Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Did magic get nerfed?

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Magnnus, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnnus

Magnnus Avatar

Previously, as a pure mage with cloth armor and a wand, I could cast most spells with a very low fizzle chance. Now I have about a 30% fizzle chance on most spells.

Also, it looks like healing grace got nerfed. It's no longer viable to use soul tap to recover mana.

I know damage was increased, but that doesn't matter if I can't cast my spells.

Gurney2, wardgom and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Cathan

Cathan Avatar

The Blink spell is just about useless. I can only blink a few steps from where I am. I need to be able to blink like in R21.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Gurney2, KuBaTRiZeS and Corazon like this.
  3. Corazon

Corazon Avatar

Agreed. Although I did see that distance progresses with higher levels

Gurney2 likes this.
  4. Cathan

Cathan Avatar

Mine is level 27... not TOO low (but not brilliant, either). In R21, I could Blink (guessing here) about the width of a village lot? Maybe a bit less.

Gurney2 likes this.
  5. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

My fizzle chance went way up, although I think it's a higher penalty for no reagents

To balance that, they added the chance to not use reagents per cast. That % increases with spell level

Ring of Fire seems wonky, sometimes disappears after first pulse. I think it is more consistent on a perfectly flat environment

6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We just discovered that the math for range was not being applied correctly. I'll bump up the Blink range a bit until this is resolved. In the Friday afternoon patch.

KuBaTRiZeS and Duke Raas like this.
  7. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Tested Ring of Fire more.

30 seconds on ground + Highly Flammable duration increase

Triggers on mob entering.

Adds a tooltip to mob that shows odd error when moused over

Pulses once on mob for damage and then gone

Working as intended? Thought this was like a firewall..

Gurney2 likes this.
  8. wardgom

wardgom Avatar

Another issue is the cost to level reagent based spells. Now that you must cast a spell to level it; it will cost between 60 and 120 gold per tick to level. So if it takes 10 casts to level a spell (and it seems to take much more than 10) then it will be 600 to 1200 gold to make one level...

Farming gold seems rather time consuming right now too, this makes training reagent based spells a real chore.

I also noticed Healing Grace and Healing Ray were seriously hamstrung. I thought the intention was for glyphs to be reasonably useful at every level, but they really aren't very useful right now.

Gurney2 likes this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I have noticed that magic has become a bit better in R22, but it is still very unsatisfying to me.

I would be grateful if someone would tell me what I can do to be successful as a mage wearing cloth.

I carried over my mage from R21, so I have a direct comparison to R21, where I had to stick to the easiest beginner areas. There, my fire arrow level 63 didn't even make a dent on anything more dangerous than a simple grey wolf.

In R22, with much effort and a nearby boulder to jump on in order to recover I am even able to kill a timber wolf, which was unthinkable in R 21. However, since the wolves outrun me, I have no chance if I can't jump out of range. I discovered that to have a chance against two wolves at once I must wear plate armor. It is the only way I can survive the fight, and even then I have to be very careful. With plate I even managed to kill one elder wolf yesterday. My spells fizzle a lot, but since my polearm attack is still as good as any spell I can cast, I just use that when my focus is gone.

I am having more fun now wearing plate, but I long for the days when I was able to run around in challenging areas wearing cloth armor. Most of the areas are still closed to me or I can only run through them as fast as I can without stopping.

Can someone give me some advice?

Gurney2 likes this.
  10. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

The Healing spells are barely useful at high level as they've been nerfed into the ground. My level 80 Chain lightning seems to hit for 9 quite a bit, which is a sad improvement over the 7's I was hitting for in release 21.

Gurney2 and Peabo like this.
  11. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Banish Undead is not so hot...doesn't seem worth training at this point. Since the damage is about 40% lower I wouldn't mind if it had a stun or fear component. With BU at lvl 48 and 27+14int the max damage of 80-82 now it's 52. The range is still nice I guess.

And yeah.. healing grace is kind of a nuisance cast at this point (was 6-15 per tick, now 3-9) it should only cost 4-6 focus instead of 12 imo.

Gurney2 likes this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

Tame a high level pet (Obsidian Bear/Wolf, Large Red Spider...) and let it kill stuff for you, perhaps focus on healing it.

It is not worth attempting to do any magic to get xp.

Stealth/Blink/Dash/Ice Field are quite good for helping you get out of the combat, but trying to kill anything with magic? Not good.

13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

That is very discouraging news :(

EDIT: especially discouraging now that I discover that to make a taming collar I need to have silver ingots. Unfortunately, I can't go anywhere where I could mine silver ingots because my mage is too weak. I tried my luck today against a Large Corpion, but the creature just laughed at me. :oops:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  14. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Yes mages need some love! How can mages be competitive compared to the blank hits (a hit without special move) of a melee char or archer char. Wands are still doing almost no dmg; i didnt test staves but im sure they continue to drain focus. Summons are still useless, so they cant be used as tank for mages....
    Magic dots are also useless, they dont balance the natural hp regen of monsters.
    Cloth armor is useless ; mine is a critted one with full avoidance ... i get hit every time ... and i recieved many dmg (no absorbption on cloth >> i know its normal but shield spells should be really much more effective)
    So to resume >> spells costing alot of focus doing little dmg, chances to be interrupted (and consume focus), almost useless healing, fizzle chances, casting time (for many spells you need to stand still, ok with me but its another disadvantage), useless summons that drain focus, no armor, no real mage weapon.

The only viable way to play as pure mage is to go with a group and pray not taking agro.... (oh yeah did i mention that the escape spell is pretty useless also? lol)

So, the solution at this point is to go in full plate as a melee char...

15. scorn

scorn Avatar

Hay guys your goign the right way but i thank you went way to far left to much cost v reward , healing got hit way hard but this is just my op and thoughts good job though looking grate

16. Kutas

Kutas Avatar

Wish they would just double or triple the damage modifiers for all Mage spells, then start nerfing once the complaint is Magery is too powerful ;)

wardgom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.