Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback on NPC dialogue

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Svahn, Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

This release I have done a few starter quests (for as long as I could follow the questchains, which were not long, but thats for another thread) and the hat quest and I have spoken to a bunch of NPCs.

I feel I must give the same feedback that I did many episodes ago, from before you started zooming in on the NPC's:
    • Please move NPC dialogue away from the chat window and into a new window in the main view straight in your face.

It feels bad as it is now, it feels like I am chatting to my friends, friends who don't understand much of anything on top of that, so they won't be my friends for much longer o_O.

Perhaps like when you doubleclick on a NPC a new NPC dialogue window should open where you get zoomed in and below that graphics part (still in the same window) the dialogue could take place.
    Totally separate from the chat and combat message window as it is now.

And not full screen zoom in like now - keep it in a nice separate centered unmovable window,
    that way we can still see some of our surroundings outside the window.

And while we are at it, in our nice new NPC window, use some nice fonts and make it a pleasure to read the dialogue and see the magic colored keywords we should click on.
    If someone doesn't like to see the magic keywords -> create an option in the settings to make them appear as normal words, unclickable - for those of that fetish.

Oh well, these suggestions are just off the top of my head and perhaps not well thought through, but still they are an indication of what I feel would be a big improvement.

Cheers.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

I personally like the consistency of having a chat window to chat with both players and NPCs. Otherwise, the UI feels arbitrary. With that said, I totally agree that NPCs dialogue needs some work although I wouldn't do it in another window.
    - it'd look weird.
    - you'd have two separate (and un-relatable) UI elements to handle chat.

I'd like the dialogue to (also) appear above the NPC's head (like any other dialogue - keep it consistent guys) but maybe you could spice it up a bit with a darker backdrop (similar to how all the other UI elements so far are a dark translucent) to make that particular dialogue pop out from the rest.

In "zoom view", the dialogue should function at least like a subtitled video. Use a larger font at the waist/chest level and have a dark backdrop to make the text pop out.

Also, the collision detection should probably do a quick check to see who collided with who. I'm tired of standing still and finding and NPC walking over me saying "hey, watch where you're going!"

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I cannot agree more that the windows need to be separated....use the MMO window to display combat and other player chat, but please...it is horrible right now...I'm not exaggerating.

@Lord_Darkmoon darkmoon showed a pretty good example of a chat window.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

At least the offline mode should get a separate dialgoue window and remove the chat window completely as a chat window has no purpose in a single player game.

Here is my suggestion for a dialogue window:

[​IMG]

As I wrote in another thread it should have:
    A cool looking border, be non-transparent, have a fixed position in the middle of the lower half of the screen. It should feature spaces between what the dialogue partners say, formated text and easy to spot who said what by having the dialogue be left-aligned for what we say and right-aligned for what the other says.
    Also it should just feature NPC text.

Right now in order to get a somewhat usable dialogue window we simply have to take too many steps:
    1. move the chat window to a proper position
    2. resize it
    3. Change what is shown in the window
    4. Change it for every single tab.

And even then the window doesn't look very atmospheric and the text is still an unformated wall of text that is not easy to read and looks like a protocol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    rune_74 and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.