Global auction/market search discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by golruul, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's something for people with enough time.
    Vendors are the fire and forget option for lazy d00ds like me.

Astirian and Elwyn like this.
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

If you want a search bar do it like this:

Enter a town, talk to the town cryer or click some bulletin board or whatever to open the search panel, that panel will search trough vendor of the current town. You write an item in it, and a list of location of vendor that sell it are shown, you can click one and find it easier. No price shown. Still have to walk a bit but less than checking all the hundreds vendor the town have.

But then again, with this limited tool, people can know exactly how many item are being sold around the world pretty faster than before, and adjust their price accordingly to nothing. If i know a warlock chain is worth around 150k for a +1, and i see 30 vendor in the town sell it, then ill drop my price by 50k just to sell it before everyone else, so will the other, and price war goes on.

Imagine if all the real vendor in this world had a price list or knew exactly those data, wouldnt they use it at their advantage to beat the competition? I worked in a grocery for 10 year, i saw other director of grocery come and take picture of prices of items in the shop with their cell phone just to try and manipulate the market of those items. They then get a deal so they can sell lower, publish it, and we dont sell any of those for a whole week til the promotion is down. It happens every day in real life, its even easier in game. The only real wall is, they have to move around.

3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

The price can't be tanked to nothing generally if there is demand. The price would be always tied to the number of time I need to grind by xxx level character to get it. Check the price for ore, it didn't significantly drop below some numbers for a long time - its a good example. But it only works if rules of game are unbeatable and GMs punish the guys who break the rules.

Beralith, Synergy Blaize and Amelli like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I agree with that but price wars aren't necessarily a abd thing.

Well. Two words: regional pricing. I get your point but that's an terrible example ^^

5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Regional pricing is a thing in real life, but not in game. It take a few second to switch town. 1 hour of your time you can probably visit most major town in the game and have a nice list of prices. 1 hour in real life you visit 3-4 shop in the same town only ;p

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Use amazon. Switch your IP from country to country. I bet in one hour you can have the pricing of most of the world ;-)
    But I concede your point ^^

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its actually been helpful because I can be like "Hey I got 10 beetles who wants to buy" and everyone in game can see it at once, just makes it more likely I can sell my stuff.

When I need something like imbued regeneration potions, or cabalist weaposn to salvage its a major pain having to go door to door, and it just makes me hope somone will advertise what im looking for in trade chat.

a town-wide search function would still make me have to at least go town to town, but would also put that "fire and forget" mechanism to better use as your vendor would get a lot more visibility, the only downside to the seller is that you would have to compete with people, which is not bad for consumables.

I don't know about the equipment market tho. Undercutting and price wars are fantastic for stuff that get consumed and purchased regularly, but gear in this game moves slowly. daaaaaamn slowly. So im not sure how exactly it would be affected

8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

As someone that gamed the markets in other games extensively, it's quite simple. Find vendors, buy stuff, resell it at a higher markup. It's best to focus on just a few things and OWN the market for these - meaning buy ALL of the supply in the game and sell it at the price you set. Your database or auction house for vendors just made my job a hell of a lot easier. It's that simple.

If you want to compete in that reality, better pick the stuff you're gonna monopolize NOW.

If this is implemented I WILL QUIT. Immediately. I won't sell any of my stuff. I will just quit. I don't say this easily but I have said it in the past regarding this same suggestion.

Spoon and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Just to sumemrize my issue with shopping, some way just to find the THING im after without having to go door to door, and to also have people competing with each other over the sale of that thing.

Is why i'd like a search function. Don't even really care if a price is shown or not, just wanna be able to find the stuff

Astirian likes this.
  10. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Price comparison sites on the internet.
    My grocer giving me a voucher for the difference on my next shop because the same items were cheaper from a different grocer (I did nothing for this to happen).

Regional pricing is not really a thing in real life either. Welcome the to free market competition.

Regards
    Spung

11. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

You are welcome to try. But with a global search and seeing you do it. I would just undercut you a small amount. People try this in Eve all the time, well new traders do. I'm a hoarder, have huge supplies of a lot of stuff and know many others that are the same.
    I would profit off you by you by if you mark up 20 percent, I start selling something I never sold before because you just made it worthwhile to sell my stockpile. Then rebuy it back on buy orders over time when the market readjusts back.

Regards
    Spung

MANTACO, Ampevelyn, Beralith and 4 others like this.
  12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Edit to add, I would just buy all your stuff repeatedly, at any price, just to shut you down. Then it becomes a battle of will. I've seen it and done it before.

All that is a game I WILL NOT play.

13. oplek

oplek Avatar

That's why I think people are barking up the wrong tree. The car isn't running because it's out of gas, and the problem is asserted to be that I want to drive somewhere. The issue isn't that customers are successfully finding their desired goods too easily. The problem is:
    • Lack of regional economy.
    • Masterworking training and failures flooding the market with crap.
    • Telethon rewards saturating the market.
    • The inability to actually lose items and need to replace them.
    Only in this bizarro up-is-down yes-means-no opposite world, would having customers find goods be considered a bad thing. Like Walmart barricading themselves against customers at the door as though they're some kind of zombie invasion that must be fended off.

Elrond, MANTACO, Beralith and 4 others like this.
  14. oplek

oplek Avatar

I already largely do not participate in the market. I have everything I could ever need, and I can't find what I want, even when I want something. So I make it myself.

.. then people complain about the lack of an economy, and wonder why.

MANTACO likes this.
  15. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

So the question would be, do you have enough gold to do that, would others see the manipulation and you have to buy all their stockpiles too.
    If my stockpile is 2 months volume of global sells, you now have to compete with gathers who will see the price increase and change there play time to gathering this now more lucrative commodity.

And this in itself would get me from being a hoarder into playing the markets.
    This is an entire play style in Eve. There are people that do nothing but this. This is market PvP at its most fun.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I miss it. Need to fire eve up again as it seems ^^

17. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

But that's great if I'm a seller too, you become the market yourself rather than controlling the market. I'd always be able to sell to you.

MANTACO and Astirian like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'll just point out one thing and head back off to do other things.

If you remove the purpose of physical shops then you've removed a large portion of the interactivity of housing.

Yes, deco is fun, but it is one directional. I decorate, you look at it and maybe use, but there is no change for the decorator, so it is not interactive.

Shops: I list something, you come by and buy or not depending on what I've done, I relist or don't according to sales.

Without shopkeeping you have crafting (which can be done almost anywhere) and agriculture that are the interactive parts of home ownership.

Interactivity: I do something, the server does something, I respond to what it did.

(Yes, ideally we could have I do something, you do something, I do something as a response, but systems don't support that well yet except in very specific "we're decorating together" moments.)

So, killing the purpose of vendors will kill a large portion of the interactivity of housing, and if you thought we had a ghost town problem before you ain't seen nothin yet.

Gravidy, Spoon, Scanphor and 6 others like this.
  19. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Avatar

If this is true then the problem is not with the global search...the problem lies with the way the economy is built ..and its something that the devs will need to fix to ensure supply and demand works as it should.

The way i see it so far ...people are against a vendor search because they fear prices going down , theyre goods not having the same value as it has today or they will not be able to control certain market areas anymore ... And they should ..they know something is wrong with the way goods are priced/bought/sold ...and they like it this way.

That would be great for the gold value ...cause you will need alot of gold to do it ...that means youll need to aquire gold from other players and the more people do what you do the greater the gold vs coto value. We need something like that in the game will revitalise give a real pulse to the economy..the fact that we have it only on a small scale ( some people battling over cotos) ... shows why gold is going down ..cotos going up...

None wants to invest in gold its an inflationary currency ...all games have the exact same system...a plex in eve use to be 200k isk few years back now its prolly 1 mil isk ..its the way ingame economy works ...but people invest in isk to buy out huge quantities of stuff they can use..from regional markets ....in sota everyone tries to dump the gold as soon as they make it because they see it losing value by the day and theres not much sense to start buying stuff (with gold ) large scale that few people use and even fewer will find it.... Buying and reselling on a large scale is the biggest gold sink a game can have ....and we dont have it ...it requires those who play the markets to constantly have a gold reserve at hand for that next big buy out ....

None said anything about killing the purpose of vendors ... you will be able to do a search for goods , teleport or go to that vendor and buy the stuff ... how is that killing the purpose of vendors . Nothing gets killed or destroyed .

Youre suggesting that we should keep everyone trapped in a trade system that forces players to spend hours shopping ...just so the towns look more populated ?

The only reasons for players to spend their time in a town are - fishing ,shopping , during events , when crafting ... if none of these activities occur towns are ghost towns ...nothing changes with a search tool except that people will find what they need faster and move on to other activities ..adventuring..so on...

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  20. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

The only reason I play online is to set up my little shop man with my little tailored goods and to do a spot of agriculture, design my little home(s), maybe run an Inn one day (if they automate the UI a bit). We spoke about this once in-game, the expression of self I think you called it and it has stuck with me. :)

I think regional search UI is a fair middle-ground. Maybe even make players use the Overworld for it and have a little "consulting the map" animation play for the character when they pop the UI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.