Female Wearables

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ashlynn [Pax], Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I've been wondering about this and was unsure if to create a thread or not. But it is a big thing for me and I think for other people too, though I'm sure it'll get some other opinions.

While no doubt some people will want to look sexy or whatever, will the female outfits/wearables/armour include a healthy list of "sensible" looking outfits? In short, can I play this game without having to look like a stripper?

Over sexualised female outfits are a cliche in fantasy games and are something I do not like. I don't want to deny people choice but I don't want to be forced to look like someone elses fantasy either. UO was very sensible regarding the wearables. You had the leather bustier and leather skirt through to the proper leather armour and full plate. You had the plain dresses and stuff. You could look as scantily clad or as conservative as you wanted.

What I am wondering is will there be the same choice in SotA?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I was a little surprised when I had a female friend online who wanted 'sexy' outfits for her characters so I know it's a big deal for some.. but I have to agree here that something more.. realistic is also very welcome.

I'm sure there will be reasonable attire for the ladies. It's become a personal pet peave of mine when people come out with mods for other games of female "armors" that can only be thought of as stripper wear. I realise this is a fantasy setting but no woman in her right mind would dress like that in a battle.

And please, please, PLEASE.. NO SPIKED HEALS! I can live with anything else but that! Especially in heavy plate.. really?? Seriouslly?? 20-80 lbs of steel and stiletto heals do NOT mix. Don't care what universe you're from! *cringe*

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

One thing that works well on Lord of the Rings Online is you can have clothes that you wear for their attributes (armor value, for example) but a separate set of clothes that is displayed just for cosmetic purposes. My wife plays an elf Champion, and the female armor makes her look like only a slightly less chunky warrior than I do as a Guardian. Rather that look at that all day, she wears a cosmetic outfit of stylish elvin dresses and robes, which makes her look more like Arwen from The Lord of the Rings than Gimli dressed in female armor.

This also allows her to shop for clothes, which she like to do in real life, since in LotRO, you can have a have dozen cosmetic outfits that you can toggle with the touch of a key. I don't use the feature much, other than to toggle my helmet off, and to wear a cape that isn't quite as ugly as the one I got as a quest reward, but she REALLY likes the cosmetic clothes feature. Right now, she's sporting a stylish outfit in green for St Patrick's Day.

This also avoids the chain mail bikini syndrome, which isn't a problem in LotRO anyway. It's not that the female armor is too sexified. My wife just doesn't find it very fashionable. The shoes are all wrong, for one thing. :D

4. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

+1 like to wearable stripper to non-stripper sensible clothes.

5. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I like the idea @Owain posted about having equipment and then a set of clothes. Having a quick-switch feature would be great!

Now, can you have the clothes over your equipment and keep the stats or would it be one set or the other? You COULD technically have your equipment minus a steel helm but wear a feathered hat just for stylish reasons and still have your stats from the equipment? Maybe the feathered hat has a stat in itself?

And yes, sensible clothing is preferred and more towards the lore although I don't mind seeing a damsel in something sexy every so often.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

That's exactly the way it works, RelExpo. You have gear that you equip for stats, and you can select if it 's visible or not, plus with a cosmetic outfit, you retain the stats from your equipped gear, and only display the cosmetic outfit.

7. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

I would love to see full body functional armor that looks as sexy, cute, or badass, as the player wishes as long as it actually could really protect the character. Sexy means different things to different people & doesnt just mean thonged plate wear. Also, I would love to have costume or non armor type of options, yes even sexy styled things if that is how I feel like dressing my character that day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.