First Names and Last Names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I really like the fact that we get the opportunity to have first and last names for our character.

However, I don't necessarily want to be referred to by both of my names, nor do I necessarily want both first and last names to be displayed. Nor would I want to have to type in someone's first AND last name to send them a message or friend request.

How about the ability to either designate the first or last name as the "primary name". This could be as simple as a radio button to choose which name is primary - only the primary name needs to be unique, and that is the one which would be displayed, and the one used for console commands.

The button choice for primary name could be first, last, or both.

Thoughts?

Budner, Jynx, Vermine and 8 others like this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I second this notion.

Sir Cabirus, Gaelis and Net like this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

You know what is funny? I do not want to be named Net in the game, but I would like to be referred as Net.

The thing is Net is the name of me as personality in Avatar. I should be getting three characters/avatars and I want more game fitting names for them, however Sir Nicholas Mortier is a long name. So I would prefer if we could use entirely different name as well for interaction purposes (e.g. Friendlist).

Jynx, Arianna and Gaelis like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

How do you handle two characters with the same last name? If they both have the option to set their last name as their primary...

Gaelis and Net like this.
  5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I actually was going to add that to my original post - the option to add a "nickname" which would override the regular names for console interaction. Then, I deleted it, because I was thinking that could cause other issues, including what would need to be unique, and other users seeing you and wanting to communicate but not knowing your nickname.

Joviex likes this.
  6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

the same way its done now. Characters currently have to have a unique name, the first one gets it.

Joviex likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Yes, currently both the first and last name need to be unique. But I wonder if that won't always be the case in the future with inherited titles due to kindred / family / marriages etc. I know there was some debate around allowing multiple accounts to have the same last names (for IRL families) but so far they haven't said anything about that. Currently only a single account with multiple characters on it get to have the same last name.

Sir Cabirus and Net like this.
  8. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Choosing what part of your name to display and thus use to communicate with would be a nice option to have.
    With that I mean first name, last name or both.

9. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I really like this idea.
    My surname is really a reflection of my profession, but I'd much rather people just be able to refer to me as Jynx.

Bubonic, Net and Arianna like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.