Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game Ruining Zoom

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Maxe, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

Following is my main concern about SotA, I'll save my long list of minor suggestions for later releases, as they'll probably be corrected by then anyway.

I'm the type of player who always zooms out to the maximum distance in MMOs. Every MMO player I know irl does the same. Some do it primarily for a better strategic overview, but for me it's more than that.
    In other words: I simply can't stand 1st person view or anything that resembles it!! - it's seriously claustrophobic and completely ruins immersion for me.
    Running around in a dungeon completely disorientated and doubling back 10 times cause you're auto-zoomed in to a point where even the best spatial intelligence is rendered useless.
    Fighting a lich and only being able to see it's feet, desperately trying to adjust the camera to see it's health bar or where your toon is compared to everything else.
    Attending the major dance-a-thon at The Tavern, again having immersion ruined frustratingly much cause I'm not really looking at my avatar as a part of a bigger picture - I'm just seeing 4 people out of 50, or a table, or a stairway, or 100 different ways the camera can hang on the walls/interior when turning my perspective.
    For the love of all the virtues - NO! to this forced almost-1st-person zoom in all indoor scenery!
    Is it possible to implement a semi-isometric type of view, which we have an option to autotrigger whenever we're "indoors"?

On a sidenote, all other graphics are much better than I would ever hope to expect!

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I would love it if the same had a smaller scale too. I don't hate it currently, but I do appreciate having the ability to see more and not less. That said, the inside of houses and dungeons are small, probably too small for what you (and I to some extent) would like to see. The game would probably have to be almost 2D to afford the type of scale I believe you're talking about. That would be a major change in the architecture of this game, wouldn't it?

docdoom77 and Maxe like this.
  3. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

Yea I'm not seeing it being better with a full "2D" isometric view :p - I like the current 3D environment just not in the before mentioned areas.

I don't know enough about programming etc to deliver a great solution, but something must be able to be done relatively easy.
    Maybe redesigning all dungeons to have a little more vertical space and implementing an invis ceiling option in houses.

4. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Similar discussion transpiring over here.

Maxe likes this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

You guys are too funny...You can do all that now, just zoom out (using the mouse whl or pgup/pgdwn) and you're done. Zoom in when you enter a building... Walk don't run in tight places...

6. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

To the OP what games (mmo) actually give that kind of (fallout 1 Baldurs gate) zoom to the player?, I mean most of the mmo I play like gw2, secret world, Lotro, and STO have a good zoom but nothing much more than Sota!, Path of exile is isometric why not play that cause they cant change sota that much I doubt, All the buildings roofs would have to come off etc, and all dungeons would be ala fallout etc, Not the way this game is going, I think if you have then you have sunk your money in the wrong game and should have backed Planescape Tides of Numenera.

7. Sierra

Sierra Avatar

No problems with the zoom. I think it can be improved though, especially a transparency plane should be implemented for trees as they are a problem if they get in between character and viewer. It would be nice if they get slowly transparent the closer they are to the camera.

ShrineSeeker, Maxe and Mata like this.
  8. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Zooming could use some love for sure in some interior spaces, but game-ruining? I've been through worse in games that I quite enjoyed. If it's an easy thing to fix, I'd love to see the issue addressed, but well, priorities, k? Make things work first, then make things perfect. (Build first, optimize with remaining resources.) I'm confident we'll see the camera issue addressed. Just don't get all up in a tizzy if we go quite a few releases before that happens. :D

9. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

I reckon all MMOs I've played had better zoom options. Primarily because things were designed with that in mind (wider/taller paths in dungeons/cities etc) . I'm a bit afraid that this forced zoom was implemented in SotA, because devs think that it gives players a better feeling of immersion, and I felt that I had to state that it's the opposite for some players.
    I wouldn't mind invis roofs.

Blocker then? :p ..no seriously, I know those were harsh words, but it will in fact be kinda game ruining for me, if both being in dungeons and being in houses is so annyoing that it forces me to stay away from those aspects of the game.
    I'm not in a rush - *refers to answer above* just afraid that they might think they did the right thing here and will never address it - when it's the wrong thing for some players (which might be a ridiculously small minority of zoom claustrophobic weirdos like me, who knows)

Sunsanvil likes this.
  10. Avatar Aiden

I agree. Walking through trees was very frustrating. Having trees go transparent is a good idea. Also walls or ceilings in certain situations so I can see my avatar.

Sunsanvil likes this.
  11. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Yeah, I am with you on the zoom in the enclosed areas. I've had no problem while outdoors or in large open areas, but as soon as I go in a dungeon or a cave, it's zoom city. It's times like that when an isometric view would be nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.