Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

EULA and TOS

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Gubbles, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You're right that the legal terms should be easily accessible, since they've asked us to agree to those terms. I'm sure they'd agree.

I used to read all that crap.

It's pretty hard to disclaim your way out of negligence, and almost impossible to disclaim your way out of gross negligence, fraud and criminal conduct. Which is why I never read the fine print of Portalarium, car rental companies, ticket stubs, recreational waivers, etc. If something goes horribly wrong, you typically have a remedy. If someone just screws up, then maybe not.

My unsolicited advice to you, is not to worry about the legalities of a gaming experience. Spend the time grinding instead!

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Since you seem to have taken the time to read the SotA EULA and TOS, I will assume you looked at the Kickstarter TOS.

Kickstarter TOS

Seems like there is belief that we are investors though. We are not.

Kickstarter 101: FAQ

Some key points in the FAQ
    We are pledging to support, not investing.
    Kickstarter Rules
    Investors and shareholders we are not. If they chose to provide this info during the Kickstarter campaign it would a choice and optional. Could be useful during the campaign to provide this info and secure the funding goal though.

Now we are out of the Kickstarter campaign and in the build phase. What they provide to anyone is still optional. The only obligation now is delivering the product.

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Investment implies some return on investment is what attracted the investor. There is no published ROI goals here.

Prepurchase implies that you get something proscribed for the amount paid. That is what the pledge system here more or less does.

4. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Yep, I've read it. I don't prescribe to the KS interpretation of investment. In truth there is no obligation to finish the project only the obligation to return funding to backers if the project can't meet promises. Interesting tangent: backers that came after KS likely do not benefit in the same way.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I made that exact same comment to someone I was discussing this topic with. The Kickstarter funding only is backed by the Kickstarter rules. Anything from the store is under the store rules.

Tarsin likes this.
  6. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Well in any case, I'd be happy to see this thread die when R12 rolls around. My idealistic idea of how I want to world to work is a bit of a fantasy, and I didn't intend to make this a soapbox type of post..

7. smack

smack Avatar

So, anyone ever decline a EULA or TOS for a game...like ever?

Budner and Joviex like this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I did that once, didn't read anything, just clicked thinking I was hitting the next button. Oh look, someone put a decline button there.

Auto pilot FTW

smack likes this.
  9. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I've purchased cars for thousands of dollars, but this is the first game over $90 I've ever 'purchased.' If there was ever a time to read and decline a game because of the EULA and TOS, I suspect now would be the right moment to do so. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.