Graphical stuttering with SOTA

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Mishikal, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

After my wife's computer died (CPU fried from overheating) and mine kept overheating while playing SOTA (even with 6 case fans & cooling systems...) we upgraded to new systems with the following specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16) System RAM: 32685
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GPU RAM: 11049

However, we first ran into an issue with the game locking up. Disabling anti-aliasing resolved that problem.

Now we run into an issue where periodically the game will start stuttering. Always happens when going by player housing. Once it starts, it won't clear up without quitting and restarting. Hard to reproduce because walking by the same location doesn't necessarily cause it to occur again.

Thoughts welcome!

Current graphics settings are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Does anything show up in the /debug console?

Mishikal likes this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I'll have to pull that up next time it happens, forgot about it. :)

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

whenever any of my temp (GPU or CPU) goes 70 degrees C... I stop playing SotA...

which is weird, I never get that kind of high temp when playing GTA5 which is, in my opinion, graphically superior than SotA....

Feeyo, Mishikal and Ataniiq like this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Well, as I noted above, the CPU/GPU resource usage is intense in SOTA. That drives up the temp enormously. Thankfully with the new systems I'm not seeing anything close to what the old systems were hitting (60C-85C). 85C was the point at which it fried my wife's CPU.

6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Which is weird, as normally the PC should not fry out. It should power off before frying.
    Anyhow, a case with 6 fans does not really say much. It depends on how the fans are placed and what the exact air flow is. You should have a lot of intake fans from the side/front. And a few out take fans at the back.
    The air flow should be as much as possible "cold" air into the case and some "warm" air out.
    If you have all the fans blowing in "cold" air into the case and not enough out, it does not really help.

To come back at your stuttering, your system should run Sota on max settings without problems.
    As I have not logged in for some time into Sota I can not say if the stuttering is some new in the game client or not.

Last time I played I did not have any stutterings, and my system is lower end then yours.
    Try updating your nvidia drivers to the latest version if you did not already do so.

7. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I have not experienced any stuttering. I also have not experienced particularly high temps; however, I have a full-size case with optimal fans and a CPU cooler (as well as a hybrid card with water cooling).

8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It did... but wouldn't come back after that. ;)

Yes, exactly. It was a solid setup. ;)

Yeah drivers are all current. It only happens randomly, and only in towns. I've had it happen in Brittany Wharfs and a few different PoTs (Novia Market, Crafter's Town) so far. Next time it happens I'll throw up the debug console and see if anything shows up there. I also had no stuttering with the old GPUs (980 & 1080). It's just with the 2080 that this started happening, same driver verion.

Feeyo likes this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Just to rule out some heating issues, try putting up a hardware monitoring tool to observe the load and core temp. Also check to see if you run on lowest setting and confirm if you still see the problem. Gradually crank up everything back until you spot the cause. Hopefully, that will provide some clue.

Best wishes!

10. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

My new system stays at 40C or lower. It's purely game related and purely related to being in towns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.