Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Deck system works for magery , but not for melee !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by KingRoland, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

So, dont play how I want to play, or was told I would be able to play, use formula #1 and be like everyone else.

Interesting solution.

Exactly that. If this deck system with random slot popups is supposed to be designed as a superior solution to static hotbars, let that play out and show everyone it is.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

NO WAY. lol how will a mage be able to cast a spell with all those slugs? I have an idea, since nobody wants slugs why not remove slugs from the combat system all together?

I did an LoL but I'm not joking about removing slugs. They aren't needed, I truly believe that. It just makes the deck system more of a problem/stressful than a more traditional system.

Kaisa likes this.
  3. Jarl Hamrick

Jarl Hamrick Avatar

I have gotten used to the glyph system now after killing a lot of elves so in regards to using it for PvE I have no problem though I still dont see the reasoning for it.
    Personally I do just as well locking my bar so its not a big deal now.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well the point is if most peoole want to lock their bar then they are wasting time developing a system that nobody likes or uses.

I think it is totally fine that you like doing things this way. This isn't against you. This was a test of combat for feedback to the devs. R9's version of the deck system isnt popular.

This does affect you since they are spending resources on developing this system that is taking resources away from developing something else you like.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Joviex likes this.
  5. Jarl Hamrick

Jarl Hamrick Avatar

Oh ya I agree. I dont think most like it.
    What I have been asking all along is what is the reasoning or logic behind it?
    If its just to do it because you can thats not really a good reason I dont think.
    If its because of perceived button mashing then its just random button mashing now so whats the purpose?

It seems just like a gimmick to me but then again I might not know the story behind it.

Joviex and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

They say it is to represent reality. You know a lot of skills and you can't always think about them all the time. I never truly bought into that, but I liked it in R8. R8 the system didn't get in the way for me. Since there was no cool down I could discard, and cast several of the same spells within a short period of time. In this release there is a cooldown that slows down our discard rate, and basically ruined that experience for me.

So if the idea is to make it so we don't always have the skills we want at a given time then I totally agree with all the people months ago (myself included) that said this system is flawed by design. However I hope they tweak the deck thing in the next release. If they don't then they designed a really frustrating game as far as combat is concerned. Since combat is a major component of the game, then it could also be said they made a frustrating game. That's why I'm making such a big deal about it, and I am glad others are too!

Joviex likes this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think the point was that heavy armor melees have two problems, both a lot of slugs and having to run to close the distance to a PVP target. Meanwhile, mages have neither problem. They simply stand and fire.

So why not flip the system, where melees problem is not slugs, but still closing the distance. A light armor mages problem is getting spells off. Is reagent requirement and fizzle enough of a threat to mages to balance with a melee's need to run across the field?

8. Jarl Hamrick

Jarl Hamrick Avatar

Why wouldnt we always have the skills we have learned or be able to think about them? That doesnt make sense really.
    If I took the time to learn the skills or spells then I should have them ready to use. I dont think they would just pop into my head randomly.
    Thats kind of my point, there is no real logic behind it, its more like hey this makes our game different then others so lets do it.

Well you dont have to different from other games in ways that dont make sense. That doesnt make sense.
    There are other ways to go about this I think.

Joviex likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

And my answer remains the same, why not do away with slugs entirely. Why punish people with slugs? If melee people need to get up close then let them get up close.

I played both melee and magic. I liked magic more, but I had reasonable success with bludgeons because of all the stuns. Also blades have some serious good attacks. Although I have to admit I needed the root spell to effectively use blades though. Bludgeons can work without root, because its skills are almost all stuns.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What I think they are trying to mimic is that you wouldn't always be able to have the perfect chance to use skills in battle, since it is a fluid thing. You can heavily weigh the chance of that skill being available to you in combat, which leans towards a person who practices more with said skill. A hot bar with every skill available all the time is static.

There are benefits in it allows them to give out combo's based on when those skills come available, instead of hitting slot 1 2 and 3 and getting a bonus, now there is a chance that with the right draw you will have a combo come available. Which also creates a bit of fluidity.

I don't think a person should be multi blasting any skill over and over again...I think there should be a slight delay when you discard in order to stop the combos from popping up like crazy....and slugs make sense to me in the fact that the bulkier the armor the more likely it is you want be as nimble to use the armor.

Now, that doesn't mean I think it is balanced just right yet.

Net likes this.
  11. Jarl Hamrick

Jarl Hamrick Avatar

Ya I can see that. And maybe the more you develop your ability to build a proper deck you can mitigate a lot of that randomness too.
    I can almost buy into that. I will need to ponder this more between now and the next testing window I guess.
    We will have a whole month to think about haha :(

On that note they should let us play with the current tested build in singleplayer offline only until the next testing window comes. That would be cool at least we could run around and play with decks and do PvE to get the hang of it.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The more you load up your deck with a skill the more likely it will appear. The crappy part is there really isn't a guide to doing that just yet. I know there are some threads but I have no idea where they are.

The Offline test thing was something I have asked for in the past and was told it wouldn't happen:( too bad...would allow people to really get the hang of the system. I think at the moment the learning curve is huge but with further testing/refining it will get better.

Keep in mind after every release people are really high or really low...reality is somewhere in the middle.

13. Apollyon9515

Apollyon9515 Avatar

I just find it funny most people dont like the deck system compared to very few who do like it.... I like UOs combat system and id imagine alot of the people here came from UO so why not listen to your members and let people use whatever skills however they want?

I think cast/cool down for bigger skills is one thing but I was trying to explain the deck system to some people who hadnt played the game and i think they thought i was on drugs or joking with them because it made no sense.

Its still pre alpha so anything can happen i just cant understand why they dont change it since most dont like it and they could let those that do like it still use it VS locking it.

RancidRat likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

After release 8 the majority liked it actually.

15. Jarl Hamrick

Jarl Hamrick Avatar

Is there a way or skill that will allow you to have more then 4 of something in a 20 card deck?
    I havent played with it enough to know that. Is that determined by how many points you put into the skill or is it augmented by something else?

16. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

you cant expect a game is balanced in alpha but for what i hoped are some innovative system for a melee fighter. still think melee combat need another hotbar

17. Net

Net Avatar

Well, while not all decks were viable, I have learned that heavy armor + melee were just as effective if not more as ranged/magic decks. I should know as pure mage (with no melee skills). The penalty for light armor is that sucessful melee attacks drained 3/4 of my life and often killed me. Not to mention all those nasty stuns and knock downs. The penalty for heavy armor are slugs but you have much better protection against attacks.

Also melee players usually have plenty of focus, they should lock their skills.

As most of my deaths were caused by melee players I do not think they need more advantages. I just think that many people need to learn how to be effective in PvP (be it as melee fighters or mages). Is there a recording of the Bear Tavern Brawl? It would show you how good can be melee players.

PS: I like slugs with heavy armor, it makes people "slower" in it, which is right. You can perform more actions if you vere lighter armor (casual clothing).

Jynx likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is not a personal attack. However, why should they develop a deck combat system and have half of the community need to use a locked toolbar? I thought the locked toolbar (classic style), was supposed to be optional? Why is it now becoming a necessity?

If anything they should encourage the use of the deck system, since they are going through the trouble to make it and all.

19. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

effective is something different then fun . look my first post .

instead of attacking, and taking advantage of good movement as a fighter you face your enemy and have to click the cards away , and hope for 2 melee cards at once to make a combo

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

YES! 100x yes!

I'm sure I could have adapted and made a fine deck as a warrior, but the whole process stressed me out. In fact the combos stressed me out. This was not a fun release for me at all.

I could build something effective.. that isn't the problem. The problem is I did not have fun!

RancidRat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.