Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

First Thread and First Feedback

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by mTrCarlos, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mTrCarlos

mTrCarlos Avatar

Hello everyone, my name its Carlos and I'm from Spain, you will find me on New Brittania with the name of Charlie Sheen at the moment. Apologies about my english, it isnt very good :).

This is my first post on the forums, and I'm glad to honor it being my feedback after 3 days and a half of game experience. Also, its a pleasure to help build this collective dream.

I'll start with the community. It feels amazing! all that work, that feedback, that bug report... I'm pretty new here, but I heard really great things about you, guys, even before login and seeing that those things were true. I only can say, thank you.

Also, thanks to the Devs team, for making this kind of dream posible and for listening so much to the community. As a UO player I feel like in home again, and I appreciate that too.

The game, in my opinion, looks great being a pre-alpha. I have to start saying that I'm not updated about what will be on the release, or on the next episodes, so my apologies if I miss something.

• Number of characters. In my opinion I think one character per account its nice for the economy, there are no "mules" or "crafting all" characters and it evens the things. But it may discourage the people who like to solo, or people who share his account (as an example, my brother's wife couldnt create his own character yesterday on my brother account). I don't know how much slots are planned for the release, but 2 or 3 will be a great number for me, or a number wich an account couldnt have all skills raised.
    • Horses. WE NEED HORSES. Just kidding, but rideable horses and horse combat would make all things nicer. Traveling on the world map will be easy (map is big, right ?) and horse battles can be epic. I think this is planned, but I'm saying it anyways, cause WE NEED HORSES.
    • FPS drop on crowded towns. I dont have a high end pc, my specs are: Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 8GB DDR2-800, and an AMD HD 5670. So its already old, but I can play without any trouble on fast settings with no occlusion. The problem comes to the crowded towns. When I enter one of those like Owl's Head, my fps dramatically drops. I can barely move in the entrance unless I change my resolution from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 (Btw, HUD scaling would be nice!). I'll play in the lower resolution all the way if its needed, but I'll appreciate if the devs could augment his range of requeriment specs, making slower computers able to play, even on crowded towns. I know this is still a pre-alpha, and lot of things will be much much better for the release. I hope this is one of those!
    • Criters Sound. They are good in quality, and I know that you are still tweaking this things, but just saying: At the moment they are so frequent that are annoying me most of the time. I found this on turkeys and chickens, not sure if sheeps too.
    • Combat. I still didnt got deep into combat, but by the moment its fun. Coudnt try pvp yet, all my experience comes to leveling till 22. I found that at the moment you can dance around your target to avoid some hits, also against groups I saw some guy runing back and forth while hitting em, and started doing it myself. The result its that now I can last longer against groups, monsters seems to lag or something and they dont hit me, I only have to focus on archers and mages first, the melee's can then be killed running while changing targets, it becomes a crazy dancing. Is this how its supposed to work on release? I'm hoping for some kind of fix here. I noticed that monsters dont have a collision yet, that may be the way. Also I found a little bug with the Inmolation skill: If you use this skill while auto-attacking, the character will stop attacking and begin to cast the spell, however, when the cast bar seems almost complete, you got a chance to auto-attack before the spell its completely cast, as this breaks the cast, the spell will fail. I didnt tried if this is fixed by enabling Prevent Movement while Casting option. Also I wanted to report this bug properly, but I'm still not sure how. Where do a look for the already reported bugs, so I dont report it twice if its already in?
    • Crafting. I didnt had the time to get into the crafting, but my first look was really good. I like the idea of learning some recipe by someone who explains it to you directly how it is crafted, and then you learn it forever. But what fails in this dream its an instant list with all posible recipes on the Internet. That will make this great and beautiful crafting idea useless. And I feel bad for it. Because I really wanted that. (Edit) Also found a little bug here: If you got your recipes book opened, and use a crafting table, the recipe book its kinda duplicated and shows both pages at the same time, the one you got open, and the new one opened by using the crafting table.
    • World Map. I like the idea of the world map besides I'm an open-world guy. It makes adding new zones easier where needed, and random encounters looks promising. It can be even better if mounted :p . I'm not sure if we will see other players on the world map, besides party members. But It'll be nice to see guildies, friends, or maybe whoever you choose to. Guilds on wars comes to my mind, and tools or skills to spy or track your enemies (tracking).
    • Misc Skills. Or, another tab of skills ? I didnt read about this, maybe I missed. I don't know if they got planned to add more skills, or a new skills tab, but that would be nice. A lot of posible skills comes to my mind... tracking (read world map), stealth (its kinda already coming), thieving, taming (i know this one is planned), maybe with a different type of skill tree, or full of passives.
    • White light when return to SOTA window. Im not sure if its only me, but when I tab back to the game a white shine fills my pixels and blinds me for a couple of seconds. Maybe devs can let us disable that effect, or make it less shining. I'm not sure but I think its used too for entering a zone. Also disabling it while playing at night may save money on glasses, so we can spend that money on the game, lol.
    • NPC Conversation and Language. Its a great idea, I like it, but I think getting it correct might take a lot of work from the devs. Also I like the idea to click on the keywords, its useful to people like me who dont speak english very well, also its useful to speed up things. Is it planned language keywords for conversations? I mean... buying by saying "comprar", if spanish its one of the planned languages, of course, wich is my next question. Also, if its planned, may I help in any way with it ?
    • Combos. I like it. A lot! but I got a little problem here. I'm fine with how you create combos with the mouse, just dragging one icon on top of another. The problem here its using the keyboard. Right now to make a combo you must press R then the two desired slots to mix. It isnt quick, having to press 3 keys its way to slow than just click and drag. Also, both ways arent intuitive at all (well, a bit more for the drag and drop method) and arent well explained on the tutorial IMO. I didnt learned to combo till level 10 or so. My suggestion for this its just change the way combos works on keyboard and try to explain it better, maybe you could use the dummy on the tutorial to expand his explanation. For the keyboard thing I'm pretty open, but I was thinking on smashing the two keys at the same time to perform it, or even to mix em only.
    I think I'm still missing something, but I got the most important things. To finish I'll say that I'm already in love with the game, feels fresh, inmersive, living, and well spiced with awesome people. Also, can't wait to get a house so I can try the housing features, any tips here ? ;)

Sorry if this post was too long, I didnt meant to build a brick wall. Also thanks for reading it.

Looking forward to meet a lot of you in-game! Travel Safe, Farewell!

smack, Kaisa, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
  2. EnigmaWinz

EnigmaWinz Avatar

Welcome to the community and SOTA Carlos! I would have to say you are spot on with your feedback. I'll try to address everything as much as I'm able to for you being someone who's been into the game since kickstarter.

1. Number of characters - I don't know what the plans are for this, but I agree with you, I think it would be nice to have the option to use multiple characters if you want. I'm with you there.

2. Horses - These are actually planned. If you go to Stretch Goals you can see horses are one of the stretch goals along with others such as boats. You can also keep track of how close we are to each goal there. Having mounts will be awesome!!

3. FPS drop in crowded towns - You are correct in that there are opportunities to better the game there. Yesterday there was a live dev hangout in which they mentioned that some bad things made it into R13, including memory leaks etc. So look for that to be improved on in future releases.

4. Critters sound - What can I say other than I agree with you! The sounds are fairly decent but like you mentioned, are too often. A wolf doesn't need to make its sound with each time it attacks me. Makes for an annoying experience after a while. Great feedback on this one!

5. Combat - More than A LOT of people agree with you on this including myself! The devs will be looking for ways to improve on using the keyboard to create combos I'm sure. Rest assured the combat is a work in progress and most likely will be for quite some time! Feedback like you've given only helps and I'm sure the devs are paying attention to it. Reported bugs can be found here R13 Bugs There is a search bar in the top left of the page where you can use to search for already reported bugs. Keep in mind the bug forum pages are renamed and reset with each release in a manner that reflects which release we are currently on. Immolation does need improvement! My problem with it is that the spell puts off a lot of fire. .but the fire doesn't give off any light! Holding a torch with such a little flame gives off more light than immolation does.

6. Crafting - You bring up an interesting point here. The internet will always be there for some one who doesn't want to figure things out on their own in the game! I guess it depends on what the developers actually meant for the crafting/learning recipes to be like. I'm can't speak for that unfortunately.

7. World Map - If i'm not mistaken, there are plans to allow you to see other people on the world map. I'm not sure how they wish to accomplish this yet, but I know it's been mentioned and acknowledged by the devs previously.

8. The white light - I know exactly what you are talking about. They may include an option to disable that effect. . I'm not sure if it's been brought up before so great feedback on this one.

9. NPC conversation - This system is here to stay, but rest assured it is also one of those things the devs will always be making improvements for.

Sorry if i missed anything. I'm actually working. . but again awesome feedback, and welcome to SOTA!
    Also feel free to check out my SOTA videos on Twitch and youtube. I am a new streamer and I cover many aspects of the game including combat, crafting, and PVP (mostly how to get killed at the moment :p)
    Twitch
    YouTube
    I stream on Sundays at 5:30pm Est and I usually stream for at least 4 hours.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome!

mTrCarlos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.