Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Exp gains seem bugged...

Discussion in 'Release 27 Bug Forum' started by SmokerKGB, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

3/7/2016 11:54 PM
    Title: Exp gains seem bugged...
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? no
    Details: It seems that both producer & adventure Exp gains are bugged, when I fail to harvest I loose Exp, when I succeed, I loose Exp. For Adventure I loose, loose many small amounts of Exp, then when I kill it, the Exp awarded doesn't make up for the loses. My adventurer is still at x4, but my production has expired and is normal.
    Steps to Reproduce: Goto this scene and harvest / kill everything, in the beginning when x4 applies to both adventure & production, it seems the gains out weigh the loses, but as soon as you loose the x4 for production, it seems that you loose Exp for everything you do. So I thought you only loose exp when you gain in skill, it doesn't seem to be working that way, I loose Exp points on both fails & successes, so I'm reporting it as a Bug.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System RAM: 32723
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 GPU RAM: 4026
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.393.Date.03.07.16
    Area: BrightbonePass
    Loc: (269.2, 72.1, 355.0)

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. Many players have been reporting lately about their concerns for how the Exp system works. We'd like to let you know that we are investigating it closely for changes and polish that we might apply in the near future. We will work to make sure that the end result is both balanced and intuitive for players.

3. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

4. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

For the people reporting, one thing you might do is this:

Go to a harvesting node.
    Press K to open up the skills page.
    Click on Crafting
    Expand Harvesting
    Select the type based on the node you are near.
    Set all of your skills to maintain by clicking on the most likely green triangle ^ just above the skill icon.
    By default it is set to train. Set it to maintain for now.
    Harvest the node.
    On success, you should see an increase in your producer pool.

For me at least using mining deposits as an example, based on difficulty, I am awarded 100, 300, or 500 crafting XP for successfully harvesting an ore deposit.
    If I have over 32k of crafting experience in my crafter pool, then I expend around 600 XP when attempting to harvest an ore node.
    So on success I would gain 500, but 600 would be funneled into training my harvesting skills set to train. Thus I would appear to lose 100 crafting xp.
    If my crafting XP degrades to a lower pool, then less XP goes into training on use.
    Currently, If I stick to the 500 XP nodes, my crafting XP pool hovers from 16k, to 32k.
    I can go beyond that by setting all of my appropriate crafting skills to maintain (mining, speed, survey, and meticulous collection).
    Once I build up a pool, I can expend it by enabling training on the skill(s) I want to boost.

Remember to set things back to train if that is what you want after performing this experiment.

SmokerKGB and Aldo like this.
  5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Same thing as with crafting. Each skill use or attack moves adventurer experience into your skills if they are set to train.
    Each innate/passive skill and then the current used active skill consume some adventurer experience on use.
    Innates are "used" at each action.
    Active skills are used on each actual use.
    You are awarded adventurer experience when you defeat a monster.
    If the amount you expend during combat (transferring from adventurer XP to the skills in use) exceeds the amount you earn on defeating the monster, then you will have a net loss to your xp pool.
    To fix that you can either:
    A. Go fight tougher things. (See number of skulls on the pike at entrances to an area to determine difficulty, monster name color can help with that, green is easy, gold is hard)
    B. Set some or all active/innate skills to maintain or not training.
    Should see an increase in the adventurer XP pool.
    Note, since your XP is not going into those skills, those skills will not advance. So it is a balancing act. It becomes one moreso as you get more skills to higher levels.

Aldo likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I tested this today, and 1st I had to run out of my 4x production bonus: I mined the Owl's Nest mining area, my chr level is 58, mining of 90 proficiency, survey & swiftness, 84 meticulous... All were turned to gain, I started with 23,306 production and ended with 33,708, my % chance for ore is 66%, for crystals ranged from 86% to 100%, at first my ore success was +1624 and slowly reduced to +1484, crystals were +24 then reduced to -100 to -96 as I mined the entire cave once...

Then I lost the 4x bonus and started to fail occasionally: crystals on a success gave me -440 down to -396 exp, where ore gave me -18 down to -4 on success, and -520 to -512 on fails... These #s seem real whacked out... but it slowly turned to +16 with fails of -55 for ore... crystals still -364 on success, I finished with 26,184 exp...

Then I did as you suggested: turned everything OFF and got consistent +500 for ore, +100 for all crystals and nothing for fails... Stopped at 34,736 exp... I then turned my maticulous to the red ^ not knowing this was for "maintain, but still uses the pool exp"... I never used any pool exp, but I still got +500 and +100 for ore & crystals and stopped at 43,436 exp...

Turning maticulous to gain, returned to -596 for crystal success and -188 for ore success, on fails it was --672 for ore, I stopped at 41056 exp with only one gain to maticulous after 23 trys, ending with 85 skill in maticulous...

Again I think it's broken, I don't believe negative numbers is quite the way it should work and you shouldn't be forced to turn everything OFF, just to gain exp...

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Look at the little green line under meticulous. It goes up a little every time you mine. That little gain in the skill is caused by application of points from the experience pool. In your case, on ore you gain 500 for success, but 688 is used from the pool for skill gain. This leaves you with an apparent loss of 188. But it is not a loss. Your skill went up by 688 composed of the 500 you just earned and 188 you earned when you built your pool.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  8. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Correct. When you have something training, the same amount of experience is flowing down the channel from the pool to the skills on success. It just depends on how you choose to control the flow. It can be directed against a single skill or multiple skills.

If directed against a single skill, it will naturally advance faster than if directed against all 4.

9. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

BTW, haven't tested with large crystals, but small and medium both give 100 XP. I suspect large do as well. So that makes me wonder if medium and large have placeholder experience since usually harder to mine == more XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.