Game ran hoildays?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SinDee, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SinDee

SinDee Avatar

Hello agin friends! I was wondering if this was covered if there be holidays ingame events like of that in ultima ( Xmas gifts from staff and so on) I know the store had some and I missed out on ( I would love to get my hands on a LB cake!) But thought I ask here thanks!

2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

They were mentioning something about stars and holidays in the talks this morning, so maybe? But they didn't sound like they were sure what days the holidays would fall on. Like a mystery or something....:confused:

If you meant the add on and such, I'd like to think so. After all, they did have the evil bunny visiting recently.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If there's one thing I don't want in my game.. is Portalarium running gimmicky real world holidays. Let there be New Britannia holidays galore! But please.. leave Earth holidays out of it.

And the Easter bunny is evil!

FrostII likes this.
  4. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Yeah I agree. In-game lore based holidays is always what I'd lean toward. The X-mas trees are called something else, but a Hanukkah Menorah is already in the game, and while I have nothing but good things to say about those that celebrate Hanukkah & X-mas, it opens up a can of worms, for every Earth holiday to exist, and the Earth holidays missed to be protested until they too are in the game. Aside from that, it detracts a bit from the immersion into a world that's supposed to be a great break and relief from the real world. With no stresses on Portalarium employees to do any great programming or custom work for X-mas etc, there are many benefits from having in-game lore based holidays that don't align with earth holidays, and don't too closely resemble them. I celebrate St. Patrick's day every year but I don't like to be drawn away from the actual St. Patrick's day to be compelled to celebrate it in a game to get a special St. Patrick's day item, because I'd rather be in the real world on that day, I could go on and on. Other games have successfully incorporated other worldly holidays not attached to earthly schedules and I'd be cool to see that here.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Until Portalarium does something official with in-game holidays.. and it sounds like they still might.. I plan on simply promoting ideas we came up with last year. The up coming Soldier's Memorial Ball is one such occasion as is my next big event project.

It is somewhat reasonable that Outlanders from Earth would want to celebrate their own holidays. I don't have an issue with that.. the problem I have is the developers making a huge deal and throwing Earth themed holiday presents at everyone. Few things scream "You're playing a G-A-M-E" like large scale free goodies magically appearing in your inventory.. especially items that don't make any sense to be there in the first place.

If people want their "yule" hats and bunny ears then make them craftable and have NPC dialogue where people go "great.. another outlander" whenever someone goes by wearing them. Though I personally shudder at people running around with such things year around just cause they think it's funny or something.

SinDee likes this.
  6. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

While you have the right to your opinion, I figure I will give mine. Ultima online was so much fun with having actual holiday events. They were done with taste. I for one hope they add in Christmas (NOT X-mas btw) and other holidays. It is fun to collect rares from holidays past. AND to display them. So while some of you who take the extreme Rp stand, I for one see no reason we can not have these in game. Not everyone will be a heavy Rp player, myself included. I bought into this game because I LOVED UO. And it catered to all types of players role players and non role players alike.
    I think there is enough room in the game to support all sides of the coin :)

Lord Baldrith and SinDee like this.
  7. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

There will of course be both. Christmas and other holidays will naturally be celebrated with in game nods/events and addon store items as the bulk of customers do celebrate and enjoy them, regardless of perceived controversies. At the same time, there is sure to be lore base holidays that we all can get into.

Lord Baldrith and SinDee like this.
  8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Bowen. Bowen, Bowen, Bowen. Just keep putting on that Santa hat, look in the mirror, and say "Doggonit, I really DO love holiday-themed pixels!"

Can't wait to see you in your Uncle Sam costume on Independence Day. Or do I have the wrong country.

Holiday swag = fun and a money generator for the game. Please give us lots of it.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think we all know that'll never happen.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Bowen, I've always wondered about your avatar picture. Is that you? Looks like you're in battle!

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That is me during a show at a ren faire.. though not during a fight... I was probably watching one though. I only look grumpy cause the sun was out and it was in the 90s I think. :)

Budner likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yes I meant temperature. I'm grateful I could never afford plate.. and I had to make my chain shirt myself.. there was a time I could tell you just how many rings are in that darn thing. lol I'm a little glad I can't remember now as that's how many rings I had to sit there open.. close.. open.. close.. open.. close.. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.