Gems, what do they do?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Dorham Isycle, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

What do they do exactly or even approximately.
    What does +10 Air do for an archer?
    What does +10 Earth do for a Swordsman.
    etc. etc

Does Attunement only effect magicians?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops:~Jewelry, Gems and Gold Market Value~ (what they could do in the future?)
    I just hope they can retain a value when unused as a skill enhancer. I can see when a gam is used on a sward or has some magical property that it could loose it's value and suffer decay. But in jewelry that has no magical skill value, I'd like to see these gams be not only reusable into more elaborate jewelry, but also could enter the magical market to be re-used into magical things. But that those magical things do suffer heavily from decay, but also have great combat value while they last.

Gems in Magic should = Great Decay and = great power...
    Gems in non-magical jewelry, should be the same as a walking bank account because they then would retain their future value, if crafted/recycled back into a weapon or magical jewelry... which would then suffer from decay.

:rolleyes: In this way, a Player or Warlord could retain their Gems, which could at any time be re-fashioned into powerful weapons and magic, becoming depleted during a war, hunting or more power through a questing action.

Gems should = Power until their power is used for their magic o_O
    Not exactly what you were talking about but... :)
    BTW, our economy is next...
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Attunement effects not just your potency with spells, but your natural resistance to magic. If you have a high attunement with life for example.. positive life spells will benefit you more and negative ones will hurt you less. Regardless of who casts those spells.. Just be always aware though that increasing on school's attunement means decreasing another by 1/2 the same amount. 100 life is -50 Death.. so negative death spells will hurt that much more and positive will help that much less.

It should not matter if you're a mage or not. At least this is my understanding according to the skill descriptions.

Katrina Bekers and Time Lord like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yes magic attunement only, been covered.

Here Is what they do, nothing to read into or interpret
    [​IMG]

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Not what he is asking he want the gems to add like they did before Fire damage, Air Damage . . . . they do not do this anymore they affect Attunement ONLY, which yes affects spells negatively AND positively.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. agra

agra Avatar

If you cast life magic and have +20 or +30 life attunement from your equipment, your life spell will be more effective.
    You can see how much more effective by equipping the gear with the life attunement and then examining the life spell before and after.

However, if you only use blades, bludgeon, ranged, shields, etc, and never use anything from the magic trees ( earth, air, life, death, sun, moon, fire, water) then attunement provides very little benefit.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

But it can provide resistances.. if you fight a lot of undead for example.. having a high death attunement on gear means death spells from liches and such will hurt less. Or sorcery vs fire spells etc.

8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Well then from all this there needs to be a physical attunement for each physical attack type.

*edit
    air (dex) makes you faster
    Earth (str) makes you hit harder
    Water (int ) makes you hit smarter (more critical chance )
    Those are all physical attributes

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Mata and Time Lord like this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

uh no there doesn't

but some skills innates related to each one could add a boost to Dex, Str and Int,, wait there already are :)

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

So what you're saying is that platemail, chainmail can be socketed with Gems that are solely used for magicians & you see nothing wrong with that.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So, you use potions to heal?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Wow speedy I never said it was right, I answered your question, you want to debate the correctness of it feel free.

I have repeated a few times that Armor and weapons should not have magical properties like focus and stuff And should be more aligned with defense and offense but sine you where talking about attunement that was what I answered.

And along those line yeah there could be items set in that can be used for attack speed / damage / def BUT they are not here now and NOT what you asked about.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I opened with asking if it did something for non magic users, you& others said No.
    I suggested things that could be added, You said it didn't need it so apparently you agree with the current use of it.

Now your being a Grumpy Wienie, All seems right with the world Except:oops: that there is room for Gems or another doodad that works for Melee

Time Lord and Weins201 like this.
  14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yeah I think they could add some special rocks or something < yeah I am grumpie LoL

It would be nice to have something that just add to Dmg, or Crits, but I thkn they are leaving them in the skills tree and you can use some ot the innnates in different trees and get a boot thru attunement with them

Earth - Str
    Wind - Dex
    . . . . .

Time Lord and Dorham Isycle like this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops:~Our Construction Zone~

We are still far from being complete with many things being knocked around and still room for ideas and improvements. Even when we go 24/7, it's still not a game fully developed, yet does now resemble a game. There's always room for ideas, wishes and problem solving that need to occur and then be realized and tested within our game. I'm very surprised we haven't seen too many things that have been invented, tried and then backed out of our game, never to return.

Nothing is stone here, it's still, very much only uncooked sausage... o_O
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~;)

Mata and Dorham Isycle like this.
  16. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

When I saw there were gems I got super excited about the possibilities. Then I started mining them and found their value to be on par with a cold fish.

I mean come on, gems are the classic wealth commodity. Its depressing to see them no more valuable than rough cut granite. What's a merchant like me to trade? How does one transfer large sums of wealth, always hauling the same huge bags of gold?

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes:~Gems Should Be Gems!~
    "I strongly believe this!" @Favonius Cornelius !

I am a Gem Collector as a hobby in real life and "they all have real value" o_O Gold in Jewelry should also retain it's value.

:eek:~Real Life Asia~:oops:
    Here in Thailand, there is a "very active" local gold trade in the form of collecting it in jewelry...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes: There's one or more gold stores in every city in Thailand and they are always quite busy, because the Thai people save, invest and trade gold as real money or family wealth.
    The Gem markets here in Thailand are also an active place, though skill in identifying their value is needed to participate as a meaningful investment. Here in Asia, "if you are rich and educated, then your interests jump from Gold to Gems as an investment". Just as in Gold, there are Gem Shops everywhere buying and selling Gems, even in the smallest of cities ...
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:~Marketing Fun is Where You Make It~
    Our game could have such fun within it's economy, all it takes is having decay effect those gems and gold used in magical weapons and magical jewelry and also have them non-recyclable. Other forms of jewelry or non-magical ornate weapons, could retain their gold and gem value because the magic contained within those gems has not been expended or used in any magical way or use. They could gain in NPC market and magical value the longer they are kept in non-magical jewelry and weapons, developing an affinity for that same quality they are made into. There are many easy possibilities o_O

:eek:~Gold & Gem Sumps~:confused:
    Within any online economy there is always a need for gold sumps that insure there's not too much gold in the world, thus gems, in the way described above, would also have their own value sump by way of magical use decay. Such things are necessary to insure that gem & gold prices retain a value... or else gold gets cheap as dirt and gems become just another recyclable magic reg o_O which would have no retained value, only retained use. Retaining usage of Gems without such a decay system for their magical properties just fills the world with them without any exit... thus driving down any retained value of them.

:)~Fashioned Jewelry More Valuable than Gold & Gems~:D
    When Gold and Gems are bought and sold here in Asia, it's most likely form is in some form of fashioned jewelry, and carries a higher value because of it's craftsmanship.

:rolleyes:~Non-Magical Jewelry Investments and How This Could Fit into Our Game~:oops:
    I have seen no post anywhere by any of our game creators that mentions "investment of valuables for the purposes of future increased value"... unless it's in rare items, and a player must be interested in rare items to value them, and that value can wildly fluctuate depending on who the player buys that object from. "Yet there is no Rare Sump!" which just results in the online world filling up with crap or stuff that never goes away and just continues to pile up without end o_O Such markets are similar to art markets in real life, and the only reason some gets lost, is by someone throwing it away, or in our case, discontinuing there account and allowing it to disappear o_O Here's one of the problems of our game with rares, is that our game is not a "monthly payment game" and our accounts last :eek: "forever!" So unless it's a discontinued product, it's value is far less as time marches on.

:oops:~Possibilities~
    Gems and Jewelry should gain an investment value even more in our game the more you wear them (added value modifier?). Famous things are those things that have gained their value by their fame. How many movies have we seen where the pirate or adventurer takes off their ring and uses it as a last resort of needed cash to pay for something? o_O In this way, Gems & Gold used within non-magical jewelry could have a rising value on our NPC and player markets. Sure you may have paid more for that gem, or more for that gold used within your newly created jewelry masterpiece, yet wear it enough or keep it for a long time, and it's value could then increase slowly to regain and even surpass it's original value on the NPC or player market. There magical value could increase over time, providing the non-magical jewelry a useful purpose to be retained in non-magical jewelry... Jewelry I might add that has no meaningful re-sale value without such a system. All it would take within the programing, is to have a time stamp. The older the time stamp, the more value all the things that went into making that piece of jewelry have gained, including the possibility of added magical value within that gem when recycled into a magical piece of jewelry or weapon.

:oops:~Magic Uses Things Up~
    Magic should be the gold sump of gems and jewelry should be a monetary and magical investment for the future...
    Or... our non-magical jewelry is just a shiny non-valuable thing :(

When is a Ruby not a Ruby? o_O
    [​IMG]
    Some Players don't collect, or even wear non-magical jewelry... this would give wearing it or having it meaningful purpose!
    Any other thoughts, comment or suggestions out there?
    "Well Invited Indeed!"
    :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  18. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I remember back in UO I had this bag full of a ridiculous number of gems and jewelry. Was nice to look at, I think the world lagged if I moved it heh.

Xarras, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  19. Epiphany

Epiphany Avatar

The irony for me is that IRL my father is an amazing goldsmith and I have a lot of beautiful jewelry he has made for me .. and I don't really wear any jewelry except occasionally a ring or necklace. LOL :oops:

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~SOTA, The Way of the Gem Collector~:)
    I'm the same way :D
    I use my GF as a display for them, but she doesn't wear them much because she doesn't want to appear anything but normal, or not to draw attention to herself because she's so shy :p

I am a historian of astrology who has studied what there was and is within it's craft. The alchemy practices within astrology, I'm hoping some day to incorporate within our SOTA...

The thought within the game is, to have a lens focusing device where the player must wait for each planet to pass a certain position in the sky and then be able to enhance that quality of the targeted planet into the gem. In this way, we could then deepen our game's connection to our planetary surroundings. A player could wait until a number of planets will be all in line with each other and thereby be able to capture multiple enhancements by knowing what time to wait for before enhancing the raw or cut gem.

This would also open the possibility, whereby that gem's enhanced quality would increase or decrease in it's power depending on the passing planets after it's creation. This may cause the player to save the weapon or crafted item which retains the gem in a socket until it best time to become then used.

In other words, "I'd like to see gems and their owners to have a deepening game from knowing their in game gem ways".

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Acred and Epiphany like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.