Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feeling lost in Crooked Shank

Discussion in 'Release 48 Feedback Forum' started by Nick, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

In the previous release, I was at crooked shank looking for the key to the mayor's house. It was kinda dark, so to pass time, I cast a few spells. A guard walked towards me and next moment I know, he was attacking me. Then the whole town is chasing me. So me, with a high coward score, ran as fast as i could out of the scene.

This release I went back in again. Guard and Mayor still attacks on sight. So I decided to sneak around the back to find the hidden tunnel. I found it. Cleared the elves. Ran past the slimes, talked to one of the elven child. Meanwhile, a slime followed me and tickled me from behind, and the next moment, I instinctively unsheathed and killed the child standing in front of me. Now, the rest of the elven children are screaming murderer.

Not really sure what happened.

1. Perhaps when first entering the town, the guard should warn me about unsheathing my weapon.
    2. When I do un-sheathe, they should give a warning shout. Then they attack if I ignore them.
    3. There should be a way to parley with the elves instead of slaughtering them in the tunnels. (a parley emote?) Maybe i missed a step. I dunno.
    4. Those slimes should be leashed. I shouldn't be able to kill a child while trying to have a conversation with him.

I'll probably never gonna find out what went wrong that everyone in crooked shanks wants to kill me now.

Aldo and discipleofweb like this.
  2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I think that this issue should be in the bug forum. Innocents, horses, and etc. should never be targeted when you are attacked by an enemy in close quarters. Even if you are able to use a single target attack in close quarters, if the enemy dies just before you press that skill button for the next swing, the attack will target the nearest alive which may be the innocent you are protecting or trying to interact with. You cannot use tactics to draw the bad guys away because leashing keeps them in the innocent range. When they attack you, one cannot choose not to enter combat and the consequence is a hit on an innocent.

Beaumaris likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Avatar

Hmm... I can’t reproduce to confirm this since I am pretty much screwed. Can I bug it still?

4. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

Yeah that was pretty much my experience with Crooked Shank this release. I had never been there before and I suspected that I could attack the NPC's after reading some of the story. What I didn't expect was that I could auto-attack one by double-clicking to start a conversation. Needless to say, the town came after me and am KOS with a bunch of quests I can't complete.

I think there needs to be a mechanic based on if your character has figured out the shady-ness of the town before you can attack anyone there.

5. Nick

Nick Avatar

@Sannio , is this by design?

6. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

To oversimplify our faction system, we have non-combatants who are "friendly to all" and can't attack or be attacked (e.g. a typical merchant), neutral characters that you can talk when out of combat but will defend themselves if attacked, and "attack on sight" combatants (e.g. the typical enemy). For the most part, the villagers of Crooked Shank are the "defend if attacked" variety, and will "forgive" all past problems each time the map reloads... unless you kill one of them. That's an unforgivable crime and they'll spread the word to all the other villagers. If any of them recognize you've returned, expect combat to begin.

The elf children are set up similarly. The slimes should be reined in, or maybe removed. I'll have to look into that.

If you become "public enemy" in Crooked Shank and have a task in that area that can't be completed, it should clear itself from your task list. If it's not cleared, it's because the task can still be completed, it's just a lot trickier now. But please submit a bug if something seems broken. Maybe I can give you a hint on how to proceed, and probably tweak the quest dialogue/writing.

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Adjusted the slimes this morning. The slimes in this cave now have smaller "leashes," and I added an extra bend in the tunnels prior to the last room.

Nick and Elwyn like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Thanks. I'll try again during QA with another char and see if I can give better feedback. :)

Aldo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.