General question about resource nodes

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Aldo, Dec 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am a solo player, so all the adventure scenes I visit are private. My question is this.. When out gathering resources like ore and wood, frequently half to all of the nodes are not there. Tree stumps and missing ore nodes all over the place. These nodes are very slow to regenerate. I can spend an hour going round the scene, killing mobs and searching for resources. Today I went into a T 8 + scene which usually has a lot of wood, but almost all the harvestable trees were just stumps and they never regenerated. What causes this? Is it some kind of RNG thing? Or is the private scene affected by play of others? Is the dearth of resource due to that scene already over some preset limit ? What do you think?

FrostII likes this.
  2. Toular

Toular Avatar

It's random. Any given node has some chance to be harvestable when the scene is generated. Als0 each node has a chance to respawn with some period of time. Back when I played offline exclusively I did see a tree that I *just* harvested respawn just a minute later. Same thing with an ore node. I have also seen that happen online.

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Well, yes. I see that all the time too. That's how I expect it to work. But when I enter a scene with stumps all over the place which are extremely slow to germinate and ore nodes not where they should be it is obvious that this is not the normal mechanic, or at least I assume. Perhaps you are right that RNG determines how many nodes will be available when you enter and that limit applies for your time there. I hope this is not the case, because that is just wrong. They don't operate Mobs like that.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Are you just trying to find an area that provides a good output of wood gathered per hour?

5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

No, I have no problem there. Just wondering why when I enter even the best zone, sometimes at least half of the nodes are already harvested and take forever to renew. Just curious is all. I always thought that in Private mode (solo) each time you entered a zone you were in a new instance. What determines the status of nodes in a new instance?

craftymethod and FrostII like this.
  6. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

node farming is part of meta raze and burn loot/kill/clear everything gameplay which completely sucks when you are trying to avoid such run search smash gameplay.

UO did it best and was actually fun and you could at least do those activities in small part in almost any scene. Such gameplay meshing into instanced and lonley scenes would have been such a benefit to roleplaying and being a good home body town citizen. A little ore from some rocks, a little wood for crafting. IN ONE SCENE

Forcing people to leave the scene just exacerbates scene lonliness.

And my thoughts are why not scale down mat return rate to quite low when keeping things to one scene. Cost of not going far but still keep benefit of scene activity.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.