Dungeoneering difficulty?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Veylen The AenigmA, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I was wondering for those that have given it a go how hard is it learning curve wise? All I have to compare to are old school doom, quake and unreal editors. The last I had experience with these editors was unreal ed class in college but a month long course leaves a lot of technical skill gaps.

The level making process had been an initial passion of my since I started playing PC games. I know it's a lot more complex that making doom maps cause it's 3d so if anyone could give me an idea of the difficulty levels of said dungeon erring it would be greatly appreciated as always. Been checking out the noob dungeons around owls head. Thus it has rekindled my interest in it due to fond memories!

2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but take a peek at Chris's talk from Tuesday. He's going through a level creation. Granted it doesn't Ave much in the way of scripting but it is a good intro into what it takes to lay out an outdoor hex. Also take a look into his earlier talks about using unity.

3. Veylen The AenigmA

I watched most of that vid. I remember in doom it was an additive process but with unreal ed it was an extrusion process it looks from that vid that unity is somewhere in between? I'd like to tinker with maps and or dungeon design whichever is easiest to dip my toes in. Hope that clarifies.

Kinda unclear on doom level editing. I forget what exactly it was like I just know the more prevalent 3d games became the harder it got

4. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

As far as using the dungeon kit, it's an additive process. Be sure to get the latest version of the "snap tool."

Unity is joy to use in general; I recommend getting your feet wet at least! :)

5. Veylen The AenigmA

ok will do. it looks kindof intimidating having barely passed a month longth crash course in 3ds but i'm sure in my own time without being accelerated i can pick it up fine. thanks im excited!!

i dont think i'll be able to make much worthwhile stuff before the expiration date on your pledge lockdown but it wont stop me from trying it out. im just torn between a laptop to work on sota/play sota with or pledging my laptop money to sota so that i can get my plot.. its like.. a twilight zone episode from hell. i dont care if i get an outhouse as long as i can put a cave system underneath it :)

there is something poetically beautiful about trying to design something for a game you love & and play.. seeing your own work being admired by others and bringing them joy im sure is very fulfilling. but as we all know, hapiness and fulfillment doesnt always pay the bills. maybe by launch time we can all be set, and everyone gets their big influx of greenbacks when the game is a resounding success and dolts that are ill informed will think man why didnt i think of that!

6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I thought I mentioned but it doesn't seem to be in my earlier post. If you look at the main SotA pages then under the media menu there is a series of tutorials that Chris did for the unity jam. I think there are four under that choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.