Do skills decay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bamboozle, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

2. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I swear I lose pool on death, even 2nd death in an hour.

May have something to do with something else I've seen which could be best described as "you don't get xp for some fights until you exit the fight".

Meaning I many have killed 3 things but the 4th killed me and I never got credit for those 3 but the pool drained to train skills used doing it.

3. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Did you have skills set as training when you died? The case in which we aren't losing XP is having all skills set to mantain.

Also, regarding how the pool works... the xp is deducted from your pool as you use a skill set to training. XP is added to your pool as you kill an enemy. XP is deducted from your pool as you die.

I'd say that what happened was that while killing those three enemies you spent XP in training your active skills, but earned xp as you killed those three enemies. Since the 4th killed you, decay substracted enough XP from your pool to mantain the value of your skills set to train.

Does that make any sense?

4. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

It does but each thing I had killed was worth over 1000 to 2000 xp normally. I shouldn't come out of that fight (dead) down 3000xp having made 3 kills. Especially since the same thing happened 5min earlier.

And again I've had fights watching my xp where the xp didn't register until i sheathed my sword.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

As far as i know skill decay is still a thing, and it gets heavier the higher level you get. Skills set to maintain or go up will pull xp from your pooled experience.

Last i heard anything about it, your XP decay accumulates over the course of a few days if you never die, then its applied ocne you die. if you die again quickly, you wont lose nearly as much. I havent heard anything about them doing away witht hat so i assume its still in,a nd will get much much mroe noticable to more skills you have at very high levels

6. Anabolicus

Anabolicus Avatar

hmmmm i Wonder....You say the "bug" will be fixed a YEAR ago. Well then i Wonder why i should use "Maintaining", which I can see uses exppool on death...when "Not skilling" does the same, but my exppool aint going down on death!?!?!?
    Many features (and skills) have issues...fx my skill "Higly flammable" just wouldnt raise to 40....while a friend got that skill to 40 just using first skill in the fireline to skill 60....me myself first got that skill skill to 40 after ich had 6 skills at 60 in the fireline....ehhhhhhhh...sorry i Wonder big time?!?!?!

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

From the Player Instructions (top right corner, click the [?] button).
    "Upon death, skills set to “Training” and “Maintaining” will consume pooled EXP to maintain their current level, and skills set to “Not Training” or “Unlearning” will drop."

So when you set to "Maintaining" the XP is drained from pool, but if set to "Not Training" the XP is drained from the skill - leading eventually to skill drop.

8. Anabolicus

Anabolicus Avatar

that i thought as well Spoon, but seems NOT the case...!
    I several times now contacted the support uppon my char, i thk its bugged BIG TIME....but the answers i get are ridiculos!

9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

at level 90 you still lose ALMOST nothing the whole concept is a joke and has been since implementation and most likely forever will be.

Anabolicus likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Skills at 40 and below so not contribute to decay. If a skill is at its minimum for the skill below it (which is usually 20 or 40) then it will not decrease no matter what you have it set to.

11. Anabolicus

Anabolicus Avatar

i Know that very well Barugon.... and it still doesnt explain... why 2 players with same setup have different skillgain!

But as said...why put that skill at 40 to maintain if it cant fall anyway...and by simply setting it to "notskilling" you're not using exp on death to maintain it, since ure not skilling it higher than 40 anyway!?!?!?

Disgruntled likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

AFAIK, there's no difference unless it's a leaf skill.

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

First you are talking about comments made in @016 - have you madfe a bug report?

Second have you looked at all the information in the player created resources and learned completely about exp / skill gain / and decay

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/player-created-resources.486/

There are MANY factors that affect your exp pool . . . Size of pool, what you are fighting, dying, what skill is et to gaining and how many . . . . It appears you do not fully grasp how all this works as you would see the problems you are having explained in one way or another.

If you still think it is a BUG - Report it here . . .https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?categories/release-46-bug-forum.1116/ ((wait unitl R47 now though)

14. Anabolicus

Anabolicus Avatar

Weins201...i would not say anything here if not i had reported it first and the Support isnt aswering at all!

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

ok since you want to drag it out, why are you digging up a year old thread? If you have already reported it, did you not get an answer?

perhaps posting a new thread on the issue in the current bug forums, not necroing an year old post might help.

Also have you looked at the resources I posted, and do you understand how exp points work? Is your pool above 100k? How many skills do you have set to raise / maintain / lower? There are so many different factors that can affect skill gain and exp (not mentioning decay) that you could be breaking them yourself. And sorry, but since you are necroing a year old thread it leads me to believe you are not understanding them.

In order to help out, need a lot more information.

But if oyu still feel this is a issue with only your account then post a new bug report in R47 since it is coming out in a day and renew the interest.

this is case in point; if it is a prerequisite for the lower skill it will NEVER go below 40, and will eat exp to maintain it at 40 to retain it prerequisite level, this misunderstanding is my point.

16. Anabolicus

Anabolicus Avatar

i am not opening a NEW thread if a thread on that issue exist and the bug isnt fixed. And if you could read u would have seen what i wrote con3cerning the support

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Skills at 40 and below don't contribute to decay.

Disgruntled likes this.
  18. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Hard to follow this discussion, but I do have one oddity to add.

Beginning of October it seemed like I did not suffer any penalty from a death. Before October it was about 20k on first death, but for a few weeks it was maybe 1k to nothing. It has kicked back in for sure in R47. Nite working as intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.