Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Durability and how I (and a few others) think it should look like.

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Let us know what you all think - - -

Ok this is not about the CotO and all the other hub bub but it is affected by and and affects it so we look at it as a huge balance issue.

ATM durability has two numbers Affective and Max. And we have two basic categories of items to deal with Pledge (store bought) and crafted.

CotOs are used to restore items to the Max Durability (after enchantments and stuff) Ok GtG Understood. We are not looking to change it they are just a resource added to repairing OK, not going to fight that, still should take a crafter of some renound to accomplish it and not a neofite but again another issues.

All we want to address if how Durability and MAX Durability are affected.

While out fighting Durability should and is going down, needs tweaking of course but is working, And you can repair items in the field. Now any normal item and pledge items should be repairable in the field with a repair kit. The difference should be that a pledge item should not take a Max durability hit unless the player themselves actually took the real durability down to 0/Max. Then and only then should the Max durability of a pledge item go down. Now a crafted item should also take a hit but it should be scaled. if you repair it often in the field basically keeping it above 75% the max hit should be minor, If you let it go down to 0/max then the hit to max should be more significant.

Max durability should not go down with normal use at all. The real durability is at 0 then of course the item is useless and the max should go down just as fast as the regular was going down. Durability and breakage is 0/0 of a crafted items = Breakage and disappears, 0/0 of a pledge item should require more than one CotO to restore to penalize a player who just abuses their gear.

Once you are at a station - you can restore Max with the use of a CotO.

This would make pledge item durability last longer with a player who pays attention. Pledge items are not the best items and they should stay that way.

Ok Summary again

Out fighting Durability should go down but not Max unless a repair kit is used, for crafted items, pledge item max should not go down at all unless player takes item down to 0 / max in the field. Only time max should lower then use is if durability is 0/max.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Bluefire, Anvar, Doschl and 2 others like this.
  2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I feel there has to be "salvage" value for everything... I can find broken gloves, and they have salvage value...

I agree, when an item hits 0/150 that it should lower max durability to 0/149 as a matter of fact... The owner was neglectful and didn't watch and take care of their equipment, and I do agree that usefulness of the item should be considered "broken" and have no usefulness... I do not agree that the item should disappear, as it should have salvage value...

I also do not agree that a GM crafter or higher, should be able to bring the item to full repar of 149/149 by using just 1 kit at a station, there needs to be the "failure" factor involved which consumes the kit... It should be very difficult to repair an item when its 0/149... Had the owner cared about the item, and kept it above 50% loss, then it would be easy to repair without failure, but the repair alone should cost another point and bring it to 148/148...

A repair kit in the field should do some restoration, and lower max by another point each time a kit is used... Only high level crafters would be able to only lower it by one, and restore 100% of current durability at a station... Using a kit as fuel...

I also feel, as I stated in another thread, that "usefulness" should start at 20/20 and lose 5% per point under 20, until the item is useless... If the item is salvaged at 20/20 there should be a chance to recover bronze or hard maple scraps or even a few gem fragments, depending on what material was used to craft the item, and of course a GM salvage skill would be needed...

I too, am looking for longevity, and still have item wear out... As far as pledge item are concerned, I think they should never wear out, but serve minimal compared to crafted items...

@Weins201 I think this is the same idea, just said differently...

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I think that's a bit too complex.
    Usability is important for a repair System.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok so what would you remove or change, and what does usability mean?

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

6. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

I really don't think this helps the player driven economy, though. I'm pretty staunch about watching my gear... I'd never let my "current durability" in your idea fall below 60% of max. Having repair kits on hand would be something in my checklist before leaving town - every time without fail. So that tailor I bought the leather armor from? She/he gets my business once. That's not so good for her/him! (opinion of course)

I truly believe that the dev team are on the right path here; but the speed at which one loses max/current durability needs balancing. For example... I can lose 8-10 max points of durability on my daggers in 3 or so hours of play because of how fast I attack. That means in its current state I'd need to purchase new daggers every 1.5 weeks of play or so (assuming 3 hours in a night of game play). In my opinion that number should be more in the range of 3 weeks - BUT that's not going to work across all weapons due to speed of attack... so there's balancing there to be done, as well (opinion).

An added bonus is that this timeframe gives the folks crafting the gear time to get out there and get resources to make new gear - and it doesn't penalize casual crafters, either. The alternative (spitballing and opinion) is that player vendors will always be empty because folks are buying the gear and destroying it faster than the crafters can build it.

Pledge items / reward items (such as the mask I wear) should NEVER deteriorate. My mask is purely decoration - it provides no protection, no bonuses of any kind - it should not deteriorate. The tools I bought - were bought for the specific reason that they'd never break. I think it's a scary idea to introduce the concept that things we paid $ for could break.

Thanks for reading my opinion.

7. Zader

Zader Avatar

I love the idea of allowing GM+ crafter skills to get the most out of the repair system.

Realistically a mediocre crafter would only do a mediocre repair job on an item...even if that translated to more attempts and more spent coto.

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Like but there are some items that do take wear and tear so they have to be accounted for and they cannot just be perfect all the time :rolleyes: So some scratchs and such are good and need to eb repairable:cool:

9. Doschl

Doschl Avatar

>YES @Wein201 !!!!!

i tink that all the time. i didnt understand, why both values (e.g. 12/20---dura) decreases in fight every day. the first value is right....currently durability of the item. and the second value is the maxc dura. if my currently dura is =...than its ok...that max dura is goin down. i have to repair the item....if not...blame themselves.

now it seems lile this: i play ca. 3-4 hours per day. 1/3 of time i go fighting. since one week my max dura is breaking down to 50% after set it with crown to max. my boots have now 12/13 dura!!! (max 50 with crowns) ..... whats wrong??????? That cannot be the way to get ballance!!!!!

10. Doschl

Doschl Avatar

and btw i ask by myslf...why had i paid 1600$ ?????? for one free tax lot?????? maybe i'd misunderstand...but...the pledgeitems now destroyable? i paid the price because the tools...unbreakable tools...

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I thought it'd be good to see max durability on yl decrease after repair is attempted on an item. This would make people with high repair skills more valuable for the work because they already use less repair kits than newbie crafters or field-repairs.

12. Doschl

Doschl Avatar

yes after repair is okay. but than pls dont let go down the currently dura to fast.

Weins201 likes this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Agreed, TY I have a bunch of stuff you there with friends getting how fast it falls apart info. :cool:

14. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

The tools will not degrade. Anything that was stated on the pledge/add on store as 'Unbreakable' (to my knowledge only Pledge Artisan Crafting tools and Properity tools) does not have a Durability stat, and cannot be broken,wear and does not require repair of any sort.

As for the whole max durability repairissue, I think you should be able to restore max durability without a Crown, however with a constant risk of destroying and losing the item (just like Enhantment/Masterworking). The lower your repair skill, the more likely you are to lose the item.

Make it so a GM Crafters with GM repair would have only 5% chance of destroying the item for example. If you don't want to risk your item, you can use the Crown (either brought with Cash, found or brought with in-game Gold). I think its a good compromise, as it makes the Crowns an Alternative rather than a requirement in the repair process, it will give the high level Crafters a viable career in repairing items, and can be implemented without overly complicated changes to the game mechanics (as the 'fail and lose item' mechanic is already in game with Enchantment/Masterworks)

15. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

Ok I think I understand what you mean here... My mask would never lose "max durability" but could lose "current durability" which I could repair to full at any time with a repair kit... Correct?

If that's the case... I could give that a thumbs up... that does seem reasonable.

Weins201 likes this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Exactly, how I think it should work and of course if oyu lowered your durability to 0 then the max would take hits since oyu are being irresponsible :cool:

17. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

That's the part I don't agree with, though... you sneaky sneaky! :)

I think I support a hybrid of what you suggest...

If a store purchased item (IE I paid cash money for my <insert store bought item here>)... current durability reaches zero item breaks needs to be repaired - no loss of max durability - ever. The <insert item here> would be "broken" until repaired. Does not require a crown to repair it.

If a crafted/found/vendor bought item... stay close to current system but decrease rate of deterioration so that a given item lasts about ~3 weeks of game play before really getting to a broken state. Does require a crown to repair max durability.

Otherwise... why would I ever buy anything from anyone else? I'd just craft it myself!

Weins201 likes this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Hee hee, yeah I stil think if you are irresponsible it should still get to the point where you HAVE to repair it :)

r-DotPhunky likes this.
  19. Doschl

Doschl Avatar

yes...in my opinion...i need every week a crown to set up my max dura...but not cause i like to run with full max dura...no...cause the max dura is goin down daily.... WITH Repair!!!!!!!

20. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Crafters can also make repair kits (Unless that has changed recently) but the pricing needs to be changed to make it worth crafting these vs buying from a vendor. Honestly I don't think making repair kits the core of the crafters selling goods is a bad thing. The problem with selling finished items like armor/weapons is that the stats can vary so much you are missing out on potential sales, you basically need to make to order.

Just my thought on it. I agree with the general idea of this thread though as a whole. I've honestly not signed in for many hours over the last 2 or so releases, the whole game is starting to feel more like a chore. Need to collect materials to craft - need to fight to collect materials - fighting breaks armor - need to repair/rebuild my gear - need to buy reagents/ammo - need to wade through the UI to quest.

Any quality of life improvements would be nice; right now it's tedious. Something as simple as reliable weapon degreneration would be welcomed instead of random decay.

~Woden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.