Glyphs = captcha for bots?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Gunnar Macleod, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunnar Macleod

Gunnar Macleod Avatar

After finally getting the hang of glyphs I think I am starting to get it. First, it is like turning on closed captioning for the first time on a foreign film. It takes a while to sink in but eventually hopefully you just get used to it. Maybe in a future version we can resize the buttons and move them around. Second, it is a genius way to help prevent bots. It is a built in captcha. I apologize if this idea is posted but after playing mmo's for several years and seeing bots running rampant I see it as very creative attempt!

Tahru likes this.
  2. Nubelite

Nubelite Avatar

If you watch some of the interview videos they have ideas they might implement that unintentionally have anti-boting features. One mentioned in the February 17, 2015 stream is the idea to have the zone be dynamic. Creatures don't report right away, or in the same spot. Even some zones where they don't re-pop until you either left the zone or wait a long period of time. The idea was for game play focus on enjoying a party quest or adventure where you don't have things popping up under or behind you but instead make it a bit more realistic feel.

Gunnar Macleod and Tahru like this.
  3. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

While I am a full supporter of Bot prevention, I'm not sure the glyph system will do it. Ultimately, the images are always the same, and can be prepared and predicted. I actually forsee a third party program that gives you keybinds without a locked deck, something that attempts to find and use the first available fireball whenever you push 1, the first available heal touch whenever you push 2, etc... and then seeing players who do away with the glyph system that way. And, yes, I expect that to give birth to bots.

Still, if they periodically change the glyph animations (even just having like, ten nearly identical pictures for each ability), they can confound and confuse bots a little. Until the next clever programmer rebuilds the Bot to recognize all ten images...

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.