Don't like free attack...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

To be honest i haven't tested it deeply, but as i see it they'll need to change the combat rhythm to make that kind of attack meaningful from the random deck point of view. I like all the aiming thing more than tab target, but as long as you play with a random deck, auto attack may not be meaningful enough to be used instead of a skill.

Just entered to check two things.. at the moment free attack mode doesn't allow you to charge an attack while you're in global cooldown, but auto attack allows you to do so. The fact that you still need to select your enemy before being able to use your skills on it is quite disturbing, but if i understood it correctly they're going to allow us to use our skills in free mode as well.

Once again the concept is quite good, but it does not fit in the current status of the combat system.

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You can see the framework of it starting on the QA server, which i can't talk about here.. but go over and check out spells like ice fist, flame fist, death touch etc

3. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I wish i could... but i'm still at ancestor level :( that may change after playing in r20 though :D

Themo Lock likes this.
  4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

The next iteration of the free swing is coming in R20. Chris said in the hangout that you won't need to use the mouse to use the free swing attack, that it can be bound to a key.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Sounds like the whole combat system is getting an overhaul. Honestly it needs it, they have some great ideas now they have to find a way to make them fun. And hurrah for use based skill gains I'm so happy to this. Adds permancy to your skill gains reward for time invested.

Lord Soliwilos and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

You say that you haven't played, and reading this I believe it. You should give it a try. This current free attack system replaces white hits. Literally. If you turn this feature on, and get into a fight, then you don't do white damage. Period. You do a weapon swing when you mouse click (and yes, you get all manner of fine tuned control over the wind up) and you get your powers on keybinds. Those powers all trigger a GCD.

It's the GCD that really sets the stage for my views here. IF using a power triggers a universal cooldown, it sets a universal speed limit. This is more limiting than focus cost (I can spec for a bigger, faster regenerating pool, and lower costs), more limiting than reagent costs (I can stockpile those), more limiting than gear, or levels, or complex "cannot have both of these" spec requirements, all of those I can build around as I level. So, Time Consumption, as the most restrictive limiter of skill use, sets my baseline output of all abilities. If I want to do damage, or heal myself or others, or intercept attacks, or spam crowd control, or whatever... all are limited by skill uses per second.

With that limiter in place, smaller spells and skills are inherently weaker. They still trigger the GCD, but they do less. Sure, they cost less, but again the cost limiter can be surmounted. But between two spells of equal cast time, I will always prefer the spell that hits harder (ALMOST regardless of cost) to any other spell.

Something like auto attack, to generate white damage, is a great thing to have in a non twitch game. It lets the less nimble fingers play characters who move fast, it lets the planner players design for chance on hit procs. Meanwhile, those who really really wanna be pushing eight different buttons constantly with both hands can switch the option on, and more power to em. But me, I'll be leaving this feature in the shrinkwrap.

Sweetmcpwnsauce and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.