Gaming company banned from Steam for manipulating reviews

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

What an idiot move by the exec. Both requiring the entire team to purchase the game and review with a thinly veiled threat... and sending it in a group email too.

Wonder if the person who also leaked that email will be sad that they basically shot their own job too. Losing that distribution platform is harsh.

I think you're in the wrong forum here though.

Fire Lotus Tavern
    Your place to share RP stories, Fan Fiction and discuss the Lore in Shroud of the Avatar. And be sure to check out the game room, a place where you can chat about the other games you play until Shroud launches!

Free publicity though! Though the trailer did not inspire me to look further into it.

3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

There are other games besides SOTA that matter? :rolleyes:

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

What interested me about this was that employees of a development company and their publisher have to buy their own game. Giving the game to employees seems like a drop in the bucket cost compared to other advertising budget needs. Kinda like other businesses buying shirts with the company logo.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. Corv

Corv Avatar

It will hit all the employees the hardest. If the company can't sell on steam they will not make enough money and have to let people go. Stupid move by Steam. Make it public, but don't kill the company. That is one reason why I hated steam from the start. it's a monopoly (almost)

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Never been a real fan of Steam, myself. *shrugs*

7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Games given by the company do not affect the steam rating. That’s why they were reimbursing their employees for the purchase, only the purchases through steam going for the front-facing rating.

For instance I purchased via the SotA website. I later linked to steam and rated the game on steam, but my review does not affect the official steam rating because I didn’t purchase through steam.

This prevents a company giving free games to people in exchange for positive reviews. A company would actually have to pay via steam to do this instead of paying themselves.

This is a relatively new thing on steam I believe within the last year or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.