Dragons?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Myth2, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Isaiah: I agree that it would take time to establish the bond, but I would hope that you could start "connecting" with the dragon in some other way rather than simply beating it down to 25% health. ("Now that I've defeated you, let's be friends!" Not exactly a great way to start things off o_O)
    Maybe the developers will eventually allow a player to establish a bond with an intelligent dragon in Episode 2 or later :D

Jambo and Miracle Dragon like this.
  2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

If the issue is terminology maybe they should change it to bonding instead of taming. Because realistically, you never tame a wild creature, they aren't house dogs... People who work with large cats (lions and tigers) can attest to that.

Isaiah and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Maybe in dragon culture it is a good way to start things off. Can you imagine becoming a friend with a Klingon from star trek by trying to be nice to him? They already think your race is weak and concerned about petty diplomatic issues. If you kick the Klignon's butt in a fight, then I think he will begin to come around and think this guy is OK. Then if you were to go battle side by side with the Klingon then your friendship would grow, and he will consider you Honorable.

Different cultures have different customs. Don't think of Intelligent Dragons as human rights activists from Berkley California. LoL

Mishri likes this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Isaiah: That might be true for non or semi-intelligent dragons, but I would think that each intelligent dragon would react differently based on its personality. A brash, younger (and possibly evil) dragon (like Smaug from The Hobbit) might respect your combat prowess, but an older, wiser dragon might not. For example, in my character's back story (SPOILER), his distant ancestor becomes the First Dragon Lord by saving the life of a critically injured Elder Dragon who was attacked by a bunch of mercenaries hired by a nearby village. (The villagers believed that the dragon was eating its livestock and setting fire to its fields.)
    You can't simply generalize and assume that all dragons would respond the same way to a show of force o_O

Jambo likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I agree with you. An older more powerful dragon wouldn't see any benefit to bonding with a human adventurer. An adult dragon who's skills in combat don't outweigh the adventurer's powers by too much might find some benefit from working together with a human (for a cut in the spoils).

For example, in the early days of UO Balrons were one of the most powerful monsters in the game. They dropped some really great loot too. However a dragon by itself could never kill a Balron unless it had a human companion working with it to heal the dragon and cure any poison etc. Also the dragons got stronger the more training it got. So the human dragon relationship was mutually beneficial.

In SotA if it is possible to train dragons, then I propose that the mutual nature of the relationship be more pronounced. Instead of just feeding the dragon some slabs of raw meat, the player should also share gold and other treasure with the dragon to keep the friendly bond secure. This means that Tamers would still be able to harvest some of the best loot in the game, but the dragon would become a gold/treasure sink since part of the loot would go to keeping your dragon pal happy. Remember the dragon isn't powerful enough to do it all on its own, it needs the player for healing and buffs. So the dragon/human relationship would be a type of symbiosis adventuring relationship.

***HOWEVER keep in mind there were creatures that could not be tamed like the Ancient Wyrm at the bottom of Destard. It was a dragon so old and powerful it didn't need human help, and it could not be tamed.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  6. Margard

Margard Avatar

You may want to check out this thread Pets, Taming and Ranching

7. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I like this.

Lord Wsye likes this.
  8. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

A Jhereg? Can it be telepathic AND a smartass to boot?

OSullivan likes this.
  9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Riding dragons? Alright.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  10. Curt

Curt Avatar

Should be less dragons than their is cities

11. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

I agree.
    Oh dear God ,No stuff like space robots,Panda bears,ect. Keep this game what made Ultima great , not what killed it [for me anyway] please.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.