Gold sinks

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by enderandrew, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

They have done that repeatedly, reduced mob loot quality, increased Mob hit points, lowered mob density.
    They are running out of ways to limit the gold from adventuring, many of us already don't bother to loot any more, or just salvage everything, just fiight mobs that don't drop loot at all.

They are never going to be able to stop people that sell to other players from accumulating wealth, unless they do like Diablo and remove all forms of player to player trade.
    At that point we can all just play offline mode, because there isn't a game left.

There was 1..count them 1 person that figured out how to make 25k per hour last release. so at 40 hours a week, works out to a million a week.

The best spots in the game in R32 the rest of us found out about capped out at 15k per hour. (going full out at level 70)
    Now the best spots in the game in R33 I know of tops out around 4/5k per hour (going full out at level 70).
    Lower level adventurers will be lucky to get half that rate.

I think they have done a great thing buy putting in the raffle and letting the rich blow their money on tickets.
    It won't really do much for the economy though, because the same thing that made them rich will keep them rich. Selling to other players

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Kaisa, 4EverLost, Dantuin and 3 others like this.
  2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Put a 500 gold toll on all overland map boats and prevent people from using them while overweight.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Before I join your search for suggestions for these things called "Gold Sinks", @enderandrew - could you explain what exactly constitutes a "Gold Sink" and specifically WHY we need them (beyond Chris saying so) ?

4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Great ideas. Regarding control point mages, unless teleport scrolls either cost much more than the mage or the scrolls don't pass control points, this is a lost cause.

5. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

So those of us that live in an NPC city on and island have to pay to get to our house?

6. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

It is not just about having gold sinks, it has also something to do with people being able to reset an instance 20 times an hour.. running in looting something and resetting it again and again.
    Instances should NOT be reset, more then ONCE every 24 hours, no matter how many times you relog. This would be a very easy fix.

7. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Yes, similarly to how those of us who live behind Vauban Pass pay to get to our homes... with our lives.

From Elysium, I can walk without going through a single control point to Longfall, then Verdantis, then Norgard, then North Paladis, then Regalis, then South to Midmar (Britanny), to Grunvald, back to Midmaer, then to Quel and back to Elysium and never once go through a control point.

500 gold Isnt going to break your game experience.

What was excluded in this Control Point free tour? Drachvald, South Paladis and Perenial Coast. The only players currently inconvienenced by control points live here.

8. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

I can kill them in 3 hits and so will you someday, but I will still pay 500gold to get to my house..
    Might not break my game experience but why should I pay 500 gold? and what about those that want to visit and maybe check out the vendors? it would ruin the trade in my local area.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and 4EverLost like this.
  9. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

And when you can 3 shot mobs you won't be concerned over 500 gold.

10. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

So it is okay when others have to pay tax that dont effect you?

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Psst. You don't need to pass a control point to get out of Perennial Coast. There is a valley in the western end of Perennial Coast which goes to Quel, so it is the long way round but still...

Baalice, FrostII, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  12. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Its ok that control points exist that are optional to 70% of the plAyer base?

I travel from Drachvald to Etceter, Elysium Mines, and verdantis shardfalls on the regular, it will effect me plenty.

13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The CP they have is a joke anyway so I count it in the list of areas I refer to as the "MegaRegion".

:)

14. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

paying 500 gold tax to use a boat makes as much sense as people in player owned towns paying 500 gold to use the wagons in the npc cities.

Kaisa and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  15. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Back to the topic...

We still need the pay to attend auditorium that would allow players to pay gold to enter the seating area where they could watch scheduled player hosted plays and skits.

It was a good idea and I'd like to still see it implemented.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'd be good with something like that... Assuming that a "Gold Sink" is really needed to begin with.

| Grave | likes this.
  17. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

It doesn't seem likely that the game is to be tailored for the abnormal. I would imagine that such excesses are being studied, and the system contexts are being examined. Hopefully it will be simpler to solve the problem than to address the symptom.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That must be why I am here.

Tibs likes this.
  19. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Except that is a very expensive solution,keeping unused instances around for long periods burns memory and database space which can lead to server lag in extreme cases.

In extreme cases this opens avenues of attack where large numbers of individuals go into lots of game scenes to degrade performance.

20. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

If there is a problem, and in-game income inequality appears to be a problem, then solutions (like gold sinks) that only address symptoms aren't really solutions. Solve the problem, not the consequences of the problem. Identify the exploit(s) that allow a few are able to amass an unreasonable fortune in so little time and implement measures to prevent those exploits, however innocuous they may seem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.