Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

durability loss

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by snow0815, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snow0815

snow0815 Avatar

Some of my items have not only lost current durability, but their max durability has decreased. Is this intended, and what causes it? Never noticed it before r21.

2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

It's intended. It's in the release notes.

Duke Raas and Katrina Bekers like this.
  3. agra

agra Avatar

Wanted to make a comment on this..
    Combat wears down weapons and armor, represented by an item’s durability ratings. Resurrecting without the benefit of an Ankh or a Resurrection spell also inflicts durability damage on all equipped items. When an item’s current durability is exhausted it confers no benefits. Broken weapons inflict no damage and broken armor does not protect you. The monetary value of equipment also decreases as it wears out.

Durability has two discrete ratings: current durability and maximum durability. For example an item with a durability of 63/78 has 63 points of current durability and 78 points of maximum durability. The (Max 90) after the durability ratings shows the highest possible rating the item can have for maximum durability. In this case the max durability cannot be increased over 90.

Current durability wears out much more quickly than maximum durability. It can be restored “in the field” through the use of repair kits, simply by dragging the kit onto the desired item in the character sheet or inventory. This requires no special skill or training but does not help improve any relevant repair skills. Repair kits repair less current durability on more expensive items, due to the rare and exotic materials used in their construction. Current durability may not exceed max durability.

Maximum durability drops slowly, representing long-term, systemic, wear and damage to an item. To restore lost maximum durability you will need to place the damaged item on the correct crafting table with the appropriate tool and a repair kit. Then hit the “Repair” button to the left of the craft button. The repair kit will be consumed and the items maximum durability should increase. (Provided the attempt is successful). Repairing max durability also requires training in the correct repair skill, and the amount of max durability restored should increase as the relevant repair skill improves.
    Even with this in mind, durability loss on expensive items is very high. I tested this today with a "Two-handed Sword of Greater Crushing" (thanks, Alexander) which has three bonus effects (Melee Damage Bonus, Knockdown Chance, Air Damage).

This sword's Durability dropped one every two fights, and max durability dropped one every five fights. In my opinion, this is far, FAR too much durability damage, and may be amplified by the expensive/powerful nature of the weapon. Given the pace of combat, I would wear this weapon down to zero long before I could accrue enough gold to replace it. (it cost 1500gp to purchase).

Given this high rate of Durability damage, there's little incentive to use expensive/quality items, if this continues to be true and/or is working as intended.

Solution: Reduce current durability damage amplifier for expensive/quality items, and/or change it so it's the inverse of what it is now. (better items take LESS durability damage) Currently, I'm better off using rusty weapons, and that's backwards.

Lord Rixus, Striker and docdoom77 like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

There are skills to lower durability loss use them.

Durability los is just fine, easily repaired with kits :)

What needs to happen is that the Max actually stays lowered so the item WILL eventually break. with the current setup once you ave you high end items you will never EVER have t get more so crafting will become pointless as a play style.

5. agra

agra Avatar

Durability loss on a rusty weapon: 1 in 20 fights.
    Durability loss on a fantastic weapon: 1 in 2 fights.

Working as intended, Weins201?

Lord Rixus and Striker like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All this did is to make it more expensive, harder and more frustrating to maintain your stuff. Now, you have to repair your items at a crafting station to regain the max durability then use another repair kit to repair the rest of the current durability. If you don't repair the maximum first then you just waste your repair deed bringing the current durability up to whatever the current maximum is.

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

Sword of Ba' heer loses durability very quickly against low level creatures. In one evening (a few hours of play) and not even doing just combat, it went from 100 to 27. I think this is WAY out of sinc.

fburzaco, Striker and agra like this.
  8. Lord Rixus

Lord Rixus Avatar

how do we raise the durability back up on an item ? My crafted items are almost broken :( after only like 2 days of leveling

9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

You "repair" the item at a crafting station with a repair kit to raise "max" durability, then use a repair kit to repair the items durability...

Lord Rixus likes this.
  10. Curt

Curt Avatar

I finds it weird that you can't use the repair kit at the crafting station the second time.

First use at crafting station station for max durablity ok:
    but why not usable at crafting station to repair durablity?

11. Abhann

Abhann Avatar

I think that in the future there will be different types of repair kits for different gear.....this is just the current iteration of repair

12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Currently you drag/drop the kit to repair durability.. You can do this anywhere, at the crafting table, with the item equiped, or in your backpack...

Correct, in the future a crafter will need to add materials to repair Max durability, and each time it will take more and more materials, until it's so excessive that it's easier to make a new item than to repair an old one... The repair kits were only used to bring repairing online...

13. crydee

crydee Avatar

Jeeze, this game really wants you to work hard to keep playing. Losing MAX durability on items as well as overall durability for upkeep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.