Eventually Create an Area dedicated to pvp:

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Glory, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glory

Glory Avatar

Lets say that in this particular area its up to the players to take control of this land. Depending on who wins what battles and takes over which parts could lead into either major achivements for players, as well as if they take control of the area then maybe they can gain the resources from it only found in this area for a time of some length, until the next siege, when the other side has regained its forces to prepare battle, and it begins all over again. A lot of non pvpers could enter while the area is controlled to have the ability to snag up some of the resources while it is currently safe as well as help the pvpers repair their equipment ect to be ready for the next battle. There could be some sort of Warning call or War Cry that warns of battle so that the non pvpers can retreat the area before battle emerges. I see this as being a way for the non-pvpers and pvpers to bond in ways that would be healthy for the community.

2. triXta

triXta Avatar

Bucs Den bro.

3. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

A lot players here seem to have the idea, that PvE players don't like PvP, because they are looking for easy mode content. I assure you: That's not the case. As long as there is enough challenging and just as rewarding content, there will be no problems between PvE players and PvP players. The problem with your suggestion is, that PvP players will inevitably look down on those PvE players, that only come by to gather some of the leftover resources like beggars or vultures. I don't think, that would be healthy for any kind of community.

Trust me, when the word goes round, that your PvP content is fun, PvE players will look by all by themselves. There is no need, to force them too, by putting the best resources in those areas only.

Aside from that I support your idea for fun, challenging and rewarding PvP battles. I hope, they can achieve that with castle sieges. What I don't like in your suggestion is, that it would require some kind of faction system and I'm not very fond of forced alliances.

4. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Glory:

I am not sure if you have ever had the privilege to play Ultima Online. I am hoping the PvP in SoTA is going to be on a similar level. There is not a single thing that has came close. There are a few free servers which attempt to emulate the PvP of that era, perhaps you could go give those a try to see what PvP in SoTA may be like?

5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I have to strongly agree on this. Although I have no clue as to how things will really work, I think this is something to really consider.
    I would like to call it endgame, but really it's just additional content that goes to some lengths to create a system which basically 'extends' the game world in some way.

Also, Lord British I think gave us clues that he has many interesting thoughts for things that might be going on which are not stricktly dungeons or battles, including fun ideas like racing, emoting or other festivity.

some random thoughs of epic things happening which are available via group queue or instance GUI.

- ethereal planar battle
    - abyss dungeon
    - fight at the crater/volcano

I mean maybe it's too cliche for Sota but I can definitely see the need for *something* post quest area.

In my view, I see the game basically starting a new post-leveling. Players at that time would then either;
    a)quit or continue to play solo
    b)be active pk or pvp'er
    c)play multi-player content in areas that are repeatable

6. Glory

Glory Avatar

@AndiZ275 Much respect to your reply! These are only ideas to have a foundation to build on. I was really just being as brief as possible, but really I agree with you that a lot of pvp players could be upset about the non pvpers that are coming in like scavengers to hog up all the resources. I am sure there are ways to make it so the people involved would be more group parties or guilds, ect to that relation to make this a bit less of a headache. And I agree with you whole heartidly this should not be any type of forced alliance. I was merely at the beginning of this brainstorm :D

7. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Ideas and suggestions are always good and generally I love the idea :)

8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

PvP is a dirty word to some. It's really about player driven content. I absolutely see factions playing a big role, but not fixed ones. Imagine there's a "justice" faction and a "compassion" factions. The actions of players, whether it's button mashing PvP or just out thinking and out playing will push control one way or the other.

Imagine the game Civilization. You didn't necessarily need to fight and win more battles to take over the world. You could make your cities grow faster, you could research technology faster, etc.

This will be a PvP game in the broad sense. But that doesn't mean if will be about reds taking loot from unwilling players. It will simply have dynamic territories and spheres of control and players will play whatever role in this they want to.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

"... a lot of pvp players could be upset about the non pvpers that are coming in like scavengers to hog up all the resources."

Guild Wars 2 had a good take on resource gathering. A resource node is private to every player. If I find an ore node, I can mine it, and for me, it then disappears and doesn't reappear again until after a spawn delay. That doesn't affect the visibility of that node for another player. If they haven't minded it yet, it still appears for them even though is doesn't appear on my display.

I think that particular in SotA, given the system architecture, there is no reason to make it so that just because I mine a resource, that resource disappears for everyone else. Make it so everyone has their own resource map, then you don't have to worry about anyone hogging resources.

10. Glory

Glory Avatar

@Owain: I agree this could be done very easily via Private Resource Node, however with Richards designs he tends to lean toward the more realisticly interactive approach, in which me and lot of my friends have been missing out on for far too long. In UO you would have to mine off the side of a mountain or rocky areas alike to be able to gather ore, and honestly we liked it like that because it brought challenge of many varieties. In my own opinion, I like the idea that not everyone may be able gather them seeing as how that could make some resources more valuable and add higher demand in barter and trade.

11. Glory

Glory Avatar

Resources of course do not have to be a primary focus here, there could many other activities or things that would help the people want to come to this area while they have access to it. I am merely supporting the idea that a strong community can be built for those seeking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.