Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Frustrated with crashes.

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by silverserpent, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

The patcher is unable to update. It crashes. The game loads and runs if I run the executable and not through the installer, otherwise, crashes. I am starting the path of courage, offline, and the game crashes when I choose quit after saving the game. Though the save game seems intact when I play again.

With the minimum specs creeping upwards I think my specs are too low? I have a ASUS laptop with 16 gb ram, a 2.4 GHZ intel I7 and a Geforce GTX 765M vid card. I am using 64 bit Win10 Home ed. for OS.

Is there any help someone can give?

Thank-you

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  2. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Is peripheral lighting enabled? There was an announcement today that it causes issues if you don’t have a supported keyboard / mouse A since you’re on a laptop maybe that’s it?

Drivers upto date? Tried disabling active scanning on AV software, quitting any other open programs or unneeded stuff running in the background, etc?

Can also try enabling Win 7 compatibility mode on the .exe files you’re running.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

You need to complete the update otherwise the game won't run properly. There are two installers, one for Steam and a standalone one. Which are you using?

My laptop specs are similar to yours except mine has a GTX 860m.

Once you fully patch it, start at 1600x900 resolution to test your fps then gradually increase the settings.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Chatele like this.
  4. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

I'm using the stand-alone installer supplied by Portalarium. I found by experimenting that the installer works better if I run it as a administrator in Windows.
    I need to determine yet if the game still crashes on exit. I also noted in the crash log that besides sota.exe, both my internet security software and Unity were listed.

Numa, do you know anything about how to get my security software and sota to behave? Which file sota.exe or the installer or both should I add to the exceptions list in the
    security settings?

Thanks so much for your response.

5. Numa

Numa Avatar

Which security software are you using? Could you post an image or the text of the error message? The normal practice is to turn off your security or antivirus software to allow SOTA to update or install but with some security software it's not possible.

6. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

Update:

I have pretty much turned off all video options, running the game in fastest mode and also have tried using compatibility mode. So far the results are mixed.

As a reminder I am playing in offline mode.

At times the game stalls and maybe is due to something running as a background process. I noticed in the crash log that my Internet security suite and the Steam client were running so this is a promising start for a fix. The crash appears when I exit the game. As before I can save and re-play the character.

By the way, can someone tell me why I am greeted with a fresh install of the game after a patching so that I have to agree to the terms of service and then need to re-create a new character. Is this normal for a update????

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It might help if you say whether you are using Steam or the native Launcher.

8. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

Sorry, I am using the native launcher. Does anyone think a fresh re-install is in order?

9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I would say yes at this point.

10. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

Well I was able to avoid a re-install by simply ensuring that the SOTA executable and launcher were ADDED to my virus scanner exception list. Plus there appeared to be a patch today (April 3rd)
    maybe that helped. The game loads faster and I was able to save and exit without a crash. Time will tell if this works. My character is on the path of courage and I am having a blast with this game.

These go do this and that for me quests are slightly irritating i.e. go do it yourself! But I suppose the story opens up in layers as you progress. So I will patiently play.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have been experiencing a lot of crashing in 759 (Linux).

12. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

They are aware of crashing when quitting the client. If I am not mistaken there are core dumps in the client directory from the crashes.
    Please report the bug and add those core dumps or at least tell the devs you have the dumps on your disk if they want them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.