stated why I didn't like it in the OP and then clarified it again in my second post. But still always happy to know I've expressed myself correctly and didn't obfuscate things.
    I don't disagree that it would not necessarily be a happier marriage there, but it does fit better there in my opinion. I acknowledge that deck switching also affects equipment switching... and that also has nothing to do with the other passive skills being locked by it.

Valid point. It isn't just a mage problem. The focus reduction is definitely useful for everyone.

helm, GreyMouser2 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

There is supposed to be an intelligent progression of skills. You have to minimally control an element and draw it to yourself prior to flinging it (hence the reason behind fist prior to ranged). Same reason why you learn to surround a small melee item with flame prior to being able to engulf an entire area centered around your body with flame.

My complaint is not just about a stupid and pointless skill. It is also about the logical progression between skills that are supposed to build on each other.

I have however updated the title to reflect better clarification.

GreyMouser2 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think its absurd that an avatar can change armor in the middle of combat... also cheap steel armors do not rust, theres tons of things I would have designed well way before we even invented skill trees.

And I dislike skill trees, always did, in fact it was one of my main arguments to keep playing UO and not lose my time with kid games like WoW and Diablo... skill trees : how to limit peoples creativity.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Your argument ends here sorry - you are the one who calls it "stupid and pointless" sorry I'm done here.

11. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Wow, score one for you Mr. Debate team leader.
    Do I need to call out the tact police again?
    Please be considerate instead of trying to squash other thoughts that are not your own.
    Thank you.

12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yes I am calling it that. My personal opinion of the skill is not what I was arguing about, but its logical placement.

I will however respect that you are hung up on my phrasing and do not wish to engage further on skill placement.

13. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm not sure I understand the issue so I won't disagree on whenever or not a change needs to be done (and to what extent) but I will say that I feel like it make sense to put deck management skill under a tree that is all about managing resources.

Focus, Glyphs, Decks, etc.

14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Gix I have no issues with it being in the Focus tree, as most deck/glyph related skills are. I would just like to change its current position within that tree.

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Moiseyev Trueden Ah! I get it. Well, I'm not a fan of blocking Mind Wipe as I don't find Deck Swapping to be that useful for me.

Problem is: nobody wants to be forced to unlock it but those who want to use it will want to grab it a soon as possible... so its movement can only go sideways.

Personally, I'd swap Intelligence and Deck Swapping around. Deck Swapping would no longer be a requirement for anything and Intelligence is never a bad thing to have. Makes sense to be a tad smarter to be more efficient with glyphs.

Beli, Moiseyev Trueden and Alley Oop like this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yup, I been thinking about it and I think the deck swapping is a freakin powerful magical skill, it should be at the end of the tree somewhere.

17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I agree. Deck swapping has nothing to do with the skills below it in the tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.