Feature question ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Ibim, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibim

Ibim Avatar

Will we have the ability to be a scribe and write books and publish them in library's in the game?

Would love to be able to write down my adventures for other people to read. And maybe inspire them to explore the world, and discover places I have visited with my avatar.

Regards from Patrik

2. BK_

BK_ Avatar

Good idea. I would also want to see in-game lore books as in Ultima games and early UO found in the world.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As much as I like that idea there's just one little detail that makes this sort of thing kinda iffy. That being the things SOME people will write in them. There would have to be a mechanism in place to review said books and where necessary, remove them.

4. BK_

BK_ Avatar

They can always static them if they dont want people to ruin the content. However, if we are talking about 'absolute' freedom then these books can just spawn randomly like in Skyrim and there would always be a possibility to find a non-ruined one and read it.

Also, Imagine the scenario when some players would specifically re-write the lord in the book so as to make RP-oriented players and simply folks who love the lore to get incorrect information on the world, which then would case huge battles on the web about how the things really were...heheh...brilliant.

Also, UO has special ink which cannot be removed once applied.. can be a part of alchemy.

Many possibilities and I like them all. After all if it has no books or anything in it, it's not really a story-driven world.

5. lsommerer

lsommerer Avatar

BK, I like the way you think.

6. Gamer3427

Gamer3427 Avatar

I'd really like to have player created works within the game, but in my opinion, it would be best if there was a system in place so that they would have to be published in game.....

Ideally, this would be incorporated into the player-shop system in some way, in that a player could only write one copy of a book, but could then submit it in some way to a publisher for it to be widely distributed in game. Published books would become available as random loot, as well as being found in certain shops....

Published books would appear in game as "(Book Title) by: (Player's Name)", to allow different players to create books of the same name, so that book names wouldn't quickly be taken and unable to be used.......

In addition, a publishing company could be shut down if they published too many books with "inappropriate content", which would cause a screening process to be implemented, and thus cut down on "junk" books that serve no purpose......

Players could of course theoretically create multiple books on their own without using a publisher, but unpublished books wouldn't be added to item lists, and as such would be a lot harder to circulate. Maybe overall, this wouldn't be the best way to implement player books into the game, as it would require the people who want to work as publishers to do a lot of work for a book to enter circulation, but at the very least, it's a start.....

7. Barthalonious_Monk

Barthalonious_Monk Avatar

One of my favorite things about UO, and I preach it all the time, was that I could walk up to a tree, take my axe and chop off some wood. With that wood I can carve a stool, place it on the ground... and sit on it. As minimal as that sounds, it was that type of crafting system that I really love. Being self sufficient to craft a multitude of items that you need for various reasons is one of my favorite gaming experiences.

Also, having weapons crafted by individuals that display their mastery level on the weapon was really impressive.

I could write forever in these posts because I have endless suggestions and fond memories of UO. I haven't played too many of the earlier Ultima games, so UO is my baseline.

Regards,
    BM

8. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

Really great ideas here. I love the idea of scribe skill.

Our initial focus will be on the core crafting skills that deal with resource acquisition/refinement and craft production. I see this as more of a secondary crafting skill but one with a lot of great story and role-playing potential.

Lore books might show in the game initially to support story elements before the development of a specific skill but we're not sure yet where this fits into current development.

9. Urganite

Urganite Avatar

<blockquote cite="B (Dev)">Our initial focus will be on the core crafting skills that deal with resource acquisition/refinement and craft production. I see this as more of a secondary crafting skill but one with a lot of great story and role-playing potential.</blockquote>

It's hard to argue against that logic, since the framework for the actual game part kind of needs to be there so the game can be played before this kind of stuff goes in. That said, stuff like how in-game books are shared/distributed in a world where there isn't necessarily going to be a lot of options for "broadcasting" (or even leaving them lying around for other people to pick up) is kind of important from a low-level design perspective. I mean, really, what good is a book no one else is going to see? I guess you could place them on vendors...who would buy an in-game book, much less try to find a vendor selling them? And, well...if they're going to be craftable items, they should be a part of the tailoring profession (no, no, no, <em><b>not</b></em> the woodcrafting profession...*sigh*) if there is one. Really, I just wanted to get that in your head so I don't see wooden books with apparently wooden pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.