General Magic?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Isaiah, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't know if this has been mentioned in another thread or not, or if the devs ever mentioned this either? I was wondering if there would be some general magic that any school of spell caster can learn. If not I hope it is added at some date.

What I'm referring to is non-combat, and non elemental focused magic. Stuff like teleportations, summoning players, rituals, divination, ... stuff like that. Maybe even something where we can type in the words of power and apply the reagents to it, and our caster level can be determined by our highest level of any one of the schools of magic, and maybe even boosted if we master more than one school of magic. Spells that we can just use by the words of power, and not something we nessisarily put skill points directly into (except that we must have skill points in at least one spell casting school).

Anybody know if the devs mentioned anything about this?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think that all magic belongs to general magic use, but people naturally categorize things, so those who study the arcane arts specialize in one area over another, just like one person may specialize in geology, while another person might specialize in microbiology, but they are both scientific fields of study.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So far I only see healing, buff, and offensive spells. Those are all combat related. I understand they won't have a create food, but they have mentioned teleportation magic, but it won't teleport us to places we haven't traveled to yet (I talked to Lord British in game regarding that, so that came from his mouth so to speak). So there are going to be some spells that have not been defined yet, or isn't apart of the combat magic, or they are going to stick them in with the other spells.

However I don't want to spend "combat" skill points on non-combat related skills. That's why I was hoping for some kind of way of learning standard utility spells and spell rituals that can be learned by any magic user regardless if they focus on fire & air magic only.

If they do want to put these utility spells under a particular school, like Air magic for spells like teleport to your home, or summon your party, let them not require combat skill points for those individual spells. Let them be like a crafting recipe. That way we can discover them by trial and error. Also long as you know the words of power, have the right reagents, have enough magic skill, and focus you should be able to cast them. That is why I think those spells shouldn't be apart of a particular school like the combat spells are, but rather let them be universal to all magic users.

Lord Baldrith and rune_74 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.