Failure chances for Masterwork and Enchantment

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Bonulino, Dec 20, 2023.

1. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

Can the chances of failure for enchanting and masterworking crafted items be calculated from the levels at you have in those skills? If so, what is the formula?

FrostII likes this.
  2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I am not aware of the formula for failure rate or if it is even available.
    The game displays success rate (rather than failure rate).
    The success rate is shown in the lower part of the crafting window when you have selected the appropriate recipe (see yellow circle in picture below).
    The success chance for masterwork depends on:
    • Your masterworking skill level
    • The number of masterworks that are already on the item you are masterworking - for example, the success rate of subsequent masterworks decreases after each successful masterwork applied to the item. See the pic below in which I masterwork a sword 4 times (note that a failure will decrease the durability of the item, but it does not decrease the success chance of a subsequent masterwork).
    Although the success rate decreases after each successful masterwork, the power of the buffs that are offered will increase after each successful masterwork. For example, if you get the option of +7 strength with the first masterwork, the second masterwork may offer +7.5 strength, the third may offer +8 strength, etc. So, crafters will often attempt the most important buffs later in the masterwork process in order to get the highest power for that buff.

Each time you successfully masterwork an item, its durability decreases. However, an item must have more than 30 maximum durability to be Masterworked and a maximum of 5 masterworks can be placed on an item. So, it is possible that you run out of durability on an item before you reach the maximum of 5 masterworks.

Enchanting follows similar rules to those listed above for masterworking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  3. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

if I can find my charts, I'll post them this weekend.

FrostII and Spinok like this.
  4. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

Thank you. :) Knowing the success rate is as good as knowing the failure rate. I didn't realize the success rate shows up in the crafting window.

Adam Crow and FrostII like this.
  5. Bonulino

Bonulino Avatar

Another question about enchantment and masterwork success rates. At what level of the enchantment skill or the masterwork skill does the success rate for the first enhancement reach 100%?