Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game Periodically Crashes

Discussion in 'Release 27 Bug Forum' started by Poor game design, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The game periodically crashes, no error message, the client simply disappears. When I log back in it allows me to resume the game as if I never left. It's happened three times in a row.

Xail and Moonshadow like this.
  2. kendaron

kendaron Avatar

I can confirm this happening to me frequently too.

3. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Had that today (approx. every 10 mins in instances) and my group-mates as well. Was disturbing because someone was always missing ;-)

4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Anything that seems to lead up to it? Doing any particular action? Trying to change scenes? Or just out of the blue, doing nothing at all, and it hits? Did it produce any error logs? The next time it occurs, try to copy your output log from your game's data directory and report if there are any stack traces inside. Or post it here. :) Are you playing on a Steam client by any chance?

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

1. Not playing on Steam.
    2. Originally it seemed to be happening out of the blue. However today it was definitely while changing scenes after long play sessions. As soon as I entered a new scene it would crash and the client would disappear. No message, no blue screen of death, no PC reboot, just POOF client gone, like I was never playing in the first place.
    3. Examples: Was in "Approaching the Temple of the Shuttered Eye" scene, made it to the tower and the moment I got to the door inside the tower to zone to the inside of the tower, POOF. I was in Owl's Head and the moment my screen began to fade to black as I exited the scene, POOF. I think this happened about 5 times today in total.
    4. I'll try to save a log next time it happens.
    5. Because I'm able to zone in and out of scenes without a problem (usually) even now, I suspect it's some kind of memory leak? Just a thought.
    6. Also, I do a ton of Alt-Tabbing. (fyi)

6. kendaron

kendaron Avatar

I don't want to muddy the water with BDF's response, but for me I do play with the Steam client and in windowed mode (64 bit windows 7). It happened while playing in game, and also crashed when I changed to another windows application and my avatar had been doing nothing for a few minutes. (I noticed the client disappear in the background) There did not appear to be any consistency.. I did get other crashes when 'zoning' as reported in other places, but they would popup a windows error.

7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Just to add to the thread, I had a crash on my last playsession on the scene change from crag foothills into the mines. No logs were created on my pc (last folders with crash logs are from 2015). The crash popup box had a message saying "Shroud of the Avatar.exe has stopped working"

Moonshadow likes this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

it seems to be happening to me in two cases, 1. as i approach the exit or 2. trying to force my avatar to target something other than what it keeps trying to, the harder i try, the more likely it seems to crash on me.

LadyGray likes this.
  9. Xail

Xail Avatar

It's happening to me too...I don't know why...I can not log in...

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Me too. I have not had any crashes in months, but now it's 5 to 10 times a day. Usually when exiting a scene after a long time playing within. Sometimes a window error, sometimes client just disappears with no message. Relog takes me back to the game, but a logging message always occurs at 50% "Waiting for character to leave scene", but I end up in the same scene right where I left. Windows 10, not using Steam.

11. Drocis the Devious

I just had it happen again on the new build. I was just standing around.

12. Rubus Bramble

Rubus Bramble Avatar

happen to me to Once i died and crashed before turning ghost and again just standing in port phoniex looking at vendor.

No reports just crashes to desktop

13. Attenwood

Thank you for reporting. The crashing issues being reported are known by the team and fixes are being investigated. Any additional details you are able to provide including post-crash output_log.txt files that are located within your game's directory, or additional details about actions that led up to the crash would help considerably. Thanks again.

14. Andel Rho

Andel Rho Avatar

@Attenwood
    Same issue, Game crashes within milliseconds of loading OR within the first several minutes of play. Moving the camera view around SEEMED to precede 4/10 times it froze for me.
    I put several of my Output_log.txt's in a dropbox link for the sake of combating clutter if this is a faux-pas I would be happy to post it as a reply. Also if I could offer any assistance moving forward, I would do so gladly.

PrePatch(2/29/2016):
    output_log.txt:
    (unknown situation from last night)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjkqtd5nyioizkx/output_log.txt?dl=0

output_log (2):
    (ran SOTA without Steam; loaded and froze immediately)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk63l5k1qtzwp3o/output_log (2).txt?dl=0

PostPatch:
    output_log (3):
    (ran SOTA with Steam; Updated 2/29/2016 11:32:31 PM, Patch=Roy-G-Biv-4; moved camera around continually while running; ~30-40 seconds before game froze)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/boi6962eh7gr9yn/output_log (3).txt?dl=0

output_log (4):
    (ran SOTA with Steam; 2/29/2016 11:41:33 PM, Patch=Roy-G-Biv-4; zero interaction with input devices; ~3-5 seconds before game froze)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wlzn51tdqmlzj2/output_log (4).txt?dl=0

output_log (5):
    (ran SOTA with Steam; 2/29/2016 11:53:27 PM, Patch=Roy-G-Biv-4; unable to fully load, froze at 100%)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/05rn1oq11qpr0ns/output_log (5).txt?dl=0

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  15. Attenwood

Have you considered conducting a clean install of the game? Additionally, would you be able to paste the information from using the /bug chat command in game as a response at the spot you're observing this issue occurring? This sounds different from the standard responses of crashing due to changing scenes.

16. Andel Rho

Andel Rho Avatar

@Attenwood
    I conducted a clean installation of SOTA yesterday around 8-9 PM.

(ran SOTA with Steam; 3/1/2016 12:02:24 AM, Patch=Roy-G-Biv-4; Equipping Avatars... 100% then froze)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sg0r50639i9ov9/output_log (6).txt?dl=0

5 attempts of putting /bug into the chatline, the 5th was succesful.

3/1/2016 12:16 AM
    Title: Performance: Client Freezes within minutes or seconds of logging on.
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Yes
    Details:Sometimes it freezes very quickly after loading the game other times I have several minutes before it freezes, but it does happen every time.
    User Specs: PC running Windows 7, 64 bit OS. Game version 27, recently upgraded to evga gtx 970 ssc, drivers are current. a re-installation was performed but did not resolve.

I'm having a difficult time ascertaining whether the problem is my rig or sotaR27 due to the fact that my new gpu installation coincided with sotaR27. All drivers are are current and have been cleanly installed within the past 24 hours.

CPU: AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2) System RAM: 12240
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4007
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.386.Date.02.28.16
    Area: Novia
    Loc: (-334.5, 11.6, -329.5)

Output_log.txt (7):
    Latest output_log from successful attempt to input /bug in chatline;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/och4ybbcxiqkctd/output_log (7).txt?dl=0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.