Epic Artifacts

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Dreadwhisper, Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

So from my understanding there are only a few Epic quality artifacts in the game. I'm trying to understand the push for adding enchanting on 4 items in the games without adding any more new Epic quality artifacts to the game.

I think all artifacts should be enchantable but why the rush to get those 4 items on the list without adding other ones?

I've also heard on a couple SOTA livestreams that Atos is looking to move away from artifacts entirely. Seems like an game identity crisis where only certain aspects of combat and crafting will have these epic artifacts.

Just trying to get some clarification on what direction the game is going in... Thanks
    -Dreadwhisper

@Elgarion @Chris

Girlsname likes this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm interested too, really.

When artifacts were first added, they were quirky things that were useful but not dramatic must-haves. You might loot one from time to time and think oh, that's kinda cool, and that was the end of it really.

With combinability and enchant/masterworkability they've now become best-in-slot absolutes for nearly every build. Satisfaction with loot in general has become "did I get an artifact off this boss kill? If no, the loot was bad." And I don't think that was the original intent, however, because you now need 124 of the same unique world-rare-drop arti to get it to the highest tier, before you even look at enchanting/masterworking bits...well, they've created an impossible situation. Sure, there's a handful of people who will grind (or more likely, buy) gold and scoop up artis from everywhere and combine them into SuperArtis, but an awful lot of time/effort is going into a system that the majority of players will never use.

I am the sort of player who spent hours every day killing boss tier creatures (who could/should drop artifacts) and after years I'm still nowhere close to a single epic.
    There's no reliable way to get there either, its just, hope you get lucky. That's it. Its a bad system, made worse by pushing the problem to the right and making them even more combinable.

Honestly, I think where the problem started was this whole notion of masterworking and enchanting artifacts, and letting gems be socketed into them. Prior to that, the artifact jewelry and wands were certainly an option, but they're pretty much essentials at this point simply because of how much attunement you can get. But, we can't unring the bell. Hnoestly artifacts being made epic is probably the number 1 contributor to my recent lack of interest in playing - I simply don't have the enthusiasm to grind millions of gold to buy super rare drop crap and "maybe" have the enchanting/masterworking go correctly. I looked up that mountain and thought "nah" and went back to other MMOs.

I'm interested to know if long term this is going to change, will crafted gear be comparable, or are we philosophically commuted to this system of "artifacts or nothing" ?

3. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

The problem with crafted gear unfortunately is with xp rates and soft caps being the way they are... Everyone and their mother can make decent pieces. Upkeep for artifacts takes considerably more gold than crafted gear and removing artifacts from the game would actually penalize crafters in the long run. thousands of the same pieces being made every week; no need to buy from others with the current durability wear as it is.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  4. Dreadwhisper

Dreadwhisper Avatar

Oh well, guess it's best to come back to the game when they decide which direction to move into. GG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.