Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

duels: requesting ability to end dual without death

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by ThurisazSheol, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

there are times where you wish to dual someone. fine. great. they accept and slap each other around.

however, for role play purposes, there may be a reason to honerably accept defeat without death. accepting that the other player won, and having THEM accept the win without killing you.

i was thinking something simple, if the two parties entered into the dual jsut stop, select each other, and /bow at each other, (including the darkstarr bow), should simply end it with a chatbox text emote saying that player X accepted player Y's submission with honor. - or if they deny it, and keep killing them, player X denied player Y's request.

i think that could add a pretty neat element to RP PVP.

2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Agree although instead of bowing I think the loser should bend over. :eek:

Arianna likes this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

Yes, I hate how we cannot end duels.
    However, I think that in most cases you would want to end duel as tie rather than accepting your defeat.

Arianna likes this.
  4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

net, good point. then let the one who has to accept the request decide if it is a tie. that way both get an honerable way out.

Arianna likes this.
  5. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I would say an option to make the duel not to the death beforehand would make sense and hAve a threshold

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Indeed.. there should be options a the start of the duel to allow setting 'win' conditions. In addition to the option of bowing out. However, I think the option to bow out should have to be accepted by your opponent as well.. someone may decide it was a bad idea and try to quit but the other person may not want to let them.. both for RP reasons and not.

Also I think other conditions should forcibly halt the dual. Such as someone leaving the instance or interference.

I'm reminded of how PvP was handled in NWN.. at least on our server.. if somone's HP dropped to 0 or under they lose conscienceness and are invulnerable for a moment. This allowed you to win without accidental deaths.. if you wanted to kill someone you had to attack them again while they were unconscience.

ThurisazSheol and Arianna like this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You are not dueling then you are sparring? If you don't want to die in a duel DONT KILL them, might happen anyhow with w DOT but really? You know what dueling is, and there is a life bar, if you are sparring well ?

8. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah, you do not have to kill, but the only ways to end duel are:
    1) kill your opponent
    2) die
    3) leave a scene

It would be nice to have option to request duel end by right clicking the player you are duelling with at the very least.

Besides, I do not think that all duels were to kill ,some were to first blood, some were between someone yields. And there are so far no non-lethal knockdowns.

9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

good point. maybe having sparring zones (not scenes, but like on a sparring mat near an arena) where it isn't to the death. or instead of a dual you spar them with the same mechanic - get to a certain threshhold and the toon automatically submits, with an animation of tapping out or the likes.

Numa likes this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

I agree with this. Having special zones for non-lethal duels is a good way to encourage people to try out a "friendly" form of PVP. Good training ground for guilds too.

foobard likes this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I disagree. The phrase, "Duel to the death" is a phrase, because some duels are not 'to the death'. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to say that part if all duels were such.

A duel is an arranged engagement in combat between two individuals, with matched weapons in accordance with agreed-upon rules, usually in order to settle a point of honor.

So really, in game we're hardly ever 'dueling', since we typically don't match weapons, but perhaps we should! Historically the one making the request, the accuser, sets the condition, (to the death, first blood, etc.) usually based on what honor is being defended or justice is being served. The 'defendant', who agrees to the duel typically picks time/location/weapons. Abraham Lincoln was known for picking a pit with each man on either side of a log, and choosing short swords, knowing full-well that he, with the greater height and reach would have an unfair advantage.

And it's important to note, that a 'champion' who agrees to represent them can be selected by either side to fight for their honor, in their name. I'd love to see this kind of functionality in the game somehow. (RPing it will be fun, but it would be so great if the Oracle recognized your ability to defend your honor, or choice not to 'run away' or your valor as a champion to fight for someone you believe in, etc.) Perhaps these 'recognized' duels would have to be against NPCs, but that's something I've never seen before, and would like to.

ThurisazSheol and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.