Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

First time checking out the SOTA (My feedback)

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Whitestag, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Well I have to say I am one of the old ones in gaming spanning 35 years from the mudds in 1979, and my son spanning 26 years when I started programming games for him at 4/5 years old on the commodore. We both have pledges.

I hear some being very critical of the game. Just be aware you have the opportunity to see it created from square one, That is rare if not a developer. Some look at it as though its all fleshed out and this is the end result. Be aware you may never get the chance again to see this done from start to finish let alone be involved as you are in SOTA, unless your hand picked alpha or you manage to get into beta or still yet have to wait for the release.

All developed games will start with the base and work out, example is they want to get the attack of a bear right, they are not to concerned about what the bear looks like, once attack movement and pathfinding or roaming and aggro range, damage ect in place its a easy graphic and tweek for any mob animal after that.

Being a founder in whatever way was a act of trust to the developers based on their experience and vision. Also their openness to input from others to create a game that will stand the test of time, based on input from many, crowd funded and crowd sourced. They could have done it through a large publishing corporation, with investors or solo for that matter.

Point is, be constructive, although you have a good idea it may not work for other reasons and explaining that to a huge mass of people is time consuming although I see a great feedback on this in the developers question and answer thread.

I also have to give credit to the developers for seeing through opportunistic ideas that will in time ruin the game or make it a huge nitch type game within the game that the majority of players and backers did not invision.

---- Well with all that said I will give you my take on SOTA ----

1) Love the graphics and I hope also in time some of the glitches like trees flashing and invisible backed thin walls that when you get close to them you can see thru them will be fixed.

2) PVP - I think the system we have now is ok, it will just take some time getting used to. I played the first 6 years of UO and I had to laugh when I arrived on the isles in SOTA (wham) got nailed before I even had my glyphs up I managed to put him down to half live before I went down, I thought hmmm the ole sucker shot ploy and out I went again this time ready and what do I see, a warrior belly rolling over his easy kill with half life hmmmm }8} well I plugged him in the keister with a fire arrow and kept nailing him and down he went lol. Yes I think PVP will be fun.

3) I didn't get a chance to get any quests from the cities I couldn't seem to find them if they exist, I did manage to make it into the sewers and got all the stuff in there skulls and all was fun and the graphics were great.

4) I didn't see any meeting areas for stray or solo players to gather for groups etc so most of the time I was solo.

5) Crafting was nice and I think it will go fine, what's in place worked for me and it was very stable for me.

All and all I think its great progress and keep up the good work.

Jynx, SmokerKGB, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Welcome :) and thanks for the comments.

It is nice to hear comments (good and bad) of new people on SOTA.

Gaelis and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.