Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Expected]Toggle cursor does not work properly when talking to NPC with multiple dialgos

Discussion in 'Release 40 Bug Forum' started by Kron Caledon, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

3/30/2017 1:42 PM
    Title: Toggle cursor does not work properly when talking to NPC with multiple dialgos
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details:
    This issue occurs talking to a NPC with a separate dialog other than the chat dialog (e.g. the Town Crier with the lots dialog, or a merchant with both the purchase dialog and a separate "hello" chat dialog).

If you close the non-chat dialog first (e.g. close the Lots dialog for the Town Crier), then your mouse is now bound to mouse look, and you cannot toggle cursor. So you cannot click on the chat dialog again - you have to hit Esc to cancel out.

A workaround is to stay on the chat dialog, and not hit any other dialog.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Talk to NPC with multiple dialogs - e.g. Town Crier, Merchant with "hello"
    2) Close the non-chat dialog
    3) Observe that you can no longer toggle cursor, and cannot click back into the chat dialog.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12) System RAM: 32687
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4059
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.576.Date.03.29.17
    Area: Novia_R3_City_Brittany
    Area Display Name: Central Brittany
    Loc: (434.0, 26.1, 252.5)

alioth likes this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This sounds somewhat expected. The game is remembering what mode you were in when you opened those menus, creates the cursor, and then reverts the cursor when the menus are closed assuming you're done. Presumably you should be able to double click on the vendor again to bring up the cursor again and select hello to talk further from there?

We also made some changes to our toggle cursor binding, I'd check your in game options to verify if toggle cursor is set up the way you want it from the controls menu.

3. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@Attenwood
    The problem is that while you're in this state - you cannot toggle your cursor. So you're panning the mouse around (expecting the cursor to go down to the chat dialog) , but you can't reach the chat dialog because your view is now locked to your mouse.

Expected behavior - would be:
    1) Your cursor still stays in the same mode until ALL menus related to that NPC are closed. Right now - it's reverting when one of the menus are closed (e.g. for the Town Crier, closing the Lots dialog reverts and locks the cursor mode when the chat dialog is still up)

and/or

2) You should be able to toggle your cursor no matter what. This currently doesn't happen - in this state, you cannot toggle your cursor.

(I've checked my settings for toggle cursor keys and binding)

So what happens is:

- I talk to the Town Crier
    - I close the Lots dialog
    - now when I pull my mouse down to the chat dialog - I can't click on the chat dialog because the cursor is now stuck on Mouse Look mode (so the view pans down, instead of the cursor going down to the chat dialog).
    - In this state - I cannot toggle my cursor - so I'm stuck, not able to go to the chat dialog.
    - Only thing I can do is Esc out and double click on the vendor again and say hello again.

4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

1. I have verified my Toggle Cursor option is set to Mouse3
    2. I engage the nearest banker while in reticle mode
    3. The banker's UI opens up while activating cursor
    4. Closing the bank window reverts to Reticle mode, the remembered mode
    5. Hitting Mouse3 activates the Cursor Toggle giving me access to the cursor again
    6. I can click on "Hello" if I feel like it.

5. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@Attenwood

I have reproduced this on the Town Crier, on Build 579. The banker works as you describe. One difference I see is that the Town Crier uses the new central chat UI by default when first engaged. I also could reproduce this at the Oracle - which also uses the new NPC chat UI.

(By reticle mode I think you mean where panning your mouse moves the view around, vs. cursor mode where you're moving the cursor around. Let me know if I'm mixing up the terminology.)

I am at the Town Crier in Brittany Alleys - at the entrance from Novia.
    Area: Brittany Alleys (Novia_R3_City_Brittany_Alley) Loc: (215.2, 44.5, 196.4)

1. I have verified my Toggle Cursor option is set to Tab. No other keys are set to Tab (Next Target is set to F)
    2. I engage the Town Crier using "e" while in reticle mode (panning mouse moves the view around)
    3. The Town Crier's "Brittany Alleys Lots" UI opens up while activating cursor. The normal chat window disappears, and the central NPC dialog opens up in the middle.
    4. Closing the "Brittany Alleys Lots" window reverts to Reticle mode, the remembered mode
    5. Hitting Tab DOES NOT activate the Cursor Toggle giving me access to the cursor again. I cannot access the cursor. Moving the mouse pans the view around.
    6. My only choice now is to hit Escape to close the dialog completely and exit the conversation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.