Feedback - Polearms

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by DaemienX, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

I spent the last couple of days fiddling around with polearms, and while they seem acceptable, I have a few concerns:

1) The range-increasing Innate skill is nearly useless. Mobs will always run up into their attack range, and trying to play keepaway with them just to take advantage of a slightly longer attack range is futile. At best, this skill gets me an extra hit as they approach, and maybe, maybe an extra hit after they get up from the push knockdown. I've seen many MMO's try to implement this, and it ends the same every time. An increased attack range simply isn't that beneficial (especially not worthy of it's own innate slot). I'd much rather see this increase it's effective attack radius on normal attacks - maybe up to 180 or 270 degrees. Alternatively, since the skill that is dependent on this one is defensive in nature, perhaps an innate parry chance.

2)Pull - this is one of the oddest skills I've seen. The range is further than your standard melee enemy's range, but not really far enough to grab a ranged opponent. As it stands, it's just another attack with some extra damage. Maybe if it temporarily rooted them it would be useful, but as it stands? Nope. I'd rather see a low (or no) damage, high radius trip here. Or perhaps a blunt stun/daze using the haft?

I know that increased range would be a great distinguishing factor to separate polearms from their melee brethren, but it's one of those things that just isn't practical. The threat of being outranged in melee is non-existent for enemies, since they quickly close distance, take one hit and then are on even ground - and that one hit doesn't do enough to justify an entire innate skill. I personally think having polearms be about increased circular coverage versus linear would be a great quality.

2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

The extra range allows you to kite multiple mobs, as for pull I only see it useful in PVP when that guy is trying to run away..

Adam Crow and Kara Brae like this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I love pole arms and have been very pleased to see them as a distinct skill line in SOTA. But what I keep wondering is what offensively or defensively will make pole arms more compelling than the DOT/Coup de Grace of blades or the knockdown ability of the bludgeons. Is the feature set of the pole arms enough to be compelling at end game other than looking cool?

4. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

How are you kiting with a polearm? I tried, but I'm no faster than standard enemies, so once they get in range, they stay in range.

5. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

That's the million dollar question, eh? Polearms and MMO's have always had compatibility issues, because their defining characteristic is range. I use them as my primary (and favorite) weapon type in Souls games, because of the spatial control they provide. Unfortunately,a weapon's physical swing set doesn't translate well to a non-action game. That's why I suggested that they be given skills/abilities that have a wide radius of effect. That could be their niche, crowd control (in a way). Personally, I think it should be:

Blades - Bleeding/parry
    Bludgeons - Knockdown/stun
    Polearms - Multi-target attacks/trips

6. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Double tap forward (Sprints) to get a bit out of their range and then stack aoe wash rinse repeat.

7. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Poles already hit the most targets per swing naturally. In PvP the trips are game changers..

Fister Magee likes this.
  8. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

See, that's good to know. I tried testing it out but honestly couldn't tell who I was hitting. How big is the arc that it hits in?

9. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Not sure the arc, but check the tooltip of the weapons it tells you on there how many targets are hit with each weapon.

10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I just recently switched from Polearms to Blades and I notice that while Blade combat can do more damages (81 blade vs GM polearm), I have to keep position myself to make sure that I can hit the mobs as many as I could while I just need to make they're not behind me with Polearm.

DaemienX likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

id like to see some of this for pole arms or staffs

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would also love to see an over the head jump attack with the Polearm

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. DaemienX

DaemienX Avatar

I would die for staff-based melee. (non-magical) Staves and Whips get completely forgotten in RPGs.

Retro, Quenton, Beaumaris and 2 others like this.
  14. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I just want to see this :p

One Zero, Beaumaris and Dane Sardock like this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

A collapsible pole weapon would be pretty sweet. :)

Numa and Retro like this.
  16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

In addition to using it to kite, reach makes it much easier to chase down mages and archers when they make a run for it. A lot of the time I don't even Skewer or root them anymore, because with reach I can hit them while they are running (which means they obviously aren't shooting me). This works well because I can root a different target, and beat on the one running away. Definitely helps a lot with crowd control.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  17. Dane Sardock

Dane Sardock Avatar

oh, not only is that one of my favorite movies, but this is my favorite scene in the movie.

HoustonDragon likes this.
  18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Sadly after many, many, many months I'll be switching permanently to swords come next release. The reasons for this are as follows:

1.) For crafting, the pole arm blade is blacksmithing and the handle is carpentry however the skill that puts these two items together and would lead to a crit is carpentry. As someone who wants to be a miner/blacksmith, I can make a sword (hilt and blade) without having to worry about getting wood or also GMing carpentry.

2.) My playstyle is charging up free attacks for as few and as powerful attacks as possible while running and dodging until my next charged attack. Since armor weak points was moved to subterfuge, the only two innates available (reach which I find useless and defensive positions) aren't much use given my playstyle. Swords has some very specific innates that actually compliment my playstyle (crit and damage related).

I will miss the additional target I could hit with a pole arm (4 vs 3 targets) and I'll also miss the extra charge bar that a halberd gives over a two-handed sword (6 vs 5 charge bars). In three months I'll post how the transition went.

Beaumaris and Adam Crow like this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hi Sara,
    You will have Whirling Blades and the powerful Sawblade Sweep, which will make the transition easier regarding multiple targets... ;)

Personally, I'm sticking with Polearms for now and will depend on my guildies for making them for me. :cool:

Sara Dreygon and Beli like this.
  20. Beli

Beli Avatar

I been polearms since combat was put in the game. Never tried any other weapon so I cant compare it to other weapon skills. Guess I am a stick in the mud.:) love polearms.

Sara Dreygon and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.