Favorite and least favorite towns/cities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firegold, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

My least favorite town is my POT because it's not in the game yet. It will quickly become my favorite once it's added, assuming it doesn't get stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Acred and firegold like this.
  2. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

We just have to wait for Celestis to be added to the game. Don't you have to go through Solania to get there?

3. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I like Owl's Head, wish there was a teleporter right after the first section of village lots that takes you to the bank. Guess that might divert some of the traffic away from the lots in the center of the town though.. hmm. Most of the time I would be swinging back around for the recipe vendor, reagents, crafting vendor etc.

Ardoris is cool but a bit confined for my taste I prefer areas that are well lit and more open. Just a matter of preference. My house is connected to Kingsport at the moment, still deciding where to place the new house when the wipe occurs.

4. Retro

Retro Avatar

Favorite:
    Owl's Head ... Signifies how far we have come since the beginning

Least Favorite: (sorry owners...)
    A POT named "Little Italy" because (I hate it when people say this but), it applies so: "It breaks mah immershon!" ;)

Cosimo likes this.
  5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Pretty sure the devs said Little Italy is a placeholder and will be removed. To be replaced with "Star Wars City" in order to preserve immersion;).

Eriador, Numa, Cosimo and 7 others like this.
  6. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

"Hollywood" is just as bad so that would be my least fav. Immersion imschmersion the game is built on lore names like that are anti-lore and they know it is, I will just say it, it's str8up lazy to name your New Britannian village something as lazy as "new Italy" or "Hollywood".

Cosimo, Andaluz and Retro like this.
  7. Ceara_Quein

Ceara_Quein Avatar

I don't like Owl's Head because I'm forced to run a long way past un-scenic player plots and endless vendor clones just to get to the town.

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Rats Nest is my favorite by far.

firegold and Budner like this.
  9. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

The names Brittany and Britannia are not original either, so New Britannia is actually not any more original than New Italy.

As someone who has a 2-page list of potential names for his POT I can attest to the fact that coming up with an original name that isn't complete gibberish is actually more difficult than you'd think.

Kara Brae likes this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Owl's head is ok....no npc city seems to be ready for being a favorite city.

Least favorite:
    Any PoT

Deliverence likes this.
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I feel your passion around this topic, but I can't follow the argument. What is lazy or immersion breaking about Outlanders naming their new home after a place in their old homeland? I think that fits in perfectly. *puzzled*

Scraps and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

As someone with a novel in the works with 500+ original names with zero matches on google I can say it is beyond easy to come up with new original names. I guess some people got it and some don't though, but to those that don't, at least give it a try, if I can come up with an original name that to me sounds cool within 5 seconds surely they can come up with one in a week. That's why it's lazy.

And to the guy that thinks Britannia and Brittany and Britain is lazy blame that on the guys that gave Garriott the nickname Lord British back in his early D&D days because he was born in the UK.

At this rate you guys will end up with a massive civil war when the game launches. Ultima fans vs anti-ultima fans who will be playing this game ironically?

13. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

NPC communities? I like them all, but right now I like Solania the best. It is pretty for a swamp town. It isn't too big nor too small. It is near Solace Bridge which gets me to Owl's Head and it is just a short run to Ardoris. It has all the crafting tables, resource vendor, and most of the recipes. It has fishing and swamp sheep. It has a bank, a trainer, a tavern, and some quests.

The least? Ardoris, but only because I get gamers' vertigo there. (I think the frame rate slows down just enough in there to give me the queasies) :oops:

Cosimo, lfalk and firegold like this.
  14. Huma Tunarith

Huma Tunarith Avatar

I believe I read that Washington D.C. was built in a swamp. So that's no reason to knock Solania! ;D I think it has potential. I really look forward to Celeste, and Aerie, and Etceter. Hopefully we see more brilliant and original feeling towns out of each of those, and the rest of the story-based towns in Novia. Perhaps some towns will be limited to specific types of housing to help the 'feel'.

lfalk and Miracle Dragon like this.
  15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

True fact. And we keep sinking lower every day it seems :(. I don't care which party you belong to, vote the bums out in November!

Back on topic, love Solania and the whole swamp thing. Reminds me of Louisiana, but with wizardry.

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

That's fine as long as there's a ruined Star Destroyer in the middle of the city.

Back to the thread :

Like Kingsport and Owl's Head

Not as much : Ardoris, too many Watchers

17. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

i would say kingsport,that said they could do alot to improve kingsport, but so fare its the only town/village that looks realistic with thought put to it.

18. Cambion

Cambion Avatar

I think the Towns all Have a good Flavor but as many at the moment i still like the Hidden Vale set , what I do not like is grubby looking player plots they should add a system where objects placed in the outside plot considered indoor items should maybe cause rent increases. Also anyone placing desert foicused buildings in forest based town or vice versa should incur (Multiplied rent tarrifs ......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.