dungeons and non non combatant skills

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by jondavis, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Just thinking of other ways to get through a dungeon or even needing non combatant players to get through.

1. Of course the rogue - he could of used stealth to get through and steal the chair.
    And needed for things like detecting traps, lock picking, and detect hidden.

2. I was thinking during the demo it would of been nice to be able to hold one of those torches, one to see better but it could of worked to scare creatures off that do not like light.

3. Using pets to do your fighting. Or just releasing trapped creatures.

4. Bards - UO had some nice ways to do things.
    Peacemaking to keep the creatures from wanting to fight
    Provocation to have the creatures fight each other
    more songs like these would be nice

5. other ways I can think of would be traps, frightening, illusions to get creatures chasing those, some kind of smell that would chase off creatures

6. And maybe instead of that chair there is a tree or rock that needs harvested.
    Or maybe some kind of item that needs repaired before a door opens or something.
    Just to get other skills involved.

hmm I messed up the title, is there a way to fix that?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

All interesting ideas which are also generating interest in other threads. If you're referring to the demo, remember that it was a very limited set of features.

3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yea most of that was thinking of other ways through the demo and fighting your way through should come first, I just don't want them to stop there.
    Hoping for new ways to get through dungeons besides the traditional way.

4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I liked that you could run passed enemies without them all chasing you until you had a train of baddies and no chance at success. To me, the motivations of the monster should be different depending what it is. In this situation there were skeletal fighters, and spiders right? So, as an example, I wouldn't think the spiders would follow you into the next room; perhaps they choose to avoid it because of the different monsters in that room.

Of course, fighting or running shouldn't be the only options. In addition, I would like it very much if dungeons commonly branched, or opened up into giant areas where you could choose many different paths to the same ultimate destination. This particular dungeon in the demo looked pretty linear. I hope most of them don't feel linear, even if at times they basically are.

**My major concern about the demo dungeon: I found it jarring when going from the overworld to the dungeon, it put you indoors. I think it would flow much better, if when it zoomed in from the overworld map, you found yourself outside at the entrance, ready to walk in. :D

jondavis likes this.
  5. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Something that gave my friends and I a great deal of enjoyment in WoW at one point was constructing "stealth runs" on instances. We'd take any character capable of moving without pulling mobs into an instance, and just skip anything we didn't want to fight. It really gave a totally different feel, more of a ninja assault or B&E type game than a bunch of noisy adventurers kicking in the doors. We had to be more careful in how we built the party, and work on different combinations of moves and skills in order to beat the challenge. We were wondering if it might be possible to add stealth to other crucial classes and make "stealth raids" when the devs weighed in. Naturally it was to restrict our actions, as creatures with the ability to see stealthed characters suddenly appeared all over the place, sometimes as much as every single monster in an area, sometimes just ones placed in crucial passages. I still miss those runs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.