Ghost Powers

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by jondavis, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Of course you'd have to train or level up your skills like in any other well ballanced game. That pretty much goes without saying, but the more time you spend dead the better you should be at it. Maybe eventually you'd get so good at it you'd see no reason or benefit in going back to the "world of the living". It is a "fantasy" game after all, if you can be a magical wizard I see no reason you couldn't be a ghost too.

*Think of the roll-playing hooks too. Vengful Spirit, Quest left undone, Guardian sworn to protect a place or thing, Broken hearted lover, Sad and lost, Prankster. The possibilitys are endless.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Presumably the ritual would involve protecting the body from such things.

I rather prefer the astral projection or claravoiance (sp?) myself if we're talking something players will do at will. Death should be painful enough to discourage players from wanting to become a ghost to gain some kind of advantage like safely scouting ahead or acting as a spy. Unless someone wants to RP as a ghost there shouldn't be any convenience about being one that outweights the penalties of getting killed. Death should not be taken so lightly.

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I whole heartedly agree with you Bowen. Let the gypsy magic handle the projection and claravoiance not the ghost form. I'd rather see some kind of penalty for staying dead too long so that people use astral projection spells instead.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Dang is that dev+? Oh well.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm afraid it is. There are a lot of great discussions in Dev+ that quite frankly could have (and probably should have) been in the public areas. I'm guilty of starting a couple myself where now I wish they were in the public space. In fact I think almost off of it should be moved since it's only us players putting forth ideas and discussing.. those posts are really no different than what we do in public. Hopefully we'll have more Dev directed topics there soon.

BillRoy likes this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I agree with the abuse of "ghost spying" being poor sportsmanship and there should be some kind of restrictions in place like not being able to explore freely or deviate from the path between your body and rez point and not using text (and voice if possible) chat. But like a lot of other games being transported immediatly to the rez point would fix abuse of ghost powers.

Maybe something like temporary or permanant stat degeneration. Maybe make an acception for "young" players, though.

* When I first played UO (my wife introduced me to it, she had played before we met) my wife took me around and showed me the basics and helped me get started, I had never played a computer game at this point or been on-line, with her I was safe and in no danger of dieing so she didn't say much about it or I didn't remember. On my second day I logged on (while she was at work) and almost immediatly got killed and spent hours wandering in search of my body fluctuating between rage and despair, when she got home she immediatly found my body tangled up in some bushes, and I was sure that I hated this POS game, but it got better.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I rather like the idea of increased death penalty the longer you spend as a ghost. Granted I think there should be a grace period before those penalties start kicking in and a maximum cap.. but this would encourage players to get resurrected as quickly as possible.

That said I don't think there should be natural restrictions on movement... BUT.. what about magical wards to keep spirits away? These could act as one way barriers. The potential abuse would be trapping a ghost by forming multiple barriers which you shouldn't be able to do but one or two solutions may be to nullify such barriers if they enclose a space (ie prevent proper pathfinding out of an instance) or limit them to buildings.. the basic intention here is to give players a means to keep unwanted ghosts out of private locations.

This could be achieve both through spells and through tokens (ie special wind chimes, statuettes etc). Ghosts should be able to move freely.. walk through walls etc.. but players should also have a mechanism to keep them out.

jondavis and BillRoy like this.
  10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I like the ward thing, especially on homes, inn rooms, banks and guild halls (assuming it's a UO style set up), maybe buying the ward items cheaply from NPC vendors and having them be craftables, maybe a carrieable lucky charm/mojo bag type thing you could put in your back pack that would make you un-detectable by ghosts too.

11. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I like the idea of keeping ghosts out of places but how would you prevent walls put up so the ghost can't get to back his body?
    I'm thinking ghosts should have more power when close to their body, even able to possess creatures around them.
    Mostly so you can clear the area so you can get back to your body.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I liked the post that talked about ghosts not being able to see the monsters and stuff in the next hallway. However I think they should be able to see players and healers so they can be ressurected on the spot. Or I guess they could only be ressurected if somebody casts ressurection or did some kind of ressurection healing skill on the corpse instead of the player.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

First I don't recall there being any official word that we have to get back to the body to be rezzed.. BUT.. what you do is compare pathfinding in the instance you're in. If barriers prevent a path from being found either to the body or do an exit then ghost wins.

14. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

^
    This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.