Dev actions that made me angry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I will begin with after asking the question twice if selling exp is ok, and both times I was told it was. Have the conversations to prove it. Second, while trying to show a bug to a dev, afterwards, getting 5 demons spawned on me and getting killed and losing exp. Learned my lesson, I report bugs through people I know in the bug brigade now. Newest one today, having a dev spawn ghosts on me in the monkey room. I use almost exclusively death in my monkey deck, can't do crap about undead with that deck, luckily the person I was with could.

So, if I cannot trust the devs to give me correct answers to my questions, what is the point of even asking anything? If the thanks I get for showing a bug is death, why would I report and try and to help reproduce bugs to help them? What the hell did I do to deserve getting crap spawned on me for no reason?

Delete this post, ban me from the forums, it does not matter, I think I am done trying to help devs anymore, the treatment I have gotten back is undeserving of my time and respect.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    hroth, Chatele, Sway and 19 others like this.
  2. Katu

Katu Avatar

I too find it interesting, that you were very open about offering your services and I had solid understanding that was ok. Spawning stuff on player is something that used to be done on free shards by admins in drunk..
    Post your conversations, there's plenty of platforms if they moderate those from here. I think they should come out and really decide about these kind of stuff. Fact is, that this kind of services are still going on and will go forever. RTM is built in to this game. Maybe they don't like it, because they don't get anything from it? I bet they are introducing exp obsidian potions soon :)

3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

if it's a dev misconduct... what I would do is collate all evidence and send it to @Lord British... or even to @DarkStarr... I'm sure these guys will not tolerate dev misconduct because it will hurt the image of the game and the company... :D

Chatele, Sway, Hunter OfSouls and 5 others like this.
  4. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

@DarkStarr Not sure but based on the death caused by the bug-testing and the handful of times I know a dev has spawned a mob on someone (probably just trying to have fun but if this causes a 2m XP death it's less funny :eek:) it might be good to have a stricter code of conduct for dev/player interactions with launch looming and more player's decay increasing.

Also, because selling XP for $$ is banned per the terms of service (I thought it was just stating that you could not Exploit in order to do what was listed in the terms of service especially after being okay'd by Berek after Mac wanted to ensure he wasn't doing anything against the rules) I think the terms of service needs some clarification.
    • Selling IGG for $$ has been publicly stated as being acceptable (i.e. "can't stop it so why try?")
    • Selling XP is against the terms of service
    • Selling items/IGG for $$ also seems like it is also against the terms of service as it is listed in the same terms of service as power-leveling services
    Based on the terms of service: "Exploit the Game or any of its parts, including without limitation the Game Client, for any commercial purpose, including without limitation (a) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location-based site; (b) for gathering in-game virtual, items or resources for sale outside the Game; or (c) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Game, e.g., power-leveling; or (d) participation in the trade of items gained through the means listed above, or any other means violating this agreement." I don't see the difference between these three (could just sell XP for IGG and then sell IGG for $$). Selling items/gold for $$ seems like it is also against the terms of service but is allowed even though it is listed in the same terms of service. I'm so very confused and if someone ask me what is acceptable and what is not I don't know what to tell them. Is XP the only thing off-limits to sell for $$ and if so, the terms of service should be completely re-written?

Sway, Spoon, Sorthious and 7 others like this.
  5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I think they need to update the TOS because it feels like it was just copied/pasted from another MMO's TOS and it doesn't actually reflect how things are done in SotA...

6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This has happened? This is VERY bad, and I really hope this is taken seriously. I can hardly believe it, but coming from you, Mac... I do. Jesus... This is bad. I don't even know what to say. People need to know that this has happened to you, and this thread needs to stay open for quite some time, to get this exposure. This type of conduct needs to be controlled.

Sway, Kain Darkmoor, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  7. Katu

Katu Avatar

There's contradiction in the rules now.
    • Buying IGG with $$ is ok
    • Buying items with $$ is ok
    • Selling leveling service for IGG and Items seems to be ok?
    What is the difference between:
    • Buying service from player with 20$
    • Buying IGG for 20$ from someone else, then using that for the xp service? or items or what ever?
    They decided that RTM is ok, now they are setting weird boundaries.
    They have no way to see, if I do this trade agreement out of the boards with guild mates)(I guess this is against the TOS also, but they can never proof that money was traded between two players )

8. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I'm confused, Richard himself said it was going to be ok to sell game items/services for real $$$. This was quite a while ago, however if the policies have changed, I haven't heard anything about it. So we can hire someone to make armor/weapons for us and pay them $$$. We can buy their labor in the form of mats farmed for countess hours for $$$. We were able to buy their labor in the form of exp farmed for the same hours, but now we can't buy exp? Or can we not use real $$$ for any of it now? We need some clear cut examples of what is and isn't allowed. Right now it seems as though I can buy gold from player X for $$$ and then use the gold I just bought from player X to buy exp from player X...is this correct?

Sway, margaritte, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  9. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

You have other venues open to you sir. Ones where programmers cannot do this kind of thing.

Lesni and Mac2 like this.
  10. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

What if Mac helps me get exp for my birthday and I in return give Mac $$$ for his birthday...is this against the rules? How stupid are we going to get with this? There are a million ways to work the trade, do the devs want to spend the rest of their lives trying to police this? RMT exist in every single game, more importantly Richard himself along with all the lead devs stated RMT would be allowed in SOTA.

Sway, Kabalyero, margaritte and 3 others like this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It could bring up a problem with the law. What about taxation of things like this?
    Who controls the taxation? Who is responsible? Portalarium? Travian Games? The guy who sells the item or service? Which taxes apply? What happens if he doesn't pay the taxes? How would this impact the reputation of Portalarium and Travian Games?
    I believe RMT is not as easily done as people think. And maybe this is a problem right now - maybe not so much for Portalarium but for Travian Games as a Publisher in another country.

12. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

calm down fellow Outlanders... they just need to update the TOS... I did a quick google search and it was the same for other MMOs...

@Berek @Lord British and @DarkStarr, please update the TOS to reflect what's actually is allowed in the game... and not just this copied and pasted text from the interwebz...

Sway, Solazur, Mac2 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

also... let's not immediately hate SOTA overall... if the alleged dev misconduct is true then it's just the action of one individual and not the entire team... it's like hating all cops because of one bad cop... :D

By Tor, Sway, Solazur and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Also...fix taming!

15. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

wow, just wow!

This needs some clarification ASAP.

16. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I am sure @Lord British will show the character he has and has shown his entire career and post about dev misconduct not being tolerated and that anyone reporting the same to him will have him personally investigate.

Solazur and Mac2 like this.
  17. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

The exp selling part really needs some clarification. We do adds for a site that has experience selling on them on NBNN have been doing them for months. There have been adds up on the forums here for selling exp for years. So this definitely needs to be addressed. If the devs are going to spawn stuff on us at least make sure the deaths from the monsters don't cause people to loose exp that's just a common courtesy.

Sway, margaritte, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

After participating in the mega rage post I am pretty sure they are going to pull the plug on XP selling. That's OK, it's their game. But the way of communicating it is NOT ok. Give people a clarification, the reason and a couple of days to sort their still open deals ffs.

Spoon, King Robert, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  19. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

It's either allowed or it isn't, and there have been many comments by devs that RMT is allowed. Dev's should never interfere with a players experience, regardless of the the reason. It's an abuse of power.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeahno. I see your point of course but I don't expect Port to now EU tax laws and stuff that might be the overkill for this topic. Mistakes happen. The way they are trying to correct them here is giving me the creeps.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.