Fundraising suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satan Himself, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

As SotA approaches $5 million raised (now at $4.88 million), the devs should consider awarding something special to the pledger/add-on store buyer who pushes us past the $5 million mark, if that could somehow be tracked. Maybe $1000 store credit or something like that. I think particularly as we near $5 million, a lot of people would spend some extra money for a chance to win a prize and for the sheer pleasure of seeing SotA exceed this fundraising milestone.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It seems like there were just be a lot of upset people that failed to "time" it right. :)

Instead of giving out store credit to one lucky person. How about making a 6 million dollar stretch goal that goes to anyone that spends money between the 5 and 6 million dollar mark? Something like a unique item. This keeps people engaged in the process, even if maybe they hadn't planned to spend another dime.

Vyrin, Arianna, Net and 1 other person like this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I think people would understand that their odds of winning would be quite low. All in the spirit of building the game.

I like your idea too though.

4. Net

Net Avatar

It would be nice to give the person something special, however I would rather prefer 'Star Citizen' approach where they reward everyone who backed the game before the milestone with some small trinket.

That is another way to do it, but I would rather if they rewarded older backers all the same.

Arianna, Jatvardur, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think if Portalarium really wants to make some money, they should just start making cinematic videos using the in-game engine. I'm imagining a script that places the viewer in the shoes of someone that has to make choices and solve puzzles and fight monsters. A script that lets the viewer put themselves into the world of SOTA and imagine what they'd do. You could have one for the path of Virtue and one for the path of Chaos.

I know Star Citizen has the advantage of high production value, but seriously, gamers are suckers for movies. There has to be a way to leverage what SOTA has in a similar way.

The following video helped raise over 1.3 million dollars in a single day. It always makes me wonder if Chris Roberts is just going to make so many videos he can eventually buy the world and then declare he no longer needs to make a game - deal with it. :)

[​IMG]

Gabriel Nightshadow, Arianna and Net like this.
  6. Net

Net Avatar

Well, this time it was not just this video, it were brochures, whole CitizenCon and SC anniversary (2 years since the pledging started) and especially the sale of 890 JUMP.

Though other times it were mainly ads and ship variants that helped Star Citizen to make it pass some of the stretch goals. The best thing about those videos is that gaming sites post them, it is free advertising. Also you can pledge for ships from those commercials, it is really clever. SotA really needs something that gets attention of gaming sites so they will make news about SotA, so more players learn about the game and come here to pledge.

Unlike SC SotA is not about graphics, it is about game-play and it is harder to capture that in video...

Anyway, I think that in SotA case gameplay videos with stuff they are working on would be more fitting, soemthing like this:

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Actually, I like both Baron Drocis Fondorlatos and Net's ideas. Videos showcasing current gameplay developments as well as "Virtue" and "Chaos" videos (narrated by Lord British and Lord DarkStarr (possibly with the assistance of his High Priestess, Amber Raine) ;)) would certainly generate more interest in the game :D Of course, given their limited budget, I wouldn't expect them to be cinematic quality, but I'm sure they can come up with something that looks good o_O

Arianna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.