Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encumbrance is too low

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The average person in real life can carry about 150 to 200 pounds depending on what source you use.

I'm currently hauling almost 400 lbs. worth of junk around, and yes I'm encumbered, but I can still get it from place to place and fight monsters.

I think Encumbrance should be a much lower threshold. I know STR and other skills come into play her, but the way it currently works it's just way too much.

I would lower it at least 100 lbs in the direction that makes players MORE encumbered or encumbered faster than they are now.

Why you might ask? In support of the regional economy.

Jivalax Azon and Albus like this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Maybe once they give me my llamas I'd agree with you. Right now, I'll enjoy the convenience of it.:)

3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

No thanks...My mage can only carry 160 pounds with 5 points in heavy lifter. The main reason I'm not using reagents in my spells is because I have to unload my loot every 20 minutes...Unless they can give us some items that help with encumbrance it doesn't need to be worse.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

One bag of holding please?

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Please god no, make us able to carry more if anything.

6. Schwanke

Schwanke Avatar

Its a balance of playability vs immersion. Lots of the weights of things are out of whack too but we put up with it because honestly most people cant carry more then 50 or 60 lbs on top of the full plate sword shield spare weapons/tools it takes to go hunting in a dangerous area.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Funny. You do realize this is a feedback forum right? I mean, I have no way of knowing if the devs are ever going to change encumbrance weights one way or the other. I'm not saying they need to drop everything else and change this now. I'm just saying "heads up" this is kind of stupid and we should fix this. It's implied that they should fix it when they can before launch.

Pashta, Jivalax Azon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

It sounds like the problem might be the scaling of encumbrance. If one person is maxing out at 160 and another at 400, that seems a bit off.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I think STR and the Heavy Lifter skill have a lot to do with it. In the OP, I didn't mean to say that I could carry 400 lbs without being encumbered. I meant to say that I could carry well over 400 lbs. and still move and fight in PVE.

Right now I'm actually carrying well over 500 lbs. and I could move and fight in PVE if I wanted to depending on what was attacking me. The problem I'm trying to have addressed is the ability for players to move HUGE amounts of goods over the map in one trip. It's great for individual players, it's horrible for the economy.

Jivalax Azon and docdoom77 like this.
  10. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Well pack animals will help with encumbrance .... I saw them in the Stretch goal thingy ....

11. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

What does that have to do with a fantasy game? For me, a point become moot when the basis of it starts off with the comparison of real life vs. virtual life. Aside from that, I disagree. I've earned the ability in the game to carry insane amounts of weight because I'm a damn Avatar. Not an average person in real life. Who is to say gravity even works the same on this planet? Have you seen the hot mess that is currently orbiting us?

12. Drocis the Devious

Why not make the weight unlimited then? Why not allow Avatars to hold all of new Britannia in the palm of their hands, including other Avatars (even themselves)?

My comparison to "real life" is for perspective, not to say that everything should be exactly as it is in real life.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

*mutters something about fun games vs. realism simulators*

It is hard to debate realism. However, at lower levels I felt I was already taking trips back to town quite frequently to sell.

I'm willing to suspend a little belief to be able to carry a few more rusty swords.

14. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

That is such a silly response I shouldn't even re-engage but sure. Because that doesn't make sense in any respect. With respect to the game, however, being able to carry excessive weight...but not unlimited..makes perfect sense. It keeps things balanced in a player-driven economy where transporting resources is very important. Especially right now with lots of item testing happening. Things need to get from point A to point B in bulk and we don't have mules...or llamas yet.

15. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Make it higher, I can carry 1,000 lbs, just gotta balance it, it's called leverage, it's how Edward Leedskalnin built Coral Castle with the many ton stone blocks. He was like 108 lbs. And by himself moved 1,100 tons of stone to build the Castle. He then moved the *entire* castle when there was a property dispute. So he moved and assembled the entire thing twice! He used the secret principles of leverage.

16. Drocis the Devious

I'm able to move 100's of bookcases over the map with ease. I'm not trying to make the game hard for people, just reasonable.

The regional economy will depend on this being balanced well. Right now, at this stage of testing, it's really out of whack. If you read the OP, my suggestion was to increase the effects of encumbrance 100 lbs. earlier than it currently stands. You'd still be able to carry tons of stuff, just a few less bookcases.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

He didn't move all 1,100 tons of stone in one trip. That's what we're talking about here.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  18. Albus

Albus Avatar

I agree with the OP, encumbrance should probably be more of an issue, such that one might choose chainmail over plate to haul more other stuff for instance (or leather, etc.). Right now it does seem as though I barely consider the weight of gear I bring into battle, at least once STR/heavy lifter gets up there. It could be that at the lower end of STR scale characters could be allowed to carry more, but not as much at the higher end? Although the suggestion that pack animals or porters be allowed before stricter weight limits are imposed is sound, I think. I'd like to see encumbrance matter more for our gear choices by live though (maybe we can pack our heavy armour onto a mule by then or NPC squire or porter or such, wear it for fighting and stow it again as we transport our loots out?). It's certainly something worthy of consideration, before live at least.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  19. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I did read the OP. 100 lbs difference makes it seem all the more a trivial change. Sorry. :(

20. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm...you must have pretty high STR to be carrying that much stuff around (even encumbered) :eek: I can only carry 200 lbs at STR 30 with heavy lifter maxed out before being encumbered o_O Another 75 lbs above that and I can barely move at all :(

I think you should be able to carry even MORE before becoming encumbered o_O After accounting for the weight of arrows and reagents (about 40-50% of max load), there is precious little carrying capacity left :eek: Heck, in this release I have even cut down substantially on the amount of reagents I carry (resulting in a lot more fizzled spells :() so I can carry more animal hides, ore, cotton, loot, etc. :oops: I DO NOT like having to make frequent trips (every 1.5 -2.0 hours) back to town or home to unload this stuff :mad:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Soulicide, Jivalax Azon and docdoom77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.