Gold?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coyotemoon, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coyotemoon

coyotemoon Avatar

So uh anyone got any advise for good places to earn money. just started playing this week since persistence and most everything i did for money before is not so good. Thanks for any help.

2. Drakkhas

Drakkhas Avatar

In the same boat. I prefer to kill for my gold rather than craft. At this time, it feels like I'm being forced into picking up crafting to make any gold. However, if everyone has to be a crafter, then the market will be over saturated with every worthwhile creatable item and not bring in much gold anyways, with the exception being the rare items that roll just right on the stats.

I'm totally in favor of a player run economy, but those of us who prefer not to craft are the ones who buy what we need rather than craft it. Instead of nerfing gold farming into the dirt, it would probably be more beneficial to provide the adventurer with a comparable amount of gold to the crafter. We both put a lot of time in our skills so we can do what we like to do in game and progress. Then that way, the adventurer would actually have gold to spend on what the crafter makes.

3. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Well if everyone is crafting, the economy won't work either. I'm pretty new to SotA as well and still trying to figure everything out myself. R33 seems to had a huge imact on the ingame economy and likely needs some more tweaks again to function properly. We will see how things turn out.

4. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

well...from my side:

Nobody is forced into crafting. If you play alone like me, depending on where you start...you go to the next "newb" scene and enjoy the click - fight there. Next to Resolute, its Highvale. There you have pesky elves and brigands you can kill for xp and get their gold and stuff. Depending on how much your character can carry, you can make about 1k gold per trip of...maybe 45 mins?

Thats a pretty good standard and will keep at that level for the time you play. Higher brigands, that are orange for me right now, are harder to kill of course, but dont drop better gear...so even if you get better in your skill and tackle higher mobs, they payout will stay the same, with the difference that your character can carry way more once your STR and carry weight get up.

Yepp...you carry 40 shady shortbows, 30 shields, 40 short swords and and and...and wait till you have to double click each item at the vendor during town lag.

--

As a solo player I like being self suficient...means I harvest stuff on the side while killing stuff and put everything in the bank...once a week I got enough to maybe craft a few pieces of armor or weapons to play another week.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

If you want to sell multiple items to the vendor, you can either use ctrl click to select multiple or shift click to select the range (be careful not to sell your regular gear by accident).

6. Leeford

Leeford Avatar

I have been doing both, killing for gold and crafting for gold. I do much better killing for gold.

As for selling my crafted stuff, I typically put a few items, that I would consider desirable, on a public vendor in a major city for 10% less than the lowest listing for that item or a similar item. But stuff just does not seem to sell very well. I get the feeling that people are just generally making what they need for themselves and only the most heavily enchanted and mastercrafted gear will make any real money.

As for killing for gold, I found a place I could farm and make about 3.5k an hour in a 5 skull zone using a spider per. I had been focusing my exp pool on leveling up Taming since winter was coming for Taming. I managed to get Tame Creature to the 80's, summoning to the upper 60's, and the rest of the skills in the 50's and 30's. But now, even with my taming skills leveled up moderately, my pet cannot solo anything in a 5 skull zone and obviously needs more work in the skills. However with that said, my gold average from the drops themselves tanked big time. Almost everything dropped was in the yellow for durability, making the haul worth much less. I made basically 1.9k in an hour down from the normal 3.5k an hour. Hopefully, that was just a bad hour.

7. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Merci mon ami for your ever lasting betterment of my playtime. I'm not done learning ;)

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I remember how refreshing it felt to find out the existence of charge attack when it wasn't super obvious back then. :)

Before the arrows are sold in bundle, I was like, "man, arrows were too expensive and did little damage." Some guy told me I was supposed to use charge attack... Oh... Woops.

9. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

With the previous r32 economy fueled by high hourly gold earning rates, many players could buy things frivolously and gold was spent with less thought, thus those players being a mini economy themselves.

Now, gold is being sucked out of the economy, players have to tighten their belts as income is diminished. Yes, you can harvest and sell resources to crafters, but will crafters buy them if there is not enough demand out there for the items?

Coupled with Sota not having multiple characters on an account to reroll, coupled with items' not bound to a player and can be reused indefinitely by repair and Coto, buying crafted gear or items is usually a one off deal with few repeat customers for a crafter, leading to less sales. (unless consumables specifically like collars or scrolls.)

Thus, r33 will soon show the true prices of Coto, items, resources, and services once players realize that income has been nerfed, and there is no healthy existing relationship between a farmer, adventurer and crafter.

A vibrant player economy needs a certain threshold number of players to buy enough to create demand, coins will circulate properly and the economy will be balanced.

Tldr, the game must have enough players providing fresh demand and provide a good balance between the trinity of farmer, adventurer and crafter to sustain growth in the future.

I am enjoying the imperfect gameplay currently but these weak fundamentals worry me.

If my insight makes sense, will it be recognized and the game tweaked in time for release next year? Will players stream in to help support a game whose very system requires players in the first place?

I'm sitting by the scrying orb waiting to see the answers.

10. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Exactly this is what should have been done. I don't want to craft I want to buy from a crafter. But the way gold is right its just not affordable. They are creating a situation where everyone is forced to be a crafter and gather and I fear its going to ruin the economy.

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This was a very good post, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree.

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't do this, but if I was only concerned about gold I would gather every piece of wood, cotton and ore possible and sell those on a public vendor to players and then sell all the drops to a blacksmith vendor. That would make a boat load.

I am a carpenter in game, so I gather but I salvage and consume everything, selling only my crafted products. I know for a fact I make but a fraction of what I could have doing what I said above.

Finally, there is always the pure economic money making of buying low from people and reselling it for more elsewhere. This however, takes a lot more legwork, record keeping and organization. But you can get filthy rich doing it.

coyotemoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.